Miami FSU Game

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Having watched most of this game, I think it's an even bet. FSU had a big back -- wore 9 -- who ran tough like Benson and Miami had a hard time getting him on the ground. Their linemen did not look overly big. We might be able to control the clock and get points. Their running game was non-existent. But their QB and receivers looked like the real thing to me. They showed that CPJ's assertion that teams that can't run the ball don't win isn't always true. QB pressure might well be the key. If we don't mix it up and chase their QB around some, they will pass the ball all the way down the field on us and match our scores. It could come down to whose place kicker makes the big winning field goal.

MountPGT1990

Banned
Having watched most of this game, I think it's an even bet. FSU had a big back -- wore 9 -- who ran tough like Benson and Miami had a hard time getting him on the ground. Their linemen did not look overly big. We might be able to control the clock and get points. Their running game was non-existent. But their QB and receivers looked like the real thing to me. They showed that CPJ's assertion that teams that can't run the ball don't win isn't always true. QB pressure might well be the key. If we don't mix it up and chase their QB around some, they will pass the ball all the way down the field on us and match our scores. It could come down to whose place kicker makes the big winning field goal.

Let's hope it doesn't come down to needing a FG to win.... I still have nightmares of the UT game shank you very much

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Getting pressure on the QB always makes a difference.

---

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
You folks who think we will kill Miami are (pardon the phrase) nuts!

Miami's offense woke up against an FSU defense that is far superior to ours and drove the field to win the game. That FSU secondary has All Americans and future NFL draft picks playing back there, and Miami beat them. Our defense has played heroically so far, but Miami will expose every weakness we have defensively. Can you see our LB's trying to cover those crossing routes, slants, and dump-offs to their backs out of the backfield? They should move the ball at will on us.

Our only real chance to is play and clean game on offense (no turnovers), control the clock and limit their possessions, and we MUST finish our drives with TD's and not FG's. What has killed us in recent games with Miami is we drive down he field and then get stopped in the red zone. We either failed on 4th down or kicked FG's, and suddenly you're behind 14-3 and playing catch-up the rest of the game. I do think we can run on them. I think we'll pile up yards between the 20's running the ball.

But this game will be a huge challenge for us, and right now I am not feeling good about our chances. We haven't played a clean game yet on offense and we saw against Tennessee how our defense *can* be beaten (and how quickly it can happen). Can we win? Yes! but the odds are against us.

northgajacket

Banned
Richt has always reminded me of McCartney, pretend to be a class act but never actually practice what you preach. As for the Miami game, I do believe they are vulnerable, they had to pull off a victory in the dying seconds against what we are now seeing is not a great FSU team, but we will see.

northgajacket

Banned
I object to calling Coach Richt a piece of "ex...", and I also wouldn't lay the blame for the thuggery on him. As far as the football culture is concerned, Georgia has had a thuggish culture going back probably as long as I can remember, which for college football, that's the mid '70s. Most schools with the bulldog as their mascot (think the Citadel, Yale, or Miss. State) portray the mascot as a noble creature, whereas the Georgia bulldog was always a junkyard dog kind of animal. This is reflected in the UGA style of play as well as in the nature of much of the fan base. After leaving the '78 game with a helmet spear to the back, Eddie Lee Ivery entered the game again only to have his knee messed up by some cheap play. He was never the same again, and it probably contributed to his short career in the NFL. Things only got worse after Georgia won the championship in '80. Herschel and many of the players were class acts, but the fan base quickly turned into one of the most classless in victory I've ever seen. And they've only gotten worse since.

If you listen to their choice of music at games, or see the way some of their fans dress, it's all very dark. Every home game is like halloween. Not even Coach Richt's presence there seemed to change the tide, and I believe because of the deteriorating level of the culture surrounding UGA football, it was one of the reasons he was run out of Athens. He wasn't their type of man. No one can fault him for wanting to go back to his alma mater. But Miami has its own thuggish culture to deal with as well. Al Golden had the unenviable job of coming in there and trying to make it work. And to his credit, he did change the culture in the locker room a great deal. He just couldn't win. But to lay the blame for bad fan and player behavior at either school on Coach Richt is a bit much, considering the long histories both schools have for thuggish behavior.

It's a trash culture, that is why I never became a uga fan. I did not want to associate myself with the rednecks and trailer trash.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Roof?

FSU's big problem is not their D.
I agree with you Whiskey. Their D is not their main problem. Their O was pretty weak for much of the game, their QB is young and learning but they came back and put a couple of good scoring drives together, the last one with just over a minute to go. So the O should have got the job done. If you are a FSU fan, they are right now crucifying their D for giving up that last drive inside of a minute and so many 3rd and longs. Just like this board would if we had let that happen. With all their great athletes in coverage, it just should not have happened. So, it must have been scheme, because they have a number of guys on the D that are going to play on Sunday. JMHO.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I agree with you Whiskey. Their D is not their main problem. Their O was pretty weak for much of the game, their QB is young and learning but they came back and put a couple of good scoring drives together, the last one with just over a minute to go. So the O should have got the job done. If you are a FSU fan, they are right now crucifying their D for giving up that last drive inside of a minute and so many 3rd and longs. Just like this board would if we had let that happen. With all their great athletes in coverage, it just should not have happened. So, it must have been scheme, because they have a number of guys on the D that are going to play on Sunday. JMHO.

I know giving up a late, minute and a half, game winning drive hurts. It does. But....It's a bit absurd for FSU fans to crucify their D now.

FSU O played sub par for all but about 2 drives during the game. They were able to run it pretty effectively with Akers when they chose to. But they pretty much abandoned the run game in the second half and didn't run it any in their last drive. Just one or two runs in their last drive would have allowed them to control and burn the clock. If so UM wouldn't have had 1:30 on the clock.

Jimbo deserves more criticism than Kelly imo but this is typical fan base mentality. Blame the D first because they are supposed to be perfect. Nevermind that the rules of the game favor the O nowadays. That's why you want the ball last in a close game.