Film Room Merry Christmas, y'all!

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
We dodged a bullet in this one guys. We needed every single poor play by them to pull this out. Yes, we made some plays, too, but they had several unforced, bone-headed, extremely costly mistakes. The INT that set up the game winner was huge. That receiver was wide open and Eason simple threw a bad ball under no duress. That dude had a lot of green, too.
If Eason throws a ball to lead the receiver, there's a good chance RRC bats it down at the LOS. Then it's 3rd and 9 with one more play for us to get the ball back.

Then on the mutts final failed drive of the game, Nauta missed a ball on 3rd and 2 that easily puts them on our 45 with about 15 seconds left. Even though, the ball was low and to the outside while the receiver was turned inside, it was still very catchable.

What concerns me about the second play above is that AJ, who had Nauta, was literally 27 yards off the LOS and he reacted late to the throw. If he's just 5 yards shallower, reads the qb's eyes (who stares down his target) and breaks on the throw, he'd have been in position to put a highlight reel lick on Nauta making their f'up moot.

Look at 33:54.

We lucked out but I guess luck was on our side for a change.
So what you're saying here is, both teams made bone-headed mistakes.

Another way of rewriting this post could be, UGA needed every single poor play from GT to stay in the game.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
If Eason throws a ball to lead the receiver, there's a good chance RRC bats it down at the LOS. Then it's 3rd and 9 with one more play for us to get the ball back.
Nope. Rook was inside the throw, not outside it. If Eason was on target, the ball would have been further away from Rook, not closer to him.

So what you're saying here is, both teams made bone-headed mistakes.

Another way of rewriting this post could be, UGA needed every single poor play from GT to stay in the game.
Maybe, I dunno. Our mistakes didn't stick out to me the way theirs did. Their mistakes were catastrophic and were simply poor execution. Eason threw two balls off target with little to no pressure. They weren't even tough throws. I will say our stout run D in the 4th qtr made them go to the air when earlier they were just bulldozing us. So, in a way, we forced them into passing. When you throw the ball, 3 things can happen and two of 'em are bad.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Nope. Rook was inside the throw, not outside it. If Eason was on target, the ball would have been further away from Rook, not closer to him.

Maybe, I dunno. Our mistakes didn't stick out to me the way theirs did. Their mistakes were catastrophic and were simply poor execution. Eason threw two balls off target with little to no pressure. They weren't even tough throws. I will say our stout run D in the 4th qtr made them go to the air when earlier they were just bulldozing us. So, in a way, we forced them into passing. When you throw the ball, 3 things can happen and two of 'em are bad.
My eyes deceive me then. Still looks like inside to me for some reason but I can see how the angle projects outside too.

Either way, I think your opinion has some validity but ignores a lot. If poor execution is considered a mistake, then we made plenty. Watch ibeeballin's defensive breakdown if you want a look. Or longestday's offensive breakdowns. You pointed out our poor positioning on D during their last drive.

What I saw in this game particularly is Eason was not comfortable in the pocket, particularly at the end. Maybe it was game pressure even if it wasn't our guys right next to him. It's not like was showing a propensity to drop dimes and just screwed up at the end. We forced them to throw, as you mentioned.

And I believe with or without the INT or completed catch on that play, we still could have won the game. Both teams proved all year to be above average but not great teams. The chronology in this game (i.e., them taking the large lead first and us responding) shouldn't suggest we needed things to break our way. Could have easily happened in any other sequence with the same outcome, imo, based on the first 3 quarters and 11 games prior.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
Thanks so much for uploading these.

Random thoughts ...

On that first drive we were what everyone says we are: A Triple Option offense. Lol. That's all we ran - 4 straight triples. Poor Andy, fooled every time.

It's sometimes eerie watching PJ on the sidelines during a play. Watch those big pass plays to Brad and Qua: before guys even break open you can see PJ arc his arm up in the air as if he's saying, "There it is ... I knew it." I've said it before, my favorite was in 08 on Roddy's long run to set up the winning FG: as the ball is pitched he makes a round the bases motion with his arm like, "yeah, we blocked that one perfectly ... this is a big 'un".

Animal02

Banned
[FLOAT_RIGHT]
My eyes deceive me then. Still looks like inside to me for some reason but I can see how the angle projects outside too.

Either way, I think your opinion has some validity but ignores a lot. If poor execution is considered a mistake, then we made plenty. Watch ibeeballin's defensive breakdown if you want a look. Or longestday's offensive breakdowns. You pointed out our poor positioning on D during their last drive.

What I saw in this game particularly is Eason was not comfortable in the pocket, particularly at the end. Maybe it was game pressure even if it wasn't our guys right next to him. It's not like was showing a propensity to drop dimes and just screwed up at the end. We forced them to throw, as you mentioned.

And I believe with or without the INT or completed catch on that play, we still could have won the game. Both teams proved all year to be above average but not great teams. The chronology in this game (i.e., them taking the large lead first and us responding) shouldn't suggest we needed things to break our way. Could have easily happened in any other sequence with the same outcome, imo, based on the first 3 quarters and 11 games prior.

[/FLOAT_RIGHT]

Average is 6-6.....we can end up 9-4.....I would say that is much better than average.

gtg147g

Georgia Tech Fan
Then on the mutts final failed drive of the game, Nauta missed a ball on 3rd and 2 that easily puts them on our 45 with about 15 seconds left. What concerns me is that AJ, who had Nauta, was literally 27 yards off the LOS and he reacted late to the throw.

Go back and watch ibeballin's defensive recap. Freeman dropped into coverage on that play and should have covered the TE, but instead took the inside receiver who PJ was already covering. AJ was deep safety. Your general point stands (although I agree with others that we made enough plays to win).. just saying it wasn't AJ that broke that specific play.