Men's Basketball Finishes Regular Season at Virginia, 3/9/24

GT33

Helluva Engineer
There are only 3 teams in the ACC that we can't beat if they have a decent effort and Uva's one of them.

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I thought we actually played pretty well, but too many turnovers in the first half and too many missed 3s in the second kept us from keeping it close. Also, is it just me, or could you call a moving/sliding screen on UVa EVERY single offensive possession they have? They played well, but it seemed they were constantly sliding over in screens to keep our defenders away. Refs swallowed their whistles all game, only calling 13 fouls on both teams all game!

Kudos to Ndongo, who outplayed UVA's bigs all game.

On to the ACC tourney. Go Jackets!

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Not only doesn’t anyone drive to the basket on UVA, final ACC game, at home, senior night and playing what might be their best game all season on both ends of the court, don’t think anyone beats them last night. Houston had one of those home games yesterday too. How did Self’s Kansas do? Don’t think Tech playing flawlessly could beat UVA last night. It’s over. Forget it. On to the next one.
Bennett owns GT as his teams are 19-2 vs GT. UVA played extremely well and they are a tough matchup for our team. They have several on ball defenders that are excellent which creates problems for us initiating our offense. Beackman is likely the ACC Defensive Player of the Year for the 2nd straight year. He was very physical against both Nait and Kye which gave them issues getting around screens and driving into the lane. Credit to UVA. As Nait physically develops he will be able to handle such defenders better.

We could use one more very good ball handler next year!

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Bennett sortas reminds me of a basketball version of CPJ. An odd quirky system that gets the most out if his guys and is tough to play against. Doesn’t necessarily attract NBA level talent in recruiting, but solid talent flourished there. Smart coach.

CDS is relying on his NBA creds to get the best talent to come here where he and his team will coach them up. But no system per se except play hard for 40 minutes.

Well, seems that way to me anyhow. Nothing at all wrong with it if it works.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Bennett sortas reminds me of a basketball version of CPJ. An odd quirky system that gets the most out if his guys and is tough to play against. Doesn’t necessarily attract NBA level talent in recruiting, but solid talent flourished there. Smart coach.

CDS is relying on his NBA creds to get the best talent to come here where he and his team will coach them up. But no system per se except play hard for 40 minutes.

Well, seems that way to me anyhow. Nothing at all wrong with it if it works.
He has a system. Players know the rules. With our talent level at times the system works well and we get lots of open looks. We just are not talented enough to do that every game all game.

We need another player who can drive and score, pass and shoot from 3 point range.

Right now teams with very good on ball defenders on the perimeter give us issues.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
OK to run an NBA style offense but better have guys that can really shoot. Most of the pros are exceptional athletes and can put it on the floor to get their shot as well. We don't have the guys right now to be a top team with this system. At times we can be competitive when the three's are going in. Terry may have made a difference this year. I seem to remember he could take it to the paint and pretty good outside shot. He should have been able to improve his shot even more during this red shirt year. We need to have another scorer when Kelly is not able to go. Unfortunately the fat lady is about to sing for this year. Lots of ups and downs.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
He has a system. Players know the rules. With our talent level at times the system works well and we get lots of open looks. We just are not talented enough to do that every game all game.

We need another player who can drive and score, pass and shoot from 3 point range.

Right now teams with very good on ball defenders on the perimeter give us issues.
Good post. Correct.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Well, duh! This is kinda like saying you could use another million dollars, except you forgot to add “and play defense and lead the cheers at halftime”.
Not at all. Most here are complaining we need a post defender the most. I disagree. We need another perimeter player wit the skill at all 3 levels on offense. We stall when teams keep Nait out of the paint. No one else can effectively initiate off a high ball screen consistently.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
That would be great. Give me the great guard first. Great guard play is the key in college basketball.
Great guard play is especially important in the system we run. It depends on guards who can break down a defender. We don't do a lot of system work like a UVA or VT to put our guards/wings in advantage situations.