Men’s Game vs Louisville

alagold

Helluva Engineer
This team was going to be built around GUARDS (not counting Ush) but it is just not working. Against good teams we get beat on the boards even when all guys play.With Mike and Ush we are an OFFensive threat but not enough to beat good teams.It is scary for next yr if SEVERAL guys don't step up BIG soon.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It seems the players are tentative to shoot. Many times the 12-16 foot jumper is available and if there is a half second delay, the shot is no longer available. This is a coaching issue.
This is rich....Please explain how a players unwillingness to pull the trigger is a coaching issue.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Not OP, but I’d imagine a player may be unwilling to shoot if they feel they’ll get pulled for a quick shot/poor shot selection. Gets into their head.
They should be pulled if they take a bad shot, but Pastner has publicly said that he wants our shooters to shoot it ANY time they're open.

That's why the comment makes zero sense. Here's a hint: it ain't a coaching issue. Mike nor Jordan have been timid, they're firing

The young guys are still finding their way, building their confidence, and that is where the hesitancy comes from.

Do agree that we need Miles and Deebo to grow up quickly because we need their production offensively.

Jack

Jolly Good Fellow
Not OP, but I’d imagine a player may be unwilling to shoot if they feel they’ll get pulled for a quick shot/poor shot selection. Gets into their head.
This hesitancy has gone on the whole season so far. Watch the tapes. Coaching would have made adjustments. Howard has been wide open and if he only hit 40% of those 15-17 footers, it would be beneficial.
The defenses are backing off him.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Coleman and Kelly have the right mentality and it's the same one Mike had. They want to make the right play and not force the issue. Long term that is better than guys who just chuck. But this year we need them to be more aggressive looking for their shot. However it's not a coaching issue. The issue is they need to learn how to be aggressive in their off ball movement to create more good looks, not just shooting more. That is where experience matters more than coaching and one of the reasons why the flu and covid impacted games are such a hindrance. We have shooters who are a half step slow because they are still adjusting to the speed of the college game. We also have ball handlers that are trying to figure out what exactly the team needs of them and the interruptions have taken very important time that was needed to help develop those two areas.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
This hesitancy has gone on the whole season so far. Watch the tapes. Coaching would have made adjustments. Howard has been wide open and if he only hit 40% of those 15-17 footers, it would be beneficial.
I don’t know whether it is coaching or not but I certainly have noticed (with games I’m actually allowed to watch on TV) that defenses hardly pay attention to Howard and seem to just try to clog his passing lanes. But he has free shots every game that he passes up.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
This is a different issue than Coleman/Kelly. From what I have seen, I don't think Howard would hit 40% of a 15-18 foot jumper though I recognize it would be very helpful if he could. Saba I haven't seen try enough to make any judgement.

So I do think it is coaching saying to at least Howard don't look to take that shot (and maybe Saba) - and Howard thinking his minutes would be limited if he takes and misses a couple of shots. But as stated above CJP has given Coleman and Kelly the green light. I agree with Ivy that part of Coleman/Kelly's issue is trying to figure out how to get shots in a continuity type of system at the college level - but I also think CJP would be doing a better job if he had a few wrinkles to get specific shooters a designated shot to get them going (this includes Devoe as well as Coleman and Kelly). Sometimes you just have to know you are being targeted and get to feel it go in. Really helpful.