MEMORIES...(first game)

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Me too. Tony would have won the Heisman if he had stayed healthy; we never had a better back at Tech and all we got was a snap shot of him. He was another O.J. Simpson: 220 lbs, faster then a track star, and able to run through tackles. I particular remember our game with Clemson that year. It was in the mud. Tony came around end and there, right in front of him was a 3 yard gap between a DB and an LB with nobody behind them. Tony cut and … slipped. He threw the ball down in disgust because he knew he would have had a TD if he hadn't slipped. And he would have. Too bad.
Saw him play in High School. He could go from standing still to wide open in one step.
Now back to transfers.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
One of the things OLeary did when he was coaching was to have an afternoon open session with students where he talked about the upcoming game and answered questions. Really built a bond with the students. One of my all time favorite coaches.
Lunch with George! Breakfast with Bobby!

Last edited:

SandySpringsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
The first games I remember going to were the Thanksgiving day freshman Scottish Rite Shriners games against UGA.
I also remember that when I was about 12 my Dad took me to Athens to see Pepper lead the Jackets to a big win in a torrential downpour. It was awesome and I recall we ran into my pee wee football coach, a UGA fan, who was leaving at halftime. Great memories.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
My first game was September 12, 1987 against Citadel. We also beat Indiana State that year.

My first away game was @ Clemson. Went with a fraternity. Bus driver got a speeding ticket. Everyone threw money in to pay for the ticket. We lost, but I don't remember it.

First Div. 1A win, #8 South Carolina (1988) 34-0, went 3-8 beating them, UTC, and VMI.

Inauspicious start to my GT football experience (I came from Connecticut). 2 years later I watched us win a MNC in Orlando.

gt13

Ramblin' Wreck
2007 UNC @ GT. Tashard Choice threw a TD to Taylor Bennett, Nesbitt led a 2 play 70 yard TD drive (1 designed QB keeper for like 20 yards and a TD pass for 50 IIRC), Travis Bell kicked two game winners (he either got iced or there was a penalty but he made both) and then UNC tried a desperation 60+ yard field goal at the buzzer that wasn’t close. Great game

Jacketman

Jolly Good Fellow
My first game was as a 4 year old boy; GT-Troy in 2006. Don't remember much about it but being a 4 year old in the hot September sun, I wanted to leave after the 3Q. My dad was a season ticket holder starting around the '00 season, and he started bringing me along when I was 7 years old for the 2008 season. Perfect timing for an impressionable lover of football, and I was spoiled with my first two seasons as a season ticket holder, 2008 and 2009. Didn't miss a home game or a game that we played in Athens until the 2018 season when we relocated. I miss BDS dearly.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
I think the first game I was present at was the Samford game in 2007. I was working a concession stand for a marching band fundraiser in high school, but I was able to peek into the stadium when we didn't have customers. It was the first major football game I had been to and I remember hearing the (old?) 3rd down chord cheer and being amazed. The first game I was at where I was actually paying attention was the 2010 season opener. I was in the marching band and the first time I marched out onto the field during pregame was surreal. Then during the game I was frustrated we never threw the ball and kept running up the middle. Little did I know...

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
1960 at the Cesspool......

Then 1st BDS@HGF games were the Clemson & Florida flood games about 1961 or 1962. Also saw the LSU game with the Jerry Stovall KO return that also featured Joe Auer's infamous dropped passes from Lothridge.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
1960 at the Cesspool......

Then 1st BDS@HGF games were the Clemson & Florida flood games about 1961 or 1962. Also saw the LSU game with the Jerry Stovall KO return that also featured Joe Auer's infamous dropped passes from Lothridge.
And thanks, I had almost forgotten Auer's drop!

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
Freshman year in 1978, we played California in the first home game. We lost 34-22. I will never forget 'rats on the field' with the freshman going on the field for the football to run through. It was a great experience. I went back home a few years ago and found my old rat hat with that score being upside down.

Who still has their rat hat?

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
IIRC, Auer dropped TWO that day.... there's a YouTube highlight somewhere with Freddy Miller's narration & Joe had dropped one much earlier than the infamous Lothridge Hail Mary.

Funny 60 years later:cool:
I remember the last one as he had gotten behind the LSU defense and they had no chance of catching Joe.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
The day JFK was assassinated, I was at football practice for the YMCA team at my elementary school.
Gray-Y football?
As a kid, my first game was 1966 in the old horseshoe end zone, GT vs Penn State. I think Tech won 21-0. I still remember how fast and tough the Tech kick off team players were. My jeans and pull over shirt were really out of place because almost all of the fans were wearing coats and ties and the ladies wore dresses.