MEMORIES...(first game)

During my lifetime and even a bit before, we have never been able to fill Grant Field unless we were playing an SEC school, Clemson, or Notre Dame. In recent years the Whiteout night games did a pretty good job but not capacity. When we had capacity it generally meant the opposing team were filling up the seats. History lesson, when we played a sub par game and we needed the stands filled or close to it, Bobby Dodd created band day. That was when a bunch of high school bands came to perform at halftime. It filled up the South End horseshoe. Maybe we need to bring that back.....and flash cards.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Yea I’ve never been to a Pack Bobby Dodd in my life time. Closet game was 2009 Wake Forrest, it was pretty much sold out except a couple rows in upper North.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
Yea I’ve never been to a Pack Bobby Dodd in my life time. Closet game was 2009 Wake Forrest, it was pretty much sold out except a couple rows in upper North.
I was at the Wake game as well but the Virginia Tech game that year was rocking and packed. It’s hard to compare the old days (pre Falcon and old horseshoe 60k capacity) to our current situation. Throw in every game is on Tv and people are watching at home on 4K 75 inch screens.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
My first game was GT-Bama, 1979. 57,000 in attendance. Pepper was the coach. That’s when we still played a mostly SEC schedule.
Kind of. We still played AU, UT and the Dwags every year, but Dodd was moving us to a more national schedule for several years after we got out of the SEC. Then after Dodd stepped down as AD, there was interest in getting back in. So as you say, there was a period where we played 5 or 6 SEC games a year. The SEC wasn't ready to expand at that time, so it didn't happen. Then we got in the ACC and here we are. We actually started ACC play in 1979 but football schedules don't change that quickly.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
1984. GT - Citadel. My dad went to Citadel so we were the visitors then. Had no idea then I’d go to GT (I was 13). Didn’t see another one until GT Clemson in 1988 as a freshman. And I always hated Clemson. That was a rough season with Todd Rampley at QB. But Jerry Mays was fun and we had the S Carolina game