MEMORIES...(first game)

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
A thread where we remember our first GT game would be a cool off season thread.

GT vs UNC in 1999. Free white and yellow pom-poms for kids like me.
My first was Jacksonville St 2008. My dad was a HUGE Paul Supporter and still is. It’s funny to watch the games with him sometimes now lol, he just says “Paul would’ve went for that.” And any time it’s a a 3rd and 1 “With Paul this was automatic”.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
I believe my first game was Citadel in 1982. To be honest, I was a much bigger fan of GT BB during my GT years. As many others, 1990 changed all of that for me.
The only reason I’m a Tech fan is because of GT hoops. My dad is a sidewalk fan who started watching Tech basketball in the 80s and was a huge fan of Mark Price. He started loving Football too during the Roof and Swilling days.

5277hike

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't remember the year exactly since I was only 8 or 9, but It was either '62 or '63. I watched GT and FSU tie at 14. Billy Lothridge was the QB. I was shocked that people were actually saying Hell in public!

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I don't remember the year exactly since I was only 8 or 9, but It was either '62 or '63. I watched GT and FSU tie at 14. Billy Lothridge was the QB. I was shocked that people were actually saying Hell in public!
1963. It was 2 weeks before Kennedy was assassinated. That's not right. Tech won that one. The tie occurred the year before and the week before Tech beat no.1 Alabama 7-6.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
The only reason I’m a Tech fan is because of GT hoops. My dad is a sidewalk fan who started watching Tech basketball in the 80s and was a huge fan of Mark Price. He started loving Football too during the Roof and Swilling days.
I was at the Omni for one of Mark’s first games - when I saw him, I said what is he doing out there? 🤣🤣. It didn’t take long to see how special he was.

BurdellJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
1969 Auburn at GT. We hung in there against Pat Sullivan and Terry Beasley, but they won 17-14.
We were there. We lead most of the game. Auburn started deep in their own territory. Seems like I remember Sullivan throwing six straight passes to Beasley with the last one carried by Beasley across the goal line down in front of me in the North stands as the final horn sounded.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
1963. It was 2 weeks before Kennedy was assassinated. That's not right. Tech won that one. The tie occurred the year before and the week before Tech beat no.1 Alabama 7-6.
The day JFK was assassinated, I was at football practice for the YMCA team at my elementary school. We were sent home early. At the tender age of 8 I listened carefully to my parents discussing it. I did not understand why someone would kill the President. I still don't. One thing I do remember about those years, I went to the games at Grant Field expecting Tech to win and they generally did.

LibertyTurns

Banned
it makes me so very, very sad how many Georgia Tech fans worry and whine so much and are so sad about how many of their own fans are in or are not in the stands. For Christ sake, man up and go out and cheer the brave and bold!
I’m surrounded by excuses from my own friends. Too busy or I’m swamped at work, just got back from out of town, kid had a soccer game at 9, got church tomorrow, had to mow the lawn, etc. Last year was difficult to go to games with all the restrictions, but we had a new coach in 2019. Lots of people just gave up. I’d look around in my section and half the regulars were no shows. I hope they come back but I think all this damn pandemic freakoutery has given them a built in excuse to pack it in.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Lots of people just gave up. I’d look around in my section and half the regulars were no shows.
Who knows? I heard TStan talk about attendance, and I don’t think it’s something he worries about. Fans can catch the game live, at a bar, on cable, stream it ... there are so many choices today vs say, 1980. Vandy has about what, 15,000 showing up for a game? And still got their $45 million payout from the SEC for rev share.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
We were there. We lead most of the game. Auburn started deep in their own territory. Seems like I remember Sullivan throwing six straight passes to Beasley with the last one carried by Beasley across the goal line down in front of me in the North stands as the final horn sounded.
That's exactly what I remember. A great effort by our guys, just too much talent on the other side. IIRC. I was in the upper West stands, looking down on Sullivan and Beasley just carving up our secondary.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
First game was College Gameday day vs FSU in 1998 as a freshman in high school. It was family weekend and we had seats in lower West near the South 25 yardline. Loved being so close to the field and in a rocking BDS@HGF! And my sister (AE 02) could not have cared less about GT football, but I was hooked. 20 years later I finally became a STH!

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I was at that heartbreaking game. I was too sad to cry after that one.
Me too. Tony would have won the Heisman if he had stayed healthy; we never had a better back at Tech and all we got was a snap shot of him. He was another O.J. Simpson: 220 lbs, faster then a track star, and able to run through tackles. I particular remember our game with Clemson that year. It was in the mud. Tony came around end and there, right in front of him was a 3 yard gap between a DB and an LB with nobody behind them. Tony cut and … slipped. He threw the ball down in disgust because he knew he would have had a TD if he hadn't slipped. And he would have. Too bad.