Media Day

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
Cuse: When I met you, we were trying to think of questions for Harrison Butker on field after a scrimmage, so I'll try again:
Butker: Which would you prefer against UGA, 8 extra points in blowout win, or just one field goal which is a game winner with no time on the clock.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Cuse: When I met you, we were trying to think of questions for Harrison Butker on field after a scrimmage, so I'll try again:
Butker: Which would you prefer against UGA, 8 extra points in blowout win, or just one field goal which is a game winner with no time on the clock.
One would hope he would pick 8 extra points in a blowout win. :)

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Just in case you missed mine I'll ask it again lol

What was his impression of the early enrollee freshman in the spring? And did any of them make a point to get playing time as a freshman this year.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Notes from MBob Roundtable
  • Became a grandfather last night
  • Scoreboard fixes on schedule for home opener
  • Ticket sales
    • Bump in 2015 coming off success from 2014 plus UGA at home
    • In a good place for this year, doing well. If we get off to a good start then we have a good chance to land in a good place. Where we thought we'd be.
  • Conference expansion
    • Conference call coming up Friday on follow-up items from ACC media day, which is when Big 12 movement started
    • Don't anticipate a great impact to the ACC. They're not going to take our teams.
    • Don't know that they'll be in the position to have a Big 12 network
  • Administrative opportunities to help the football program
    • Continue to be supportive; last year was an anomaly so we have confidence
    • CPJ has done this a long time and has confidence
    • Ongoing ability to make adjustments; no big "ah-ha" that's going to change the dynamic
    • CPJ and team did non-traditional things for team bonding e.g., free throw shooting at Zelnak
  • Ireland
    • Brett Daniels handling logistics
    • More than a football game - cultural, business development, etc.
    • President's office has a lot to do with this; Governor and Mayor will be there
  • Broadcast job
    • Days away from conclusion
  • ACC schedule
    • Very little influence
    • Non-conference scheduling and TV schedules dictate most of it
    • Not ideal from GT side or Clemson side for game 5 days after playing the prior weekend
    • Silver lining is Thursday night games are special
  • Future schedule
    • Discussion includes 8 vs 9 conference games
    • Challenge is balancing non-conference games between teams with permanent rivals vs. those who do not
    • GT's stance is 8 conference games
  • Non-conference schedule in the future
    • Out there looking all the time
    • Tennessee opener next year
    • Series with Colorado coming on the schedule
  • Support staff relative to Clemson/UGA
    • Our hope is to improve financial conditions to support that
    • Reconfigured our player personnel department this year that coach believes are more effective now than in the past
    • Coach has yet to come forward in any serious way with a need for more staff
  • Timing of COFH
    • Do not anticipate GT/UGA game moving to another part of the schedule
    • Conference prefers non-conference to start the year
  • Security in Ireland
    • Certainly talked about it; haven't raised any significant concerns
    • GT is in a large urban area; we do a good job with in-stadium security
  • Financial implications of ACCN
    • Impossible to know; there is no guaranteed check; this is a start-up where we share profits with our partner similar to SECN
    • Distribution levels and subscribers make money; what those numbers will be is impossible to determine

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Highlights from Butker & Davis
  • Greater sense of urgency this year
  • Re: player's team
    • Done a lot of stuff during offseason; meet once every couple weeks as a team; team-building exercises
    • TFT: Team focus time
    • Team meeting with chaplain and talk about team problems; everyone gets closer
    • Individually in last team meeting we talked about what each person can do to maximize their contribution
    • Bringing young guys up to speed
  • CPJ's message about low expectations from media
    • We use it as motivation; coming into season as underdogs
    • Try to focus on what we're doing and want to prove something this year
  • Changes to special teams (Butker)
    • 4th season and 3rd different ST coach; coach Owens recruited me and is working with me
  • Butker's goals for this year
    • Set % goals in the past, didn't work out too great
    • Trying to just keep same mentality regardless of type of kick
    • Feel most mature and comfortable than I've ever felt
  • Breakout players this year
    • Davis: Dedrick Mills looks like a good player so far
  • Standouts on defense
    • Davis: Everyone has been working hard; couple young guys look good - Glanton and Cerge
  • Motivation from sitting at home in December
    • Butker: Weird not going; lot of close games we lost last year vs 2 years ago
  • Thoughts on Ireland
    • Davis: Haven't read much; never been out of the country; very exciting for me
    • Butker: Haven't thought about it; focused on the season; still should be fun and looking forward to it

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Highlights from Law Austin & Gamble
  • Final year (Gamble)
    • Gamble: taking it day by day; enjoying every moment; learned from great players and been on great teams; ready to leave my mark
  • Role this year (Austin)
    • Playing SS and FS in addition to nickle
  • New faces in secondary
    • Austin: everyone working hard; bunch of guys who played a lot
  • Worked on in offseason
    • Worked on hands and feet to translate to the field
  • ACC media days - "AJ Gray potential all-time great"
    • Austin: natural baller; he finds the ball and the ball finds him; glad to play along with him
  • Focus on this year
    • Gamble: just together as a team; lot of leaders
  • Looking back at last year - explanation
    • Lot of injuries; young guys
  • DT position - Kyle/Brentavious
    • Depth at position this year
  • Special Teams
    • Austin: Keeping it similar; getting best players on the field
  • Coach Roof 4th year
    • Gamble: Familiarity breads consistency; allows us to play fast
  • Breakout player for team
    • Austin: AJ Gray
    • Gamble: AJ Gray, every time I see him he makes a play on the ball, whether it's a fumble or INT; that's one thing we need
  • What you know about Ireland
    • Austin: It's far away
    • Gamble: Fish & chips
  • How often the FSU Kick-6 comes up
    • Gamble: the guys always say "there's the hand"
    • Austin: people mistake me for Lance sometimes, so I go along with it
  • Standouts on DL in offseason program
    • Gamble: Kyle and Brentavious; Kyle knows a little about what's going on due to PT last year; Brentavious makes plays and plays with intensity
  • Francis' contribution
    • Gamble: he has all the tools - size/athleticism; needs to put it together on Saturdays and believe in himself

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Highlights from Jeune & Willis
  • AB competition
    • IW: working as a group to get better
  • WR competition
    • RJ: freshmen are stepping up and making plays; during the offseason working with JT
  • RB expectations
    • IW: pride ourselves on getting defenders to the ground, extending plays - "Block, run, have fun" is our motto
  • How important is improvement at AB and WR for JT
    • RJ: JT plays better when he's comfortable with the guys around him
    • IW: More he knows we'll be in the right spots he doesn't have to think as much
  • JJ Green
    • IW: Big "rah rah" guy and speaks up a lot; tries to bring the energy and trash talk to keep the competition going
  • Freshmen WRs
    • RJ: did extra during the offseason
  • Willis
    • IW: Tried to follow in Godhigh's footsteps; tried to use football to make progress with internships at EY and Accenture; now in MBA program
  • AJ Gray
    • RJ: He is a ballhawk; size helps him; excited to see him this year
  • Gantt
    • IW: quick guy; doing work in the film room
  • Breakout player this year
    • IW: Qua Searcy
    • RJ: Justin Thomas... 2 years ago he had great numbers, think he can match that this year
  • JT
    • IW: Been more vocal this year
    • RJ: More vocal; very chill dude, speaking up lately and controlling the offense
  • Team-Building exercises
    • IW: Mtgs once a month; talking with each other; making sure we're all on track academically and health wise as well; closer brotherhood

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Highlights from Burden & Thomas
  • Leadership role in light of last year
    • JT: Not doing anything different; leading the team the same way
  • On OL this year vs. last year
    • FB: I'm the only senior this year, almost the default leader, guys behind me have done well during the offseason and fall camp so far
  • On health this year
    • FB: Feel better than ever; 100%; best I've felt going into any season
  • Klock/Bryan
    • FB: They push me and are doing well/excellent; they've done things over the summer without complaints; always give 100%; they got comfortable in the offense; FB worked with C/G mostly; Trey would help lead the tackles; Will would work with guards
  • On 8 QBs
    • FB: Ton of QBs... hand placement is different, a little rough at the beginning, getting used to it
  • On things within their control this year
    • JT: Need to be better with decision making and being more aware; bonehead INTs and fumbles; need to be more careful with the ball
  • Returning guys from injury
    • JT: guys flying around, lot more confidence, even new guys who sat out and didn't get to play, everyone more fluent
  • On working together for 3 years
    • Both: easier, almost 2nd nature; less thinking and more confidence; JT: notice a difference when FB is not in the game
  • On dealing with off field circumstances
    • FB: it's been better not worrying about it; lack of sleep last year; talk with my brother and mom to keep me straight; know dad is watching and wishing me well
  • On being leader
    • JT: at this point if I need to say something about last year, it's too late; this is a new season, we've all come together closer; lot of guys understand expectations
  • AJ Gray
    • JT: I don't pay attention to the defense, I just see jersey colors so all guys look the same, think he'll be a good player
  • On starting in Ireland w/ conference game
    • JT: it'll be different, been 4-5 years since starting with a game like this, need to start fast and can't afford to get behind
    • FB: trying to look at it as making up for the lack of bowl game
  • Confidence in guy coming back and new guys
    • JT: first 3 practices, vibe is a lot different; guys are more vocal; no second-guessing so far
  • On depth on OL
    • FB: Brad Morgan has done a good job and will get a chance to play; Stickler has surprised some people the first couple of days and has stood out
  • What you know about Ireland
    • FB: Lot of sheep
    • JT: Not much, I'll figure it out when I get there
  • Breakout player this year
    • FB: Marcus Marshall
    • JT: Lot of guys to have a break out year - AB, BB, OL; everybody's got a chance
  • On working with MM, DM, MA all spring vs. injuries last year
    • JT: All those reps in the spring, summer, and camp with the same guys let's you get to know the person and how they play the game; it's a lot better
  • TaQuon Marshall
    • JT: He's a great player and shifty; this fall camp he needs to make sure he knows the offense more and the checks; different than being an AB playing QB
  • Brad Stewart's hair
    • FB: think he took it out; good way to start camp; took heat
    • JT: thought it was cool; wanted to see how long it would stay

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Notes from CPJ
  • Opening statement
    • Really productive offseason; good winter program and spring practice; pleased with work ethic/attitude
  • ACCM - On JT being "too comfortable"
    • Not surprised; perception going into last year; tried to be cautiously optimistic; when guys started getting hurt it compounded; one of the hardest things is keeping guys grounded; never as good or as bad as it seems; fine line between winning and losing
  • Like it better when people are ignoring you?
    • Might be a fair analysis; if you're competitive it gets you going; that's the nature of where we are
    • Surrounded by programs with double the budget; need to have a chip on your shoulder to survive; not in the same place with some other programs
    • Haven't historically handled [expectations] well here
    • Media hasn't been right yet; good thing is we get to the play the games
  • On comparison of 2014 to 2010
    • Somewhat similar; 3 or 4 guys left early
    • Never had a year like last year; unbelievable with number of injuries; inevitably the injuries happen at places where you're thin e.g., BB, then by 3rd or 4th game we lost 7 ABs, then started losing guys defensively; played 14 True-Frosh which is the most we ever played
    • Still a really young team this year but with more experience
  • Offseason accomplishments this year vs. last year
    • As a team overall, we're in much better condition, dropped a ton of weight
    • Made it an emphasis on Body Fat % rather than weight; gave norms/guidelines from NFL positions; number of pounds doesn't indicate good weight
    • Want to gain muscle mass/strength
    • Still have individuals that struggled but as a team we as are the best we've ever been
  • Ken needs to move his Honda CR-V from Callaway Plaza
  • Benefit of Ireland game
    • Players will remember it for a lifetime
    • As a coach you'd rather not play the game over there, particularly as a conference opener
    • Game is so important to this season to get the trend going in the right direction
    • Need to find right balance of cultural benefits vs. being dialed in for an important football game
    • Remember playing ND in '96... fans thought ND was the underdog - how could they beat the Navy?
  • AJ Gray
    • Overall, he's a really well rounded kid; feet on his ground, great athletic ability, great football sense; played before he was ready and at times got lost; still had a couple INT
    • This spring he was almost impossible to block; like to say you teach it; some of it is just innate ability; no one is going to crown him All-Pro as a sophomore in college
    • If he had committed to a school other than GT he would have been a 4*; all the schools around us tried to recruit him; solid family
  • On DL being most veteran group
    • Pat's played a lot of positions and fought through injuries
    • Need Francis Kallon to have a big year; has the ability and started to get better a year ago; need light to come on
    • KeShun - hopefully he'll get back on track from freshman year
    • Shuffling the rest of the guys
  • On team concept this year
    • Never know until halfway through the year; reason we elect captains 3-4 games into the year
  • On JT forcing things last year
    • Thought he got frustrated really easily; he had some pretty good players around him in '14; didn't really have to be the leader
    • In '15, 3 games in he's surrounded by guys who never played
  • On WR depth i.e., Philpott
    • We'll see if they can stay out on the field, some guys with talent
  • OL this year vs. last year
    • Better athletically than we were a year ago... we'll see how that plays
    • Last year Klock/Bryan were freshman; don't even know how Freddie played with everything going on in his life
    • Eason Fromayan changed his body as much as anyone on the team
  • Chris Griffin
    • Probably not going to play; talked this morning and came to that determination
  • One thing to say to the team before first game
    • Take care of the ball
    • Think turning point last year was the UNC game, for both teams; turnovers cost us the game
  • Body fat/weights
    • Natural body composition - can't add bad weight because it's like playing with a napsack
    • JT is a much better player at 185 than 198; at the higher weight he's not as effective
  • On opposing defenses
    • Teams line up the same way as they have 20 years ago
    • 9 games last year the teams lined up the same way; might be different because of personell but otherwise
    • Clemson lined up the same way as Alcorn/Tulane but with different cats
  • On GT defense this year
    • Key stats for us are 3rd downs, Avg yards/play, turnovers
    • Should average more points/game when playing UNC, likewise defense ppg will go up
    • 2 years ago we gave up yards but we made up for it with turnovers
    • A team like Stanford is going to give us less ppg than Arizona
    • Think we played fewer plays last year than anyone else on defense
  • Graduate transfers
    • Think rule has been exploited
    • It it were all about academics I'd be all for it
    • Would hate to see football go the same way as basketball, and we're getting closer to that

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
Wow on the comment about Chris Griffin. He should be thanked for this time and service to the team and GT. Let's hope he gets his degree as that will provide opportunities for the rest of his life.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Thanks for the great summary Cuse. Can't wait to see what we have this year. The quotes are similar to past years, not much else they can say. But dropping body fat sounds like a revelation. I will say that the football players look like football players now. I've been struck over the years watching our team in street clothes about how well they blend into the general population. No more.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for the great summary Cuse. Can't wait to see what we have this year. The quotes are similar to past years, not much else they can say. But dropping body fat sounds like a revelation. I will say that the football players look like football players now. I've been struck over the years watching our team in street clothes about how well they blend into the general population. No more.

I know flea has talked about Will's transformation and growth. Trust me, he isn't kidding! Will is a full grown man now. The Morgans look great, kidded with them both about their work in the weight room. These young men are going to be GOOD!