Media Day

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Along with Fan Day this Saturday, we hope to have the opportunity to participate in the Media Day portion for the 3rd year in a row.

Like last year, I'm interested to take some questions from the board to the Q&A sessions. No promises on what will be selected and asked. The press conference includes:
  • CPJ
  • DB Lawrence Austin
  • OL Freddie Burden
  • PK Harrison Butker
  • LB P.J. Davis
  • DL Patrick Gamble
  • WR Ricky Jeune
  • QB Justin Thomas
  • AB Isiah Willis
  • Roundtable with AD Mike Bobinski

Fire away...

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
CPJ: The rules committee continues to tweak the rules for blocking below the waist. Can you clarify what the rule changes are this year, and if it will affect our scheme?

FB: Looking back, which previous player impressed you as a locker room leader?

IW: What did you focus on during the offseason to help prepare for this year?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
To the guys on D....
1. What do you expect of your unit this year and what lessons were learned from last year?
2. Who are the leaders on D and which guys are stepping up as big play makers this year?
3. What guys on O are hard to handle and who do you predict will give opposing Ds the most trouble.

To the guy on O.
1. Same as above.
2. Same as above but for the O.
3. What players on D are the toughest to handle and who hands out the biggest hits?

For CPJ.
1. Describe team chemistry coming off a disappointing season.
2. What are the current strengths and weaknesses of the team.
3. What position groups appear to be most competitive heading into fall camp?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Cpj
In 15 it seemed like the defenses were more agressive thus causing many misreads that made for more 3 & long and passes out of bounds.
In 16 do we expect a lot more blitzes (trailing db blitz following pulling ab).

Background
Imo
In 15 it seemed like the defenses were moving towards the line of scrimmage at every "option" point. This forced the hand offs , pitches , to be made faster. At times when it was a pass play tbe pitch defender was not waiting but already after the qb before he could set up.
Their goal seemed to be get the ball out of jt s hands.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
The problem with agressive Ds last year was our inability to make them pay passing the ball. If that continues Ds will continue to crash the box and stuff our runs and pitches.

Although it might not be the proper forum for this question to MBob, I would really like to know what the Athletic Department thinks about the student-initiated drive to make every game a Gold Out, other, of course, than the White Out game. Are he and the marketing people in the Athletic Department in support of such a move, and is there anything they can and will do to promote it.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The problem with agressive Ds last year was our inability to make them pay passing the ball. If that continues Ds will continue to crash the box and stuff our runs and pitches.
Calling pass when they are aggressive is tough as well = saw jt on the run quite a bit.
Hope it was us being young verses the opponents doing stuff we have to be perfect ro be successful at execution.

Go JACKETS

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer

We have to dump the ball short in the flat some. The OLBs have to cover that area and that will keep them from blitzing in the middle so much. We have had some ABs wide open but we never seem to look that way. With the talent at AB this year I hope we get them the ball in space and let them run.

Defenses know we like to throw long to the WRs and to throw deep sideline routes to the ABs. These routes are covered by the Ss and CBs. We have not made the LBs respect the pass and they have been left free to charge the backfield. Some screens and flat passes should help our overall game, especially with Searcy, Cottrell, and Marshall receiving and then running in the open field.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
We have to dump the ball short in the flat some. The OLBs have to cover that area and that will keep them from blitzing in the middle so much. We have had some ABs wide open but we never seem to look that way. With the talent at AB this year I hope we get them the ball in space and let them run.

Defenses know we like to throw long to the WRs and to throw deep sideline routes to the ABs. These routes are covered by the Ss and CBs. We have not made the LBs respect the pass and they have been left free to charge the backfield. Some screens and flat passes should help our overall game, especially with Searcy, Cottrell, and Marshall receiving and then running in the open field.
Throw in a slant every now and then too

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Ask Pat about competition among DTs, but start by calling him Justin.

Ask CPJ to discuss our Defense and our challenges to be more competitive on that side of the ball and/or whether.any changes besides players were made to improve D this year.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Ask CPJ what he thinks is the single biggest thing that could be done to help recruiting (outside curricular changes). I'd also like to know his take on what kind of toll our challenging academic regimen has on our performance during the season. I know he mentioned that Justin had two difficult courses last fall and that it affected his play to some degree.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
In the offseason paul mentioned potentially looking at scheme tweaks to help the OL. Without stating what those are did they do that? And did they also make scheme changes defensively to drive better results; as last year blitzes seemed way too telegraphed and the timing didnt hit properly.

Does he think out overall defensive rankings the last three years (70s, 90s, 50s) match the level of talent we had on the field. Lol. He will never answer this.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
For P.J. Davis: Name someone on defense this year that you are really excited about or that you think may surprise some people.

For Isaiah Willis: Which new running back do you think will have a breakout season?

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Ask cpj how the freshman that enrolled early did during the spring? and if any of them made a case to get playing time this year as a true freshman?

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Does anyone know when fall camp starts? I've searched the board, but for some reason I couldn't find a specific date. Also, sorry for asking this here, I didn't know where to put my question... Never mind. There's a thread on it that started yesterday, I'm an idiot.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Does anyone know when fall camp starts? I've searched the board, but for some reason I couldn't find a specific date. Also, sorry for asking this here, I didn't know where to put my question... Never mind. There's a thread on it that started yesterday, I'm an idiot.
It starts tomorrow.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Along with Fan Day this Saturday, we hope to have the opportunity to participate in the Media Day portion for the 3rd year in a row.

Like last year, I'm interested to take some questions from the board to the Q&A sessions. No promises on what will be selected and asked. The press conference includes:
  • CPJ
  • DB Lawrence Austin
  • OL Freddie Burden
  • PK Harrison Butker
  • LB P.J. Davis
  • DL Patrick Gamble
  • WR Ricky Jeune
  • QB Justin Thomas
  • AB Isiah Willis
  • Roundtable with AD Mike Bobinski

Fire away...
Will we have a play by play announcer or just skip finding one, will we ever find a radio station that knows we exist.