Mbob

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Just watched pjs full presser. He won't even mention mbobs name, but man did he refer to him. I hope cpj can share some details about what went on between them in a few years.

And speaking of, that kinda makes me wonder about Brohm turning down his alma mater to stay with mboob @purdue.

because maybe stansbury called him.

TaxJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Just watched pjs full presser. He won't even mention mbobs name, but man did he refer to him. I hope cpj can share some details about what went on between them in a few years.

And speaking of, that kinda makes me wonder about Brohm turning down his alma mater to stay with mboob @purdue.

That blows my mind that Brohm stayed with MBob..... CPJ needed to give him a warning hahah

Big Philly

Jolly Good Fellow

There were millions of reasons. For comparison, CPJ's salary was about half that.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
That blows my mind that Brohm stayed with MBob..... CPJ needed to give him a warning hahah
Doubt seriously the AD had anything to do with him staying. As we have seen, Louisville is now an open sewer, and the football program barely exists. The guy learned a little bit at Louisville, anyway.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
Purdue is a good indicator of what Tech is up against. If they can pony up $5,000,000 a season, it shows where the market is for coaches. If we don’t want to play ball at that level, that’s fine, but our fans will have to accept doing some experimental things to compensate. Essentially we’d be the A’s or the Rays in a leave where even the Royals have a pretty high payroll.

Deleted member 2897

Purdue is a good indicator of what Tech is up against. If they can pony up $5,000,000 a season, it shows where the market is for coaches. If we don’t want to play ball at that level, that’s fine, but our fans will have to accept doing some experimental things to compensate. Essentially we’d be the A’s or the Rays in a leave where even the Royals have a pretty high payroll.

They're actually now paying him $6 million a year. And all he's done is give them the same 0.500 record they already had over the last 30 years.

There's no reason we need to pay that. Half the coaches in the ACC IIRC make less than $3 million a year. Tony Elliot at Clemson makes $900k. Scott Satterfield from App St makes $500k. Neal Brown from Troy makes $800k. I would think you could pay any of those guys around $2 million or slightly more - Dave Doeren from NC State makes $2.2 million. Larry Fedora from UNCheat made $2.3 million. Steve Addazio from Boston College $2.5 million.

Now maybe you're implying we have to compete with that in terms of that's what these guys will get offered other places, but I don't think they will be. And there's plenty of good options. So if Satterfield gets offered $4 million by the armpit of Kentucky and chooses to go there (God rest his soul if he does), then that still leaves ample other options. We are a great place to coach at a great time - we don't need to overpay.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
They're actually now paying him $6 million a year. And all he's done is give them the same 0.500 record they already had over the last 30 years.

There's no reason we need to pay that. Half the coaches in the ACC IIRC make less than $3 million a year. Tony Elliot at Clemson makes $900k. Scott Satterfield from App St makes $500k. Neal Brown from Troy makes $800k. I would think you could pay any of those guys around $2 million or slightly more - Dave Doeren from NC State makes $2.2 million. Larry Fedora from UNCheat made $2.3 million. Steve Addazio from Boston College $2.5 million.

Now maybe you're implying we have to compete with that in terms of that's what these guys will get offered other places, but I don't think they will be. And there's plenty of good options. So if Satterfield gets offered $4 million by the armpit of Kentucky and chooses to go there (God rest his soul if he does), then that still leaves ample other options. We are a great place to coach at a great time - we don't need to overpay.
I’m not advocating overpaying; I’m saying that Brohm’s salary no longer represents overpaying. He is the market now.

Deleted member 2897

I’m not advocating overpaying; I’m saying that Brohm’s salary no longer represents overpaying. He is the market now.

I realized as I was typing the response it may come off as replying directly to you, so I didn't mean to imply that's what you were advocating.

My position is that there is no reason to pay $6 million for any of those guys. Tony Elliot may command that at a true factory, but has no head coaching experience yet. Those other guys have played in small ponds. There's no way all these other schools looking for coaches are going to pay that much for those types of people. At least not at first. What I could see is high $2 millions to low $3 millions for the initial contract and then bigger bumps once they prove their chops. When they hired Jeff Brohm, it was around $3 million/year. Then they bumped it to $5 million, then to $6 million.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I realized as I was typing the response it may come off as replying directly to you, so I didn't mean to imply that's what you were advocating.

My position is that there is no reason to pay $6 million for any of those guys. Tony Elliot may command that at a true factory, but has no head coaching experience yet. Those other guys have played in small ponds. There's no way all these other schools looking for coaches are going to pay that much for those types of people. At least not at first. What I could see is high $2 millions to low $3 millions for the initial contract and then bigger bumps once they prove their chops. When they hired Jeff Brohm, it was around $3 million/year. Then they bumped it to $5 million, then to $6 million.
Tennessee is only paying Jeremy Pruitt 3,846,000

gtg391z

Jolly Good Fellow
If we pay more than 1.5mil/yr for Tony Elliott then we got ripped off. The guy has never even been a full coordinator.

Deleted member 2897

Jeff Brohm would have left for Loserville otherwise and Purdue had to keep him or wind up with an FCS or MAC head coach

I think they got played. Anybody who wants to coach at Louisville given all the scandals across multiples sports there for the last 10 years is insane. I think he played MBoob to get a raise. What MBoob should have done is show him how he's getting paid above market for 0.500 ball. If Brohm would have left, they could have hired any of the guys we're looking at and had an extra $3 million in their pocket for something else.