Mbob

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
If we pay more than 1.5mil/yr for Tony Elliott then we got ripped off. The guy has never even been a full coordinator.

Then we won’t get him or anyone that will be a good quality coach. Do you follow college football and understand how it works? Either pay up and get in the game or go I-AA.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
If we pay more than 1.5mil/yr for Tony Elliott then we got ripped off. The guy has never even been a full coordinator.

The lowest paid coach in the ACC is Dave Clawson at WFU. He makes $1.8 million a season. I'm not interested in being a "budget" football team. That's what got us where we are today. I don't mind spending money on a coach if we believe he can do the job here. And, as @JorgeJonas pointed out, Jeff Brohm's resigning at Purdue is the new market going forward. If we want to keep up (catch up) then we need to open up our wallets.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
The lowest paid coach in the ACC is Dave Clawson at WFU. He makes $1.8 million a season. I'm not interested in being a "budget" football team. That's what got us where we are today. I don't mind spending money on a coach if we believe he can do the job here. And, as @JorgeJonas pointed out, Jeff Brohm's resigning at Purdue is the new market going forward. If we want to keep up (catch up) then we need to open up our wallets.
Dave Clawson will be going to a bigger program soon with the great job he's done at WF

TheTaxJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Just watched pjs full presser. He won't even mention mbobs name, but man did he refer to him. I hope cpj can share some details about what went on between them in a few years.

And speaking of, that kinda makes me wonder about Brohm turning down his alma mater to stay with mboob @purdue.

What’s an Mboob?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
It's like shotgun shell designation
The 0 buck has lots of little pellets.
The OO has fewer big bigger pellets.

Our Mbob is more like # 8 = many very small pellets that go off w same bang but don't go far or get much done.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I truly believe if we pay our next coach below 2.5 million without spending more than a million on an OC we are going to not be setting ourselves up for success.

Why is PURDUE paying twice as much for a head coach as GT?

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I truly believe if we pay our next coach below 2.5 million without spending more than a million on an OC we are going to not be setting ourselves up for success.

Why is PURDUE paying twice as much for a head coach as GT?

Because Mbob knows that even getting Brohm was a coup.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I like Brohm a lot as a coach, but I let him walk for $6 million/year. $6 million/year puts you in the top 10 of coaching salaries. Brohm is not a top 10 coach. Yes, he beat OSU, but he also lost to teams he shouldn't have. Let Louisville choke on Petrinos buyout and Brohms salary.

$3.5-4.5 million/ year gets you a VERY good coach That isn't the real issue. The real issue will be how much GT will give the next coach for assistants and support staff.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Come on nvguys - got to like Techster. He nails it.

Tstan is asking the head coach- how are u an innovator? Can tstan get the best coach for less with a promise of a higher assistant BUDGET?
What's the right ratio?
At my engineering management company we paid a moderate base salary then maJor bonuses up w rights to buy stock

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Well, then if Elliott was to come into consideration, we lose. He is a hot coaching property making about $900,000 at Clemson with the added enticement of bonuses bases on wins, bowls, etc. I am not saying throw $5 million at him, but $2.5-$3 million will be the competitive rate. It's called market forces. It is senseless, but football is the revenue driver for all the other non-revenue programs, including the Title IX women's sports. Then it becomes an enormous consideration: in my mind $3 million for a football coach is just crazy. But if he puts people in those seats with all the accompanying spending, and there is money for softball, volleyball, track, baseball ... then it becomes a good investment. As much as it sucks. Coaches know it and as one might expect, take advantage of it. (And you can bet anybody coming out of Clemson is going to be well-tutored in the money game by Dabo Swinney. There are those who know him who will swear that in any environment, he will be the smartest guy in the room.)

Deleted member 2897

Well, then if Elliott was to come into consideration, we lose. He is a hot coaching property making about $900,000 at Clemson with the added enticement of bonuses bases on wins, bowls, etc. I am not saying throw $5 million at him, but $2.5-$3 million will be the competitive rate. It's called market forces. It is senseless, but football is the revenue driver for all the other non-revenue programs, including the Title IX women's sports. Then it becomes an enormous consideration: in my mind $3 million for a football coach is just crazy. But if he puts people in those seats with all the accompanying spending, and there is money for softball, volleyball, track, baseball ... then it becomes a good investment. As much as it sucks. Coaches know it and as one might expect, take advantage of it. (And you can bet anybody coming out of Clemson is going to be well-tutored in the money game by Dabo Swinney. There are those who know him who will swear that in any environment, he will be the smartest guy in the room.)

I agree violently. We wouldn’t even pay Satterfield that little. And he makes like $500k. All these guys would command over $2m and Tony I think would push $3m.

Animal02

Banned
If GT is so incapable of competing with the other FBS schools i think they will probably wind up in FCS in the next 10-20 years:rolleyes:
No they won't. If the trend continues and the same dozen or so schools are consistently the only ones making it to the final 4, I think either, 1) the rules will change dramatically to stop the inequity, or 2) they split off into their own league / entity to avoid all the rules.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
No they won't. If the trend continues and the same dozen or so schools are consistently the only ones making it to the final 4, I think either, 1) the rules will change dramatically to stop the inequity, or 2) they split off into their own league / entity to avoid all the rules.
The teams in the other league after the split off will be a new version of the old D1AA

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
It would be foolish to give up the ACC payouts from the ESPN contract. It will only increase with the introduction of the ACC Network.