Marketing Brainstorm

tugdog235

Georgia Tech Fan
I sincerely respect the effort being put into these responses but none of it...none...zilch...nada...is going to work if we don't start winning at a more consistent rate. Building momentum one year and losing it the next is not the way to go about this.

And it would help to see the head man have some sincere joy on his face sometime. Even the man in Tuscaloosa who everyone seems to hate appears to be sincerely enjoying himself sometimes.

paul-johnson-sticking-his-tongue-out-after-beating-fsu.gif

He's in fairly good spirits at (some) press conferences and his radio show. Have you ever watched any videos GT releases of the locker room after a big win? He may not dance, but he is definitely celebrating. I understand casual fans watching games and reading quips who think he's always grouchy but I'd hope GT fans who follow message boards would know that is not the whole picture.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
paul-johnson-sticking-his-tongue-out-after-beating-fsu.gif

He's in fairly good spirits at (some) press conferences and his radio show. Have you ever watched any videos GT releases of the locker room after a big win? He may not dance, but he is definitely celebrating. I understand casual fans watching games and reading quips who think he's always grouchy but I'd hope GT fans who follow message boards would know that is not the whole picture.
Impressive celebration video.

My comment has to do exactly with how the casual fans perceive him. After all my response was to how "do we get our brand more likeable". And the casual fan is the target...not those of us following the message boards.

Thank you very much.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Impressive celebration video.

My comment has to do exactly with how the casual fans perceive him. After all my response was to how "do we get our brand more likeable". And the casual fan is the target...not those of us following the message boards.

Thank you very much.
Where's your evidence that the "casual fan" finds him that way?

His surliest moments are in post practice pressers. What casual fans listen to those? He's had one or two jock talk radio interviews go smarmy but that's in contrast to dozens of national interviews where he's been very engaging if not charming and funny. He's done dozens of sports banquets where he's completely in his element of humor and charm.

I would argue that casual fans don't have an opinion either way and even if they did, certainly don't make ticket purchasing decisions based on it.

If anything, his public persona is that of a straight shooter rather than a bull****ter.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

His surliest moments are in post practice pressers. What casual fans listen to those? He's had one or two jock talk radio interviews go smarmy but that's in contrast to dozens of national interviews where he's been very engaging if not charming and funny. He's done dozens of sports banquets where he's completely in his element of humor and charm.

I would argue that casual fans don't have an opinion either way and even if they did, certainly don't make ticket purchasing decisions based on it.

If anything, his public persona is that of a straight shooter rather than a bull****ter.
Not a grad, never any interest, never toured the campus. No interest. I get to maybe three GT games a year, tops, one in Atlanta, a couple on the nearby road so to speak. Have for years. I am the casual or sidewalk fan and have been more years than I want to remember. Never went to a single game because I liked the coach, though I like Johnson, and never refused to go because I didn't, though I did not like Gailey. I thought the purpose of the game was to watch the game.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos

My evidence is the conversations I occasionally have had with casual fans. And I'd bet my acquaintances are not the only ones that feel that way. Casual fans were the targets of the thread to which I replied. The gist of the thread was how would could better market GT to the casual fan and I believe that from comments I've heard from this target audience they are the same we've heard for years. This audience isn't the one that has the vested interest in the school that we all have, that makes time to go to ramblinwreck.com and search for PJ's last presser, that pulls their hair out year after waiting for consistency in won-lost records. They are the ones that make a casual, fleeting observation of each flash of GT press they see whether its on their local TV station or local news website. Sometimes the visuals that we see are what everyone else sees.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I have several good ideas but know that they will be put down.

I will go second with my third best idea after I hear an idea.

So far I hear its coaches fault. Even here I hear no ideas about putting up pics to jumbotron of coach laughing after Orange bowl ie doing actually marketing to dispel a negative.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
My evidence is the conversations I occasionally have had with casual fans. And I'd bet my acquaintances are not the only ones that feel that way. Casual fans were the targets of the thread to which I replied. The gist of the thread was how would could better market GT to the casual fan and I believe that from comments I've heard from this target audience they are the same we've heard for years. This audience isn't the one that has the vested interest in the school that we all have, that makes time to go to ramblinwreck.com and search for PJ's last presser, that pulls their hair out year after waiting for consistency in won-lost records. They are the ones that make a casual, fleeting observation of each flash of GT press they see whether its on their local TV station or local news website. Sometimes the visuals that we see are what everyone else sees.
But the "casual fans" I know don't think that, so who is right?