Marketing Brainstorm

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Alright I'll be making a "Why cheer for GT" video for the start of next season and I need some help coming up with some things to include.

It seems we all think GT needs to market itself to non fans better so lets expand this to ideas for a new marketing strategy.

I'm thinking of a slogan myself but other things you think should be included in a new marketing strategy let em rip.

My idea so far is "The Georgia Institute of Technology. Founded in tradition. Focusing on the frontier."

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Go away!!! We know you have good intentions, but we are GT...marketing IS NOT what we do. This is an affront to our heritage and an abomination. Do you know how good we were back in the 50's and how hard it was to get a ticket into Grant Field?? Us older grads are insulted by your preposterous proposal.We must keep a stiff upper lip chap and carry on. Do we really want the riff raff and the hoi polloi sitting next to the 300 or 400 of us in Grant Field? I think not.

kittysniper101

Jolly Good Fellow
So ignore the troll, I love the idea. I would avoid the 40 year plan things. I think we have the logical appeal to people who care about logic, we need to become attractive to sports fans and Atlanta residents at large.

I would focus on building it as Atlantas CFB team, make it an impulse thing that's fun for family and cheap.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think we have the logical appeal to people who care about logic, we need to become attractive to sports fans and Atlanta residents at large.
yes we have the logical appeal to those who think logically...which, in my experience is about 1% or less of the population.

To become attractive to the other 99%, you have to win. Sure, the "get a free hot dog with a ticket" and "BOGO" ticket sales and "High school band night" and such will bring in a few dozen extra, but what do you propose to do to become attractive to the Atlanta sports market that has't been done or tried? We all agree that fresh ideas are needed because the "same ol' same ol'" hasn't worked.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Hey maybe we could have a unique offense that gives us an identity instead of doing what everybody else does and maybe we can have one hand tied behind our backs recruiting-wise so that we can be the Cinderella underdog darlings everybody roots for and maybe we can do it all with classy, high character, intelligent, hard working kids and do things the right way to have that squeaky-clean-good-guy-wears-the-white-hat image?

RLR

Jolly Good Fellow
"People laugh when I say this, but the solution to any problem is to find somebody who knows the answer. " (Bud Peterson, President of Georgia Tech)

Steve Koonin wrote the manifesto to sports marketing in Atlanta. We could take his lead. Or we could continue to run a free coke with purchase of a sandwich at the varsity ticket promotion.

Koonin Spring 2014:
You grew up here. So you’ve seen the passion for the University of Georgia.
Why? It is your school, it is your ownership. This team has to be adopted by your generation. Not mine. Too old. Your generation. And has to be your team.

You have this wave of people that come into Atlanta. We call it a graveyard for regional management. People from all over the country. And they’re ready for their next promotion, and they say to the boss, “Hey, I kinda like it here. I’m pretty happy here. The housing’s affordable, the schools are good, the weather’s pretty damn great.” Those are the guys coming to games wearing the Bulls jerseys and the Celtics jerseys.

Because of this, we’ve got to get their kids. Because these are the ones born in Atlanta. This is their city. And we have to activate that passion. But it hasn’t been.

This sports team has to become part of your life, and if it’s not a part of your life, it’s a field trip. In the ’80s, when I was in my young thirties in Atlanta, this game was the place to be on a Saturday night. It was as hot as any club in the city. And we had Dominique and we had Spud and we had Doc — we had personalities. So it created passion. But now it’s ubiquitous because it’s on television. And it’s expensive. So we have to create a reason for being, one that’s engaging their hearts and engaging their minds and engaging their wallets. And how to do that, I can’t tell you with precision today, but we need to either get more people coming, or get the people coming to come more often. Those are the only two ways you’re going to grow. It’s harder to get people who’ve never been to a game to come, than it is people who’ve come to one to come to two, people who’ve come to three to come to five. And that’s what we’re gonna try to do.

. . .

We have to take advantage of the fact that this is a town that will experiment. And we’re going to try a lot of things. Atlanta will experiment, but you have to give people a reason. First of all, this ownership group has done some pretty amazing things. They brought in Danny Ferry, a top-notch general manager, they brought in a very strong coach, and the attendance has gone up every year since they’ve been here. So they’ve built a pretty good foundation. What they’ve lacked here is the local accountability, and that’s where I’m going to come in. To be more accountable to the locals, and to be part of the community.

We have to make it iconic. And that’s one of the ideas I have. And I’m going to be disciplined and not share it with you, but you’ll love it if I can pull it off. You’ve got to differentiate yourself. There’s a lot of virtual consumption through video games, television — how do you know a game is being played in Atlanta? How do you differentiate? That’s something I’m keenly focused on. I’m not sure that’s something that really falls into a lot of people’s thought patterns, how you make the building iconic. But we have to. And that’s easy, that’s cosmetic. Look at the Oregon Ducks. Look at Boise State. Look how they used iconography and differentiation to build their brands.

. . .

If you’re in Texas but not from Texas, you’re not ****. That’s a homegrown thing. In New York, it’s much more global in nature, people from all over the U.S. and world, but those teams are so iconic, they kind of suck you in. And then there’s the Braves, who win 14 divisions in a row — they were America’s team. Part of my past at TBS, but I don’t know if it was a reason for growth in the city or a reason for attachment to the city. So it’s very complex, this town. Very. What’s true is that this was a suburban urban town. And it’s becoming a more urban town. And that’s a good thing. And a good thing for us. Because there’s a vibe in the city now. And whether the Hawks can lead it or ride it, I’m OK either way. They just have to be part of it.

I have no fear to fail. Because when you’re worried about your job, you play safe. And when you play safe, you don’t win. What I mean is that I’m going to try everything. I’ve tried to advertise on the moon. There is nothing that we should not try that isn’t legal or immoral. What I really want is a great experience for people. Because the people that come tonight are the people most likely to come again. It’s hard, but you have to earn one fan at a time.

An Article about the Hawks turnaround 1 year later:
It’s as if the Hawks finally realized they’re based in Atlanta. The Tinder angle is even deeper than that — bigger than just getting people in the building. You have to go to the source of the idea to learn what this is really all about.

RLR

Jolly Good Fellow
P.S. GT has been really good about trending towards Koonins approach since the new AD took over. CPJ got on twitter. We have concerts at bobby dodd. we post dope pics of the city skyline from the field. They play Derrick Moore at Wizards playoff games, in D.C., vs. the Hawks.

Gotta accelerate the sports marketing brand in that direction. Then when you get the national stage, hit them with the "whoa nelly this guy has a 3.9 gpa in aeronautical engineering" or "these kids are doing calculus out there" jokes. Also, for the millionth time, ditch russle. Russel is the equivalent of wearing a fanny pack to my generation. Disagree all you'd like. But you won't move the needle of public perception.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
P.S. GT has been really good about trending towards Koonins approach since the new AD took over. CPJ got on twitter. We have concerts at bobby dodd. we post dope pics of the city skyline from the field. They play Derrick Moore at Wizards playoff games, in D.C., vs. the Hawks.

Gotta accelerate the sports marketing brand in that direction. Then when you get the national stage, hit them with the "whoa nelly this guy has a 3.9 gpa in aeronautical engineering" or "these kids are doing calculus out there" jokes. Also, for the millionth time, ditch russle. Russel is the equivalent of wearing a fanny pack to my generation. Disagree all you'd like. But you won't move the needle of public perception.
You may be right about Russell, but in the larger view, the proverbial "fanny pack" is a part of the program's image based on the image of the school itself. It'd be extremely difficult, if not impossible, to try to remove it. It may be more productive to make the "fanny pack" cool or at least acceptable.

SolicitorJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
The problem with Koonin's approach is that the Hawks do not have to contend with their main "zero sum" rival occupying the same geographic and media market.

Tech's biggest (at least in spirit) rival already dominates the marketplace. It is harder to build a fanbase without an alabama type run of dominance when you are surrounded by an existing fanbase who views it as their birthright to put you down and keep you down.

This is compounded by a sycophantic media that just wants to stroke the big program to keep the revenue flowing.

Hard to make any traction with the young unaffiliated fan when they are constantly told by their peers and by some extent the media that pulling for Tech is not cool.

RLR

Jolly Good Fellow
You may be right about Russell, but in the larger view, the proverbial "fanny pack" is a part of the program's image based on the image of the school itself. It'd be extremely difficult, if not impossible, to try to remove it. It may be more productive to make the "fanny pack" cool or at least acceptable.

I respectfully disagree, but then again, I'm a self-identifying nerd. I'm also more future oriented with GT's image. I think we can play a more central role within Atlanta without losing our institutional prestige. In fact, I think it will strengthen it.

Basically, I view Tech as the nexus between federal government, local government, private industry, midtown neighborhood, local community, researchers, and students. These connections give us the problem & resource constraints. We optimize the solution. Kind of like Google's relationship with content providers. Ya'll do your thing - we'll build you the infrastructure. A prime example is the Atlanta Beltline. I think there's also a strong case that Google Fiber is coming to Atlanta b/c of GT. Everyone I know in Atlanta loves the Beltline & has a Fiber t-shirt. So, Tech seems to be building an unimpeachable role within Atlanta - all we do provide people in this city with better tools to do what they do. You don't blame Google for the Internet's poor content. And it's hard to recreate a Google (see Bing).

My vision for GT's future, based largely on conjecture, is GT's research partnerships and HPC in Tech Square being an engine for cutting edge, bubble-forming industries. The biggest prize is healthcare. Regardless of your politics, there's an undeniable low hanging fruit in healthcare costs - improving IT record & payment efficiencies. I think GT is one of a handful of schools / cities that are the front runner in the race to capture the epicenter of this future industry. Actually, I think we're in the lead. I attended an Emory Presidential search faculty town hall the other week. Georgia Tech was mentioned maybe 5 or 6 times in 45 minutes. Always positive. I was pleasantly surprised. Basically, top researchers were saying Emory has all this research funding & world-class talent but we have no process or infrastructure to efficiently manage it. We're wasting so much time and money. Why aren't we doing more to fix this? We're in Atlanta. GT is right down the road.

So let's assume that this plays out and GT-Emory become the global center of the healthcare industry. I think we'll see increased marketization of research. GT will spit out start-up companies. A middle market will grow of b2b suppliers. Capital will pour in & require a presence to scout / monitor investments. And I think all of this development will want to be close to GT b/c of the physical infrastructure & human capital that can't be replicated in the suburbs (HPC, CDC, airport, college students). Also, GT has basically or will basically capture the entire Westside. Is there a better development opportunity in all of the United States than Westside Atlanta? You can basically erase the entire thing & build the infrastructure from scratch (multi-modal transportation, Fiber pipelines, green space). You'll have the Beltline setting the border to the far west. You'll have the incoming healthcare industry occupying office space & new residence developments that will be built in westside. You'll have a neighborhood of higher income & younger / more hip residence, so you'll see more venues, better restaurants, etc. And you don't have to kick out the poor. We could build up neighborhoods like Mechanicsville. We can use Emory's School of Public Health, GT's efficiency, and investment in Atlanta's infrastructure to improve the condition of people's lives. Give people the bootstrap to pull themselves up.

Once the westside is built, hopefully infrastructure funding in the U.S. improves & Atlanta moves forward with Marta expansion or the street cars. You could have a street car going up / down 10th street from west side to piedmont park. Piedmont Park to Bobby Dodd to new Westside parks. You'll also have better connectivity to the new Falcons stadium, CFHOF, and the other downtown attractions.

My dream is a dream & you're welcome to criticize it. But just assume for this argument that it can be achieved & ask yourself, how could we change GT's image to capture this? It doesn't matter where people went to undergrad. See UGA's fanbase. It just needs to be a part of the community. GT will be a world leading academic institution & closer to Stanford in it's connection to a start-up industry that offers potential of vast new wealth. It's in the center of a major city that will be closer in reputation to Austin / SF / Seattle. We can capture the young kids - middle schoolers and high schoolers - as GT fans. I think kids like cities more than they do Athens. Kids are probably more susceptible to a college major that could make you a billion than a liberal arts degree. Kids are increasingly connected to technology & social media. Regarding the latter, Athens bars lose their appeal to Atlanta when communication changes from stories about the weekend to pictures on instagrams. Piedmont Park sunset or a college bar - which gets more likes on Instgram? If we can capture the youth of Atlanta, we can capture the best recruits in the nation. For example, our 2008 recruiting class could have been Cam Newton, Eric Berry, and Brandon Boykin as QB-AB-AB. All played within 30 miles of Tech. I know we recruit against the best, but we're getting close. we're moving the needle. See Demetrius, Campbell. Carter, Tuitt, Thomlinson (SP?), etc.

The problem with the russell image is that it's equivalent to tweeting a picture of a Howey Physics lecture hall when we could be tweeting pictures of our awesome skyline / tree line / beautiful city. Why would we do that? Why would any GT alumni want a suboptimal brand? GT is what it is because we focus on the future. History & tradition gives a respect and connection for one and other. They are important & I'm not advocating at all for them to be diluted. But it would be selfish for us to stop its progression. We must be willing to be replaced, to be improved upon. That's what technology is all about.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
^^^You and I share the same dream.

Some thoughts about trends and possible Tech positioning:

GT is not going to be something people do purely for entertainment value. All the professional teams plus fantasy whatever, twitter, espn, etc. mean that being undifferentiated in an increasingly crowded market for attention is a losing proposition.

Seattle, among other things they get right, recognizes that the natural differentiator for sports teams is group identity. It's why Europe can support such a density of professional football teams- the majority of fans for most teams pick them based on who they are and where they're from.

1. The overwhelming demographic trend of the future is a shift towards urban locations and high densities. People moving into cities see suburbia as inconvenient, culturally bereft, and economically restrictive.
Tech needs to position itself as the team of Atlanta, linked to the identity of the urban dweller and the goals and accomplishments of the city. This is a natural affinity for tech, who is positioned geographically near the center of the city, and provides an attraction for the majority of new jobs and economic development in the city. Not every person in the Ponce City Market has a GT degree, but they likely work with someone who does. We can make going to GT games part of that social and economic identity.

2. Atlanta continues to be a place that attracts families. We can cast ourselves as a wholesome activity to do with your kids that exposes them to positive group identity and provides role models parents can be entirely comfortable with their kids emulating.

3. We can do much better with the contrarian identities throughout the state and the southeast. We should be casting GT games as something people who want their small town to grow and become better do on the weekends.

4. Tech's image of and cultural diversity w.r.t. the city around it has historically been built on close partnerships with Moorehouse, Spellman, the AUC, and to a lesser extent GSU. State has its own football team, and the long term decline of the HBCU has left GT feeling pretty remote from the people living around it. GT needs to be positioned as a part of making, for example, Vine city a better place to live. There's lots of easy things to do immediately like bring in students from surrounding charter schools that already have engagement with GT. We want GT games to be a place where people who are headed to professional wealth and going to improve their community hang out.

5. Participation is critical for creating a positive identity association with GT. Dances, cheers, songs are ways humans feel part of a group. We have some strengths in that department to start with. But we need to get the crowd on its feet and doing something. And then we need to plaster twitter and instagram (and maybe the jumbotron) with 6 seconds of people doing a video selfie with 100 people in the background, all singing the ramblin wreck or whatever. But everyone needs to participate- being off by yourself, not engaged with the rest of the crowd, passively watching is a recipe for deciding to stay home next game.

6. We have to position our 'celebrities' as welcoming to these groups and we need to have high profile invitations to be a part of the GT family. We need to use the media spotlight we can generate to emphasize the character and bright future of our athletes for the parents out there. We want Megatron telling Atlanta about how GT is important to him even after an NFL career. We want CPJ endorsing the link between Tech's identity and Atlanta's, maybe through press events focusing on alumni who are part of something cool and new in the city. We want the athletic department to tweet and post all about groups of fans, and how they feel part of GT.

Just some partially formed thoughts.

And one on Russell: I think firing russell misses the point about where we're failing. We can't grow our brand by allowing Russell or Nike or UnderArmor or anyone else to decide what our image is. GT needs to control GT's image. The image and brand needs to come from GT, and the clothing manufacturer's scope needs to be limited to converting that image into cloth. And if we're short on resources for that, let me suggest that there are a bunch of industrial design students in need of internships.

Last edited:

RLR

Jolly Good Fellow
^^^You and I share the same dream.

This is why I believe in the dream. I learned it from the alumni who came before me (RIP Skip Bebe), gulp down the kool-aid, try my best to share the dream with others, and a lot of times it clicks - the other person takes what I'm trying to say & says it better. There's a lot of brilliant GT alumni & GT supporters out there. Frame the problem correctly, and I have no doubt we'll solve it better than anyone.

RLR

Jolly Good Fellow
The harder you have to work to make something cool, the less cool it is.

We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too.

Enjoy Earth, my Napoleon-minded friend.

2i0xhtl.jpg

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I sincerely respect the effort being put into these responses but none of it...none...zilch...nada...is going to work if we don't start winning at a more consistent rate. Building momentum one year and losing it the next is not the way to go about this.

And it would help to see the head man have some sincere joy on his face sometime. Even the man in Tuscaloosa who everyone seems to hate appears to be sincerely enjoying himself sometimes.

Last edited:

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
I sincerely respect the effort being put into these responses but none of it...none...zilch...nada...is going to work if we don't start winning at a more consistent rate. Building momentum one year and losing it the next is not the way to go about this.

And it would help to see the head man have some sincere joy on his face sometime. Even the man in Tuscaloosa who everyone seems to hate appears to be sincerely enjoying himself sometimes.

You must not be watching if you don't think CPJ ever has 'joy on his face'. He is happy when we win. Do you want him to be all smiles losing?