Marcus Marshall

Milwaukee

Banned
Do you guys really think he's going to finish his career there? I was under the impression he was gonna go there to keep playing and stay in shape, and then go back to a major conference his Sr year. Or am I missing something?

GTFLETCH

Banned
The great thing about Coach Johnson and his Flexbone offense, they still spell "team" without an "I"

Some players and their family members think "I" is greater than team... Or some players mature at slower speeds than others!!

Either way I am not so sure Marcus will get another FBS offer. Just look at Vad Lee, he stayed at JMU after transferring..

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
Do you guys really think he's going to finish his career there? I was under the impression he was gonna go there to keep playing and stay in shape, and then go back to a major conference his Sr year. Or am I missing something?
He will have to sit out a year if you go up a division unless he graduates. If he isn't going to graduate this year and then he goes up he's wasted a year playing down a level because he will have to sit out next year.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

If he was going to transfer to another FBS school, he would have done it last year. ANY transfer to an FBS school requires sitting out one year unless you get exceptions. You can't get an exception just because you want to transfer.

However, they are supposedly looking into changing the transfer rules to take away the 1 year loss of eligibility.

biojacket06

Georgia Tech Fan
He will have to sit out a year if you go up a division unless he graduates. If he isn't going to graduate this year and then he goes up he's wasted a year playing down a level because he will have to sit out next year.

He won't have to sit out a year.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

As forensicbuzz said, unless he graduates, he will have to sit out a year. If he doesn't graduate, he still has a redshirt year, so he could sit out and play in two years. However, if he was planning to sit out a year, why go the FCS at all? The NCAA wording is shown below. If you tansfer to a D1 baseball, basketball, ice hockey, or FBS football you do not qualify for the one-time transfer exception. Marshal has already transferred and used this one-time exception, so he wouldn't be eligible for it even if he transferred to another FCS school.

One-time transfer exception: If you transfer from a four-year school, you may be immediately eligible to compete at your new school if you meet ALL the following conditions:

• You are transferring to a Division II or III school, or you are transferring to a Division I school in any sport other than baseball, men's or women's basketball, football (Football Bowl Subdivision) or men’s ice hockey. If you are transferring to a Division I school for any of the previously-listed sports, you may be eligible to compete immediately if you were not recruited by your original school and you have never received an athletics scholarship.
  • You are academically and athletically eligible at your previous four-year school.
  • You receive a transfer-release agreement from your previous four-year school.
Waiver: An action that sets aside an NCAA rule because a specific, extraordinary circumstance prevents you from meeting the rule. An NCAA school may file a waiver on your behalf; you cannot file a waiver for yourself. The school does not administer the waiver, the conference office or NCAA does.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer

Sounds like he may be graduating early. He's got 3 years of college courses already, and I know he was a really smart kid, so it's not a crazy thought. I hope he ends up going somewhere that we don't play and doing big things. We're doing pretty well at BB without him here anyway.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
In his last three games as a Yellow Jacket he had 44 carries. That was more than any other Tech player. It was not even close. Mills had a ton of carries in the Gator Bowl, but Marshal had already departed by then. I think he wanted a different environment, so he left. No hard feelings and I wish him well.
He thought he should play more, and start. When it was obvious that wouldn't happen, he went to where he would not sit on the bench. Most of us would do exactly that if the game itself was anything to us. One has to be on the field to compete.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
He may have looked at what happened to his brother at UGA. Gurley and Chubb played ahead of him and he may have felt that he should have transferred but didn't. He was number 1 ranked RB in high school.
MM may not have liked the academic demands since he wasn't starting. GT may not have met his long term career goals and his father was very involved with his choices.