Marcus Allen B-Back next year?

GTJason

Helluva Engineer

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I didn't know Allen was going the engineering route! Here is his bio page:

http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/marcus_allen_802559.html

There is a lot of great info here. Honor roll 6th-12th grade while starring in two sports. MLK Emerging Leader Award. Deans list at Tech Fall of 2012 while he redshirted and ran scout team as a true freshman. Clearly the best time to make Dean's List if you end up deciding to major in chemical and biomolecular engineering, however, still a very impressive academic start right out of the gate at Tech.

I think I have read before that Tech graduates more black engineers than any other college in the country and we all know that graduating Tech is no mean feat for anyone no matter what demographics you fit into. Truly impressive young man.

Says he is cousin to Champ and Boss Bailey but did not start playing football in HS until Junior year. That last point explains his place on the depth chart to a large extent I imagine.

Overall though I am now seriously impressed with Allen. I for one do not really care if he sees the field much as long as he is giving it his all on the practice field and helps his teammates get better each day by pushing them as best he can. I think he clearly understood what every recruit should understand . . . that you need to use football and not let it use you.

TheGridironGeek

Jolly Good Fellow
A story like this reminds me why I laugh when I hear "NFL (insert position) X is not a good player." Go to your local HS and watch an athletically superior kid light up the turf, nobody would point to him and say "he sucks." But the same player often struggles to make a D1 roster because the new level of size, speed and brains is such a giant leap.

My personal Twilight Zone fantasy is a fat sportswriter saying "Josh Freeman sucks" in a bar, then having to play one-on-one vs. Josh Freeman in the parking lot while the customers watch. Followed by a Rod Serling monologue about what the word "suck" should mean.

Society doesn't shame people in other professions for being great but not top-level great, like we don't laugh at distinguished inventors for not being Thomas Edison. Nice to see so many GT fans setting the Coliseum culture aside to hail a student-athlete who might never see the field.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
A story like this reminds me why I laugh when I hear "NFL (insert position) X is not a good player." Go to your local HS and watch an athletically superior kid light up the turf, nobody would point to him and say "he sucks." But the same player often struggles to make a D1 roster because the new level of size, speed and brains is such a giant leap.

My personal Twilight Zone fantasy is a fat sportswriter saying "Josh Freeman sucks" in a bar, then having to play one-on-one vs. Josh Freeman in the parking lot while the customers watch. Followed by a Rod Serling monologue about what the word "suck" should mean.

Society doesn't shame people in other professions for being great but not top-level great, like we don't laugh at distinguished inventors for not being Thomas Edison. Nice to see so many GT fans setting the Coliseum culture aside to hail a student-athlete who might never see the field.

fwiw, GT engineers I worked with did shake our heads and shame vpi (et al.) engineers for not being top-level great, but I get your point.

gtalltheway

Jolly Good Fellow
Anybody hear about Travis custis if he got his academics right I know he said he eanted to still transfer from jr college back to ga tech
Travis can not come back to gt because at Hutchinson they do not have the classes available for him to take to get back to tech I know I'm replying late but he has some scholarship offers now from other school he said he wishes he could come back but he can't Florida state just recently offered him