Marco Coleman to Sparty?

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
I would have been OK with and agreed ( if you had not added the last sentence )
First I am trying really hard to be positive going into this season. Looking for positives where I can. Secondly who is to say CGC wont find equal or better replacements since he brought in the earlier ones.
I am taking the position that their replacements will be good ones.

Where he originally failed was the higher level selections for the OC and DC positions. Now we have what looks to be a good one for the OC spot and I am going to assume CGC himself will be able to improve the defense if he dedicates a significant amount of time to coaching it.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I’m disappointed we are losing Coach Coleman. I think he had very little to work with when he got here and was making progress with the younger guys.

Is it common to have one coach for the DEs and OLBs, one for the IILBs, and a third for the inside DL? I mean in college football? I honestly don’t know but I’m wondering what we are going to look for to replace him. We replaced 2 coaches with Tillman so I’m wondering if anyone thinks we might consolidate some more.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I think we'll be fine on the field with coaching. Where we'll miss Coleman is in recruiting. He seemed to have a really good knack for bonding with recruits and their families. Coleman was one of our better recruiters.

We'll see how it goes. GT isn't a place that recruits itself, and we have to play "money ball" in terms of find kids and developing them. If the next position coach can't recruit as well as Coleman, hopefully he's outstanding at polishing off the diamond in the rough.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
First off, good for him to get that opportunity. Hope he excels.

Secondly, while I think highly of him, especially his recruiting ability, I find it hard to really fret too much about the loss of any of our defensive coaches with what has happened on that side of the ball the past couple of years. Not saying it was all, or even mostly, on him, but I don't think there has really been a position group that has shown out on that side of the ball really.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
If CMC leaves for a bigger role/more money than good on him.

We either are going to step up and fund this program to win, or we will keep losing.

The good news in all of this is next year is make or break for the head ball coach. Either way I think our money guys have had enough and are going to start bringing in the dollars to compete.
I hope you are 100% correct about this in bold. :)

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
I really like what MSU is doing with their program. I don't blame him for moving to a winning culture. Best of luck to him. Maybe he gets the experience he needs while GT figures out what it wants to do during this new era of football.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
When Tstan announces he is leaving GT is when we know it really is over for Tech football!!

Maybe. He hired the guy who has us in this situation. So not sure if he has helped or hurt the football program. Some of the recent communications, in addition to the hire, could certainly be put in the hurt category.

SowegaSting

Jolly Good Fellow
Do we know if the offer included a significant raise in pay? From what I understand, TC going to Texas wasn’t about not being able to match the offer. He left for other reasons that have been well outlined by posters.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
If CMC leaves for a bigger role/more money than good on him.

We either are going to step up and fund this program to win, or we will keep losing.

The good news in all of this is next year is make or break for the head ball coach. Either way I think our money guys have had enough and are going to start bringing in the dollars to compete.
If you were a “big boy donor” would you give TStan the big bucks without knowing who he was going to hire? I mean, Collins was (and is) TStan’s choice and look where we are…

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Our coaches being poached are moving up that means we should get good replacements because they know it is a place they can gain opportunity. I remember Frank Broyles having good assistants because he made it so they would have opportunity to move to better opportunities. He said Coach Dodd used to keep people away from his assistants and he never forgot how it was hard for him to get looks at better opportunities, so he made it a point to open it up for his assts.
I marvel at how Saban is constantly having to replace assts and yet he seems to keep continuity and moves forward.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
If you were a “big boy donor” would you give TStan the big bucks without knowing who he was going to hire? I mean, Collins was (and is) TStan’s choice and look where we are…
That isn't what I would do, nor how it is done. If I had the Money to give enough to be a part of these conversations I would be meeting with ADTS to say, "Some of our friends and I are willing to give you a war chest, tell us who you want and how much" Then I would talk it through with the others putting money up.

It isn't (almost) ever a blank check.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Collins was the 'big money' donors choice. They were the ones that wanted to move away from the 3O and were the ones providing the money to make the hire we made.

The big boosters may oust TStan eventually, but if they do it is largely to cover for their own complicity with the hire of the current staff.

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
Our coaches being poached are moving up that means we should get good replacements because they know it is a place they can gain opportunity. I remember Frank Broyles having good assistants because he made it so they would have opportunity to move to better opportunities. He said Coach Dodd used to keep people away from his assistants and he never forgot how it was hard for him to get looks at better opportunities, so he made it a point to open it up for his assts.
I marvel at how Saban is constantly having to replace assts and yet he seems to keep continuity and moves forward.
Saban can stock up on ex head NFL and College coaches and hire them as analysts. kirby now has muschamp and bobo as analysts. Who are Tech’s analysts? Our coaches have too much on their plates and the fans just bash away at these guys who work 80 hours a week. The big teams have so much support staff to help with game planning , scouting, recruiting, etc.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Collins was the 'big money' donors choice. They were the ones that wanted to move away from the 3O and were the ones providing the money to make the hire we made.

The big boosters may oust TStan eventually, but if they do it is largely to cover for their own complicity with the hire of the current staff.
Do you know the names of the others who the big money donors chose collins over?