March Madnesss memories

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
A thread that might end up being totallly fun.

My favorite March Madnesss memory was in the New Orleans Superdome to see Michael Jordan hit a 15-foot jumper to beat Georgetown. All along Bourbon St Caroliina fans chanting, "What the hell's a Hoya?"

My only other memory is seeing us lose to UNLV in Denver. That game turned out to be five guys beating three. Our haltime lead evaporated. Those guys were really good.

GTbball2016

Helluva Engineer
Only Final Four ever been to was the Webber timeout one. I saw him try to call a timeout about a minute before he actually did and told my brother it would be amazing if it happened. Funniest part of watching the replay is Montross calling for a travel waiting to check in.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
@orientalnc I was in Denver in '90 also. That Vegas team was great. They beat us in a great game and then just steamrolled Duke in the finals.

I've been fortunate to go to a ton of NCAA games over the years (thanks NCAA for putting the first round games close enough to drive!). Hard to pick one moment, but I always love the last second heroics like US Reed's half court shot or Danny Ainge's BYU miracle. Or Bryce Drew's buzzer beater. Every year there are a few and Notre Dame got us off on the right foot last night!

Today and tomorrow should be national holidays.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
My NCAAT in-person memories unfortunately ended in L's for the games where I had a personal rooting interest. So that sucks. What sticks out to me in hindsight was seeing bigtime players from those games go on to huge success in the NBA.

Blake Griffin knocked out 'Cuse in the Sweet 16 in Memphis, and I remember wondering why he was holding his head after dunking, even though it was a clear non-foul. When I watched the replay, it turned out he jumped so high on his dunk that he hit his head halfway up the side of the backboard. Absolutely insane athlete.

Caris LeVert was a bench role player on Michigan's final four team in 2013 in Atlanta. The story was all about Trey Burke that tournament (and eventually Louisville's 'ship). Safe to say LeVert is doing big things in the NBA today.

This is my favorite weekend of the year. I typically take the tournament days off from work, though this year is an exception. I'll just have to "multi-task".

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Best memory I have, I was a freshman when we made our final four run 2004. My dad surprised me with tickets and so we went to the final four and championship game in San Antonio. The trip was a blast and watching that team was so much fun. The last really exciting year for PH unfortunately, but man was I forever committed to my fandom from that trip.

tbglover

Ramblin' Wreck
Favorite memory in person was being at the Georgia Dome where both Shelden Williams and JJ Reddick played their final games at Duke losing to LSU in the Sweet 16.

GTbball2016

Helluva Engineer
Will Bynums layup was incredible as I was the only person at a party in Southwest Harbor ME that gave a damn about OKSt and GT.

Gordon Haywards heave might be the most heart breaking as it resulted in a Puke victory
My wife was watching the game in a restaurant and yelled when Bynum scored. People looked at her like she was crazy. She knows nothing about sports but knew I would be happy.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
My favorite memories include watching the selection show every year and wondering where we would be seeded and in what regional. Afterwards, analyzing the field, our bracket and projecting how far we would advance. I don't know why but I liked that whole process as much as I did the tourney itself. It's like walking to the first tee on Saturday morning or driving to a fishing spot - there is nothing but hope and optimism before the round begins or the first cast has been made.

The tourney (to me) doesn't seem as compelling without a dog in the hunt.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
My favorite memories include watching the selection show every year and wondering where we would be seeded and in what regional. Afterwards, analyzing the field, our bracket and projecting how far we would advance. I don't know why but I liked that whole process as much as I did the tourney itself. It's like walking to the first tee on Saturday morning or driving to a fishing spot - there is nothing but hope and optimism before the round begins or the first cast has been made.

The tourney (to me) doesn't seem as compelling without a dog in the hunt.
When we aren't in, I pick teams to pull for. St Peter's this year, and UNC at least temporarily. If Duke and Putin make it to championship game, I may pull for Duke.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I root for ACC teams to win alot more than I used to as I realize the financial advantage to GT of those teams winning.

Still almost impossible to root for Duke. After that Baylor game rooting for UNC is easier this year.

I also will almost always root for an underdog like St. Peter's unless they are playing GT.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I want ACC to do well and in the tournament for the extra payout but also to send a message about the strength of the conference for recruiting the best athletes. BTW Scheyer just picked up his 3rd 5* commitment for Duke which says top players still coming to the ACC. I don't want the SEC to be considered the best in FB and BB.