Major Rule Changes after FBI Stuff

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Still reading over these:
https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...caa-makes-major-changes-in-wake-of-fbi-probe/

But here are some bullet points from the link which I thought were important:
All players who declare for the NBA Draft but go undrafted will have the option to return to their former school.

Elite prospects will now be allowed to have official relationships with agents. This applies to high schoolers and college athletes alike. USA Basketball will be tasked with identifying which prospects in a given class are "elite."

Effective immediately, the NCAA and its Committee on Infractions can use information obtained in other probes as a means to an end for its own investigations. This will be implemented immediately by the NCAA with the schools currently caught up in the Department of Justice's case regarding multiple schools and alleged violation of multiple federal laws.
Why in the heyul would they previously not be able to use (under oath) testimony anyway? #DumbNCAA
The recruiting calendar, as detailed here, is getting a major overhaul. In a first, college coaches will be allowed to attend the NBA Players Association Top 100 camp each June. Also, the first live period of July will be attendable for non-scholastic events.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Some good stuff but as always, let's just see if it's actually implemented successfully.

I do like dual independent investigative units. Especially the 2nd group having no affiliation with any school or the NCAA. Decent checks and balance system.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure if they address this or not but what happens if a college player doesn't get drafted, wants to return to his old school, but his scholly has been used for someone else and there's not a scholly left?

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Something interesting to me was Presidents and Chancellors being held personally responsible for failure to comply with rules. That sounds pretty ballsy, and I think someone will have to be caught for it to be effective, but if they do succeed in punishing school officials, I think that will be a game changer.

Deleted member 2897

I'm not sure if they address this or not but what happens if a college player doesn't get drafted, wants to return to his old school, but his scholly has been used for someone else and there's not a scholly left?

Go $EC

Deleted member 2897

Elite prospects will now be allowed to have official relationships with agents. This applies to high schoolers and college athletes alike. USA Basketball will be tasked with identifying which prospects in a given class are "elite."

I can just see it now. USA Basketball will go by a ratings services top 30. So the #31 through maybe #50 will then sue. What is so materially different between #30 and #31 such that they get a relationships with agents and so on but others don't? That smells of an equal protection violation to me.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Couple of thoughts. For the draft thing is this still assuming they don't hire an agent? So like before they had to declare they were coming back before the draft. Now they can just not hire an agent and come back if not drafted? Or even if they hire an agent they can come back if not drafted? Either way this rule will really put a strain on coaches with guys who are borderline. I imagine you'll see more guys staying in but not being for sure gone, which leads to more murkiness in the recruiting situation.

Elite prospects having relationships with agents I assume still means no money trading hands and retaining amateur status, at least in theory. This sounds like the ground work for making the transition away from the one and done rule for the nba. Letting guys who might be straight to the NBA type of guys get some insight, professional, without having to commit. I like the idea, but I have worries about the implementation.

Third point sounds like just technical stuff to push things through easier. Like "oh the fbi found this, we can officially use exactly what they found instead of having to jump through procedural hoops to show that we "found" it ourselves. I doubt it'd have much practical impact, although maybe I'm misreading the situation.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Dont overlook the role the combine plays in the return to school. You have to be invited to the combine in order to return, that seems like a key piece.

are players re-evaluated as being elite on a yearly basis? Semester basis?

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
This ...... doesn't seem very well thought out.