Major Branding Announcement: New Tech Gold

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
screen-shot-2015-06-26-at-2-48-39-pm.png

Just a reminder of an Adidas alternate.

You conservative folks should start preparing now for a crazy alternate one week.

Tennessee just dumped their "crazy alternate" of the Smokey Grey uniforms. New coach Jeremy Pruitt's view was that the team was there to play winning football and promote the school, not parade around as entertainment. He canned the orange and white shoes too, going back to traditional black. (Note: The uniform got a makeover under Nike and frankly, the Orange and White has never looked so good.) Merchandise sales are organized as Orange, White and Grey can be used in limited quantities as a neutral background, but never as a primary color for the school.

Does Alabama have a crazy alternate? No. Does Auburn? No. Schools that need "crazy alternatives" are ones that struggle with tradition and can't fill the seats with anyone. Notre Dame tried a "crazy alternative" and when I turned the game on, I thought I was watching Grambling. It was the most wretched Green/Gold combination I've ever seen ... the looked like characters from a Batman movie.

No to the crazy alternative. Yes to a classic, yet updated look. And ... a winning team that 130+ years of tradition can be proud of.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Tennessee just dumped their "crazy alternate" of the Smokey Grey uniforms. New coach Jeremy Pruitt's view was that the team was there to play winning football and promote the school, not parade around as entertainment. He canned the orange and white shoes too, going back to traditional black. (Note: The uniform got a makeover under Nike and frankly, the Orange and White has never looked so good.) Merchandise sales are organized as Orange, White and Grey can be used in limited quantities as a neutral background, but never as a primary color for the school.

Does Alabama have a crazy alternate? No. Does Auburn? No. Schools that need "crazy alternatives" are ones that struggle with tradition and can't fill the seats with anyone. Notre Dame tried a "crazy alternative" and when I turned the game on, I thought I was watching Grambling. It was the most wretched Green/Gold combination I've ever seen ... the looked like characters from a Batman movie.

No to the crazy alternative. Yes to a classic, yet updated look. And ... a winning team that 130+ years of tradition can be proud of.
Even UGA had a crazy alternate in 2012. Best prepare your jimmies now because they for sure are gonna be rustled.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Even UGA had a crazy alternate in 2012. Best prepare your jimmies now because they for sure are gonna be rustled.

"Had" is the key word.

Here's a newsflash. The folks that drive the sports programs aren't the "kids". They're the alumni. The folks with the money. They're mostly in their 50's, built a long career in engineering or business, and are mostly conservative. I've been in the skyboxes with them and this has been a topic. The money will stop if Tech goes the Ringling Bros. route. Even Todd knows this.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
"Had" is the key word.

Here's a newsflash. The folks that drive the sports programs aren't the "kids". They're the alumni. The folks with the money. They're mostly in their 50's, built a long career in engineering or business, and are mostly conservative. I've been in the skyboxes with them and this has been a topic. The money will stop if Tech goes the Ringling Bros. route. Even Todd knows this.
I don’t understand your argument. You’re saying that Tech won’t have even one week of craz6 alternates? Because that’s what we’re saying. Just one off alternates not changing the week in week out uniforms to something crazy. UGA had one and that’s a point in my arguments favor not yours.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I don’t understand your argument. You’re saying that Tech won’t have even one week of craz6 alternates? Because that’s what we’re saying. Just one off alternates not changing the week in week out uniforms to something crazy. UGA had one and that’s a point in my arguments favor not yours.

It is my opinion that Tech will not have even one week of crazy alternatives. Just because a school with no class, like UGA, has one ... is no reason for Tech to do so. That's my argument.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
It is my opinion that Tech will not have even one week of crazy alternatives. Just because a school with no class, like UGA, has one ... is no reason for Tech to do so. That's my argument.
UGA has much more “uniform tradition” than Tech does even if you don’t want to admit it.

In the next two years when we have a one off alternate I expect you to come on here and make a post acknowledging I was right.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
UGA has much more “uniform tradition” than Tech does even if you don’t want to admit it.

In the next two years when we have a one off alternate I expect you to come on here and make a post acknowledging I was right.

Ha ha. I could care less what UGA does. They can wear monkey suits for all I care ... it is still my opinion that Tech won't go down that path. Maybe they will. I don't know. It's just my opinion.

And as far as tradition goes ... UGA won a national championship by cheating the system. Nice tradition. Maybe if Tech cheats they can deserve to wear monkey suits.

Actually the mutts do not have much more "uniform tradition" than Tech does. Tech has worn white and gold consistently since at least the early 40s, with a few single games with blue jerseys, and a few seasons of blue in the 80s when the NCAA stuck their nose into the uniform debate, and a couple of seasons with black jerseys (the "black watch" years). Georgia until the 80s almost always wore red jerseys with silver pants and were often called the "silver britches." Then they dropped that long-standing "traditional" look in favor of red jerseys and generally white pants. They had the one time "black out" with black jerseys and got beat so bad by Bama, they never used them again. I don't know what that "alternative" look the mutts had apparently recently, but the operative word there is "had," and they have not used it again. So Tech's white and gold tradition is much longer than the mutts' red and white or red and black tradition.

GTdragons

Jolly Good Fellow
Looking at other Adidas teams we will definitely have one crazy alternate that everyone on this board is going to have to get a paperbag to breathe into and remind themselves it's only for one game.

I think a cool alternate using the moving Wreck logo as inspiration.

I would love to see an alternate helmet with the moving Wreck logo. SWAG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
"Had" is the key word.

I'm also pretty sure that wins drive money more than the color on the uniform. If wearing Red and Black won us a national championship, I'm pretty sure we would have done that decades ago. I say this in hyperbole, but I think there's a bit of truth to it.

I've noticed that GT Athletics seems to have gone away from hitting up people for money other than capital improvements. Having your name on a building or room drives plus loyalty to the school drives that, not the uniform on the field.

Having said that, I doubt we'd ever hire a dwag to lead any of the major sports programs. See Drad's initial attempt to hire Muschamp.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Weird but serious question. Did anyone purchase the Adidas shirts from the bookstore yet? And if so how do they fit? I’m 6’3” 205. Not sure if I need a L or XL. Don’t really want to deal with returning something from out of state.

Weird but serious question. Did anyone purchase the Adidas shirts from the bookstore yet? And if so how do they fit? I’m 6’3” 205. Not sure if I need a L or XL. Don’t really want to deal with returning something from out of state.
Are you talking about t-shirts or polo shirts? I wanted to buy a t-shirt at the game Friday (didn't have time or desire to go to Bookstore), but an hour before the game started they only had small and medium (lots of those) and 2XL. No L or XL, and I needed XL. There were other prospective buyers there equally dismayed. Poor planning IMO. I didn't try on a polo, but they looked normal for the sizes indicated. My only gripe about the polos, was that the GT logo was only an outline; it needs to be filled in, preferably in white. That obviously doesn't answer your question, but based on what I saw, you might not find anyone who was able to buy a L or XL. Based on your physical stats, however, I would strongly recommend XL, since I am 5'9" 185 and for all other shirts I have purchased, L is too small.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Are you talking about t-shirts or polo shirts? I wanted to buy a t-shirt at the game Friday (didn't have time or desire to go to Bookstore), but an hour before the game started they only had small and medium (lots of those) and 2XL. No L or XL, and I needed XL. There were other prospective buyers there equally dismayed. Poor planning IMO. I didn't try on a polo, but they looked normal for the sizes indicated. My only gripe about the polos, was that the GT logo was only an outline; it needs to be filled in, preferably in white. That obviously doesn't answer your question, but based on what I saw, you might not find anyone who was able to buy a L or XL. Based on your physical stats, however, I would strongly recommend XL, since I am 5'9" 185 and for all other shirts I have purchased, L is too small.
T shirt and Polo. Sounds like XL is the way to go then.