Macon Telegraph: Stability at quarterback raises the bar at Georgia Tech

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
The only situation where I see JT's weight being an issue at all is in goal line and 3rd (or 4th) and short. In this offense, you really the need the QB follow to be a legit power, short yardage threat. It opens everything else up. It is nice to have everything, but rarely so. Most QBs who can run for power are not capable of running past everybody like JT is.
Boomer, I'm thinking more along the lines of "big guy gets a hold of him, and he gets caught up in a pile".

Jamelle Holieway played in the mid 80's when offensive linemen were 250 and defensive linemen were 240.

Now you sometimes add 100 lbs to each.

I'm not talking about him being more productive if he was a little bigger, I'm talking about getting hurt.

Anyhow, I hope he stays healthy, I just worry.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Agree. His ability to erase a defender's angle was lessened somewhat due to injury (the Duke game?). JeT's best run was probably one that didn't count...the one againt VT along the sideline. He did have another ridiculous run that left a VT defender grasping at air. If CPJ didn't put JeT in the "no touch" zone in the Spring game, he would have had a pretty nice TD where he blew by 4 defenders.

I think the best run was the one in the Orange Bowl where he jukes that guy out in the backfield...with the VT reversed play a close second

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I think the best run was the one in the Orange Bowl where he jukes that guy out in the backfield...with the VT reversed play a close second
There was one against FSU in which he was racing to the edge but two tacklers having the angle, and suddenly just blowing past and down the sideline. It happened so quickly I have to replay it a couple of times every time I watch. They go from an almost sure tackle to not even being in the game.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
There was one against FSU in which he was racing to the edge but two tacklers having the angle, and suddenly just blowing past and down the sideline. It happened so quickly I have to replay it a couple of times every time I watch. They go from an almost sure tackle to not even being in the game.
Brent Musberger... "He's a hundred meters champion, folks."

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Which
half was that it?

buzzinanut69

Jolly Good Fellow
I honestly wasn't even mad after the play against VT was called back because I was too busy rewinding and watching it over and over. I still don't quite understand how he was able to freeze a guy so bad like that with just a little hesitation move.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I honestly wasn't even mad after the play against VT was called back because I was too busy rewinding and watching it over and over. I still don't quite understand how he was able to freeze a guy so bad like that with just a little hesitation move.
Was that in the first quarter?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Sorry I don't remember. If I had to guess I would say late third, maybe early fourth.
Okay. I'll find it. That was the game that did not record and then I missed the replay. But it is on YouTube. It seems a play worth looking for. Thanks.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
Most impressive part was that it wasn't a defensive lineman or even a linebacker; it was a damn CB, which should provide some level of insight into the level of athleticism we have in our QB.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
JT didn't hurt his ankle; his ankle was injured by a dirty Fluke player. I hope we get pay back 10 times over this year.
WE WILL !..LIKE DAVID C AS A COACH BUT THEY CANT BE THIS GOOD TWO YEARS IN A ROW...........COURSE WE NEED JT OR THE WHOLE SHOW IS STOPPED..TAKE CARE

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The push our Oline gets, short yardage shouldn't be an issue no matter who is under center.
I agree. I think this is the main reason that CPJ started keeping JT in on the goal line more than anything. You still have the up-the-gut (thanks to the O-line) but you also can use JT's speed on the edge if you catch the D napping.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Got to add in the mix= the 20 yd scramble left to get out of bounds so Butt Kicker could tie uga

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Boomer, I'm thinking more along the lines of "big guy gets a hold of him, and he gets caught up in a pile".

Jamelle Holieway played in the mid 80's when offensive linemen were 250 and defensive linemen were 240.

Now you sometimes add 100 lbs to each.

I'm not talking about him being more productive if he was a little bigger, I'm talking about getting hurt.

Anyhow, I hope he stays healthy, I just worry.

A fair point, but keep in mind that muscles only ever pull. The structural integrity (so to speak- let's say the ability to resist a force in a straight line) of a person's skeletal system way, way, way outstrips any contribution your muscles or other mass might make. That's one major part of why and how football and wrestling are games of positions and angles. The 300lb lineman has the same skeleton he would have if he lost 100 lbs. In fact, at 200 his joints are probably in better condition, other things being equal.

I'm just some idiot on the internet, but I think not getting hurt is 98% technique (let's include conditioning as part of technique), 1.8% luck, and maybe size is somewhere in the remainder. If you put a mass flying at an athelete from any given direction with any given speed, the times when more size is going to make any difference in how hurt or not they get are pretty few.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Not so fast my friend.....believe this, Byerly will kill it if/when he gets his shot
Dont mean the year goes under like the Titanic but no doubt Byerly is not the speed guy that JT is and it seemed to me that speed is what made us last year.Ilike Byerly and think he can run the offense but no question speed kills and this offense is set on speed...we are lucky to have him as a back up..Like they way he throws the ball and runs over folks.