Loyola Chicago (8) vs. Georgia Tech (9), Friday, 4pm ET, TBS

GT05

Jolly Good Fellow
Williamson by far their best player. The big guy was fundamentally sound but they don’t win without the other guy. It seemed the point guard got away with some elbows offensively.

Backstreetbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
Fun year. I think CPJ has proven he is a good, and improving coach, he and his assistants have proven they can develop players, now he must prove he can consistently bring in quality recruiting classes, like he did this year. If he does this, GT is in for some good basketball.

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
If Moses doesn't return, I hope Howard spends the offseason lifting. For his size, he was outmuscled quite a bit, including having the ball ripped out of his hands a couple times by smaller players.

OG-T

Jolly Good Fellow
Great season by guys. So fun to watch. Wish Jose’s early 3 would have dropped to our us up 13 early. As for refs, not reason we lost, but I thought the tall bald white ref was really bad. His miss of the throat shot on Ush, and the overrule of the Alvarado deflection from 50 feet away on the run - whatever hero. That guy must have been a sub, he was awful.
I think Jose, Khalid, and maybe even Bubba have been gutting through with nagging injuries for weeks; they just havent seemed as full throttle, and I don’t think it’s effort, seems like it’s their body is not 100% right now, so makes me appreciate the effort even more.
GREAT GREAT season, and owe this team a great deal for making the program relevant again in a matter of about 5 months. Thanks to the whole team and coaches!

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
That is an entirely different discussion.

Yes, they controlled the pace. They did that largely by holding onto the ball, getting walled when they tried to drive and passing it around the perimeter. Then, they combined that with taking advantage of us going tiny and getting 12-1 Oreb so they could keep doing that. The first is because we were more athletic and they struggled to and the second was because of an advantage they had inside, which again, is a different conversation. If you want to argue that we should have been able to speed them up with better athletes, our guards had to also help out with making sure they didn't take advantage of our weakness inside.

They had one player, Williamson, that could hang with Usher, Mike, and Jose athletically, and basically lived off threes that they got largely because we were forced to help inside because of a lack of an interior presences most of the game. They passed well and hit enough shots to make up for it, but their guards were largely outmatched athletically.
I will wave the flag here a little bit. If they were outmatched athletically then I would say they compensated nicely by be smartly coached and having "better basketball ability". I do know that hoops savvy and athletic ability are two different animals. However the game of basketball can be still be won with overwelming superior athletic ability. I can recall it vividly from my playing days. I am adamant that our athletic ability vs theirs, if it was in a favor it was by a very small margin. Talking about theirs vs. ours tonight sans Moses.

gt24

Jolly Good Fellow
Williamson by far their best player. The big guy was fundamentally sound but they don’t win without the other guy. It seemed the point guard got away with some elbows offensively.
williamson was very good in alot of different ways at both ends

GTbball2016

Helluva Engineer
Tough loss, really respect the fight GT showed w/o your best player. Usher and Alvarado are straight ballers for sure.

It's damn shame we had to play you guys in the first round, you guys have a team I'd enjoy watching and could get behind if y'all were in a different region.
Congrats on the win. Please win on Sunday against that team full of jerks .

gt24

Jolly Good Fellow
I will wave the flag here a little bit. If they were outmatched athletically then I would say they compensated nicely by be smartly coached and having "better basketball ability". I do know that hoops savvy and athletic ability are two different animals. However the game of basketball can be still be won with overwelming superior athletic ability. I can recall it vividly from my playing days. I am adamant that our athletic ability vs theirs, if it was in a favor it was by a very small margin. Talking about theirs vs. ours tonight sans Moses.
defensively, they do a great job of making you make plays. they dont make many plays themselves (steals, deflections, blocks, etc), but they force you to make plays without giving you easy stuff (breakdowns, fouls, etc). they might not be athletic enough to force you into mistakes, but they are athletic enough (and well coached) to hold their own and not get beat easily 1v1.

that said, feel like there was a trickle down or domino effect with moses out. it wasnt just missing moses production, it was how it allowed them to defend our entire lineup differently. feel like we beat them on drives a good number of times, and would have done so more frequently except that the lane was clogged with help defenders sagging off khalid and howard.

one other note: seemed like the 50/50 balls that we usually dominate, they got alot of those tonight. loose balls. 50/50 rebounds. a few deflections we had but did not turn into steals. etc.

GTbball2016

Helluva Engineer
defensively, they do a great job of making you make plays. they dont make many plays themselves (steals, deflections, blocks, etc), but they force you to make plays without giving you easy stuff (breakdowns, fouls, etc). they might not be athletic enough to force you into mistakes, but they are athletic enough (and well coached) to hold their own and not get beat easily 1v1.

that said, feel like there was a trickle down or domino effect with moses out. it wasnt just missing moses production, it was how it allowed them to defend our entire lineup differently. feel like we beat them on drives a good number of times, and would have done so more frequently except that the lane was clogged with help defenders sagging off khalid and howard.

one other note: seemed like the 50/50 balls that we usually dominate, they got alot of those tonight. loose balls. 50/50 rebounds. a few deflections we had but did not turn into steals. etc.
We were lacking Moses’ supreme athleticism at the rim on finishes and off rebounding

gt24

Jolly Good Fellow
We were lacking Moses’ supreme athleticism at the rim on finishes and off rebounding
no doubt. clearly. my point was it was more than just his own production. LC was able to adjust their defense at all 5 spots bc moses was out. and that was just enough to neutralize our speed advantage on the perimeter.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
I have turned off the data on my phone so I could not hear about or see the result, then turned on my DVR when I got the chance. I know it's not quite the same, but once the game starts (on my TV) it doesn't lessen the tension one bit. The game might as well be live.
Wish I could warn you from the future.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Wish I could warn you from the future.
Nah, I'd watch that game 10/10 times. The guys made us proud on a national stage today. I just wish Jose had a chance to plant himself into the hearts of America like I know he would have in a cinderella run.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
30 - 17
13 - 1
19 - 9

Those numbers made the difference...
Screenshot_20210319-195827.jpg

...and of course the 3pt shooting didn't help either.