Loyola Chicago (8) vs. Georgia Tech (9), Friday, 4pm ET, TBS

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
Congrats to the ramblers! Fun team. VERY impressed by Williamson and how their entire team beat us badly on 50-50 balls and were ripping rebounds right out of our hands. Fans of this GT team are not accustomed to seeing that happen.

For GT fans and looking forward, one positive out of this game is that Sturdivant and Howard got a good taste of the big stage and both were handed their hats. If that doesn't start a fire under their rears in the off season, then I'm not sure what will.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
To put something into perspective. Loyola played 28 games and shot 546 threes in those games. That is an average of 19.5 per game. They shot 1456 shots overall. So 52 shots per game on average. So 37.5% of their shots are normally from 3. They shot 53 shots this game. 27 were from 3. That is 51% of their shots. Even with us going most of the game without a front court player, they were forced into shooting significantly more shots from 3 than they usually do.

BonafideJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
30 - 17
13 - 1
19 - 9

Those numbers made the difference...
View attachment 10185

...and of course the 3pt shooting didn't help either.
13-1 resulted in 15-0 in second chance points.

Too hang in as long as this team did when they were so outmatched on the boards is a testament to their tenacity and toughness. What a great squad and so fun to watch!

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
That Loyola team was very good. Better that most of teams I’ve seen play today. GT got screwed with the 9 seed but still would have won the game with Moses. Need to get back next year.

gt24

Jolly Good Fellow
For GT fans and looking forward, one positive out of this game is that Sturdivant and Howard got a good taste of the big stage and both were handed their hats. If that doesn't start a fire under their rears in the off season, then I'm not sure what will.
i thought howard showed solid growth this year. some fans got too exuberant about his solid game vs miami. he played almost all of that game in the paint (defensively) and did not need to move around the floor much. as i've said elsewhere, he also got a ton of help via post doubles that game. his poor performance today should not have fans giving up on him. he is a sophomore sub, and almost by definition bound to have ups and downs with some ugly games along the way. i like his progress all season. his performances december to march show solid growth. that said, i have thought all year he looks like a very solid respectable backup center for the next 2 years. the kind of veteran backup big man every team needs. i would not be surprised to see meka and/or saba pass by him in terms of development and minutes. they have higher ceilings than howard, imo. (insert a million more responses calling for a transfer big man.)

likewise, kyle is sophomore sub and had his ups and downs this year. today was one of his worst games, i thought. kyle strikes me as a point guard who will play much better and with much greater consistency with heavy minutes instead of the spot minutes or the inconsistent minutes he had this year. i thought no one on the team had a shorter leash from pastner than kyle this year. kyle got yanked after 1 mistake many many times. ever since december i have been high on kyle's future. thought he deserved more consistent minutes this year, but i can also understand pastner in a make or break year going with mostly veteran guards.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
18 assists to 11 TO for Loyola. Good passing team & Di dnt turn it over much.
Held us to 6 steals today. They are well coached so I bet Porter Moser drilled awareness and ball handling every day this week. I think the last team to stop our bread and butter like that was Louisville, who slaughtered us (albeit on 1 days rest).

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
TO's were the other big story, we needed a game like so many where we forced alot of TO's. Going into this game GT was 7th nationally in TO Margin at +4.8. It ended up -1 in this game. GT needed to be +6-7.

I thought GT had a very good gameplan. After about 10 min Loyola was able to make adjustments and GT simply didn't have many more options, especially when Moore and Usher got into foul trouble.

GT will need a post transfer badly. Next season is where the whiffed recruiting class is going to hurt. Without an ACC level starter big coming in this team will take a step back next year before moving forward in 2 years. It's been the Jr yr of every big we've had on campus since Coach Rev arrived that they have made the big jump. Some of that is simply it takes big guys longer to develop in college. Howard, like Moses, had limited HS playing experience. So he is behind from an experience standpoint and then this wasn't a normal year in terms of having guys to practice. Moses didn't show until last year. That is what i expect with our FR bigs.

Deleted member 2897

To put something into perspective. Loyola played 28 games and shot 546 threes in those games. That is an average of 19.5 per game. They shot 1456 shots overall. So 52 shots per game on average. So 37.5% of their shots are normally from 3. They shot 53 shots this game. 27 were from 3. That is 51% of their shots. Even with us going most of the game without a front court player, they were forced into shooting significantly more shots from 3 than they usually do.

Its the NCAAT in a nutshell. We shot our season high best from the floor the last time I looked and still lost. Any team can get hot and shoot with their eyes closed from 3 and they’re unbeatable. Happens every tournament multiple times.

Deleted member 2897

Moses averages 17 and what did Howard get - 2 or 4? Not for lack of effort, but just couldn’t get it done today.