Loyola Chicago (8) vs. Georgia Tech (9), Friday, 4pm ET, TBS

Jmonty71

Banned
did anyone see my post on the last page that said loyola won 70-62? what is that ?
I don't think either team reaches 70 points. This is quite possibly a below 100 points total scored, type game. I am thinking it will be a 49-46 type score. Both team excel in defense. I don't see either team lighting it up, unless one gets really hot at the 3 point line.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
Tech is playing with heart. We still have things to prove. We will not look past this team. There are no BAD teams in the tournament. We need to take every game like our season depends on it.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Video summary/edit of Loyola's only game vs a P6 opponent this year...

They can hit the three, but they give up a lot of open threes as well. Wisky's players didn't seem all that athletic, but they still looked way more athletic than Loyola's

gt24

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't think we should go Howard and Moses. First off I don't think Krutwig is much of a threat to foul out Moses. They play at a very slow place and will often use him away from the basket to help facilitate. Also, while he uses his size well to get position, it seems like most of the time when he looks to score he isn't looking for contact. IMO putting in Howard alongside Moses would be a break for Krutwig taking pressure off of him defensively. And while playing them might get a better matchup, I think that they will gladly trade Uguak guarding Moses for having one more driver out of the game.

My prediction is Moore gets less burn this game than recent ones. I think the extra size and length won't be as needed on the wing compared to some of our other games, and we will benefit more for either or Bubba or, my prediction, Sturdivant. I think its very possible that if we play a lineup of Jose, Kyle, Mike, Ush, and Moses, we might often find ourselves in a position with Kyle being guarded by someone he can reliably get a step on.

This is good ****. Really good ****.

All the talk of guarding Krutwig is warranted. But... find me a defender he has faced all year as athletic as Moses. No doubt Krutwig is crafty, so it's about much more than athleticism. But still. On the other hand, flip it to the other end of the floor. Krutwig defending Moses. I like the matchup on both ends of the floor for Moses.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I am more concerned about Loyola than I am about Illinois.

Illinois sort of plays into our defensive style. We can FSU-them to death with steals and run-outs, as I doubt they will have seen a defense like ours. (Caution: depends ENTIRELY on the way her refs call the game. If Jose has 3 fouls in the first 10 minutes on ticky-tack hand calls...we lose.)

Loyola is not likely to give up any transition baskets or turn it over much at all. It will be like paying Virginia (only they are not as good). We will have to grind out a slow, closely fought game. Our 3 point shooting will be a key factor. if we shoot 23% again, I fear we will lose.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Midwest Region writeup

Every year in the NCAA Tournament, there's at least one Region of Doom. You know what I'm talking about: That oh-so-special region that, after first glance, you just know is going to be especially gnarly.

This year it's the Midwest Region.

Best first-round game​

(8) Loyola Chicago vs. (9) Georgia Tech: I both love and hate this matchup. Love because Loyola, which is 17-2 since the calendar flipped to 2021, has the ability to make the Final Four. Love because Georgia Tech, winners of eight-straight, captured my heart when it won the ACC Tournament and subsequently became a darling with Josh Pastner and Jose Alvarado in the postgame. But I hate it because these teams are second-weekend caliber clubs, and one will be one-and-done. That's a bummer. For hoops fans, however, it should be fantastic theater.

Six players to watch​

Jose Alvarado, Georgia Tech: Alvarado averaged 15.3 points, 4.1 assists and an ACC-leading 3.0 steals per game this season. He's an impactful all-around weapon for the Yellow Jackets. He was a driving force behind Georgia Tech's first ACC Tournament title since 1993.

gt24

Jolly Good Fellow
It's interesting. I would have thought the same thing a couple of weeks ago, but remember we played Miami with Moses in trouble. Miami has far better athletes than Loyola (though they played shorthanded) and Brooks basically took it to Moses all game. Howard actually defended the 5 a lot better than Moses did. Howard changed the game for us on the defensive end and neutralized Brooks for us.

Given Loyola's relatively undersized team, and the problem Krutwig could pose vs Moses, I wonder if we don't go with Howard and Moses in the post together. That would give us the size advantage against Loyola, and also a mismatch at the 4 with Moses, to go with a bigger body to defend and take fouls at the 5.

EDIT:

I'd also like to add, without diving too much into Loyola's season, from the outside looking in, GT is problem for Loyola at every other position. If we make Moses and Kurtwig a draw, I'm not sure to a man Loyola has answers for Alvarado/Devoe/Usher. Even Sturdivant will be a problem for Loyola.

Moses and Kurtwig is the main event, but our other guys are REALLY good players. I mean, Alvarado is 1st team All ACC and DPOY, Devoe is All ACC and ACCT MVP, and Usher is playing as well as anyone on our team. Usher is playing so well right now, and his skillset and athleticism presents so many problems.

Like I said, from a pure basketball standpoint, this will be a good game to watch.

I would point out that vs Miami, we switched our defensive strategy in the 2nd half to double the post each time Brooks caught the ball. Howard did well in using his size for the most part, but he also was getting help each time. In the first half, when Moses struggled vs Brooks, we were not sending help for post double. In my opinion, Howard did his job very well, but it was not Howard that neutralized Brooks, it was the change/adjustment in strategy.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
They can hit the three, but they give up a lot of open threes as well. Wisky's players didn't seem all that athletic, but they still looked way more athletic than Loyola's
They don't shoot a lot of 3s. They get slightly less points from 3 as a percentage of total points as GT. Both teams are below average in % of points from 3. Their 3 pt shooting percentage is slightly higher, with both teams slightly higher than the national average in 3pt %.

yjfan

Jolly Good Fellow
thinking this could be a good/big game for Bubba? thinking he's quick enough to get his shot off here- wothout the size disadvantage that teams like fsu bring to the table

Last edited:

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
All the talk of guarding Krutwig is warranted. But... find me a defender he has faced all year as athletic as Moses. No doubt Krutwig is crafty, so it's about much more than athleticism. But still. On the other hand, flip it to the other end of the floor. Krutwig defending Moses. I like the matchup on both ends of the floor for Moses.

Don't get me wrong. Krutwig will almost certainly get his. It's not just crafty. Dude knows basketball. He'll get some dumpoffs off drives, use his mass to get a good position down low, and he's got several different moves to go to in order to get points. There's a reason he has averaged about 15 for several years but his career high is 24. He's real consistent and will punish mistakes made, even small ones, quite often. I expect him to get ~15 in this game but I could see him getting the same effect Jose has had at times where he has to expend so much energy guarding Moses that he might not have the offensive impact he normally does. I'm less impressed on the other end. He still has great understanding of the game but his raw athletic disadvantage is a bigger deal on that end. Moses has the ability to elevate over Krutwig and seeing as Moses isn't the type to really seek out contact when going for a shot, I don't think the way Krutwig contests will throw him off much. Beyond that though, his athleticism weakness is more likely to show off in either inability to help or being late to recover if he does, as well as potentially on the boards.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Don't get me wrong. Krutwig will almost certainly get his. It's not just crafty. Dude knows basketball. He'll get some dumpoffs off drives, use his mass to get a good position down low, and he's got several different moves to go to in order to get points. There's a reason he has averaged about 15 for several years but his career high is 24. He's real consistent and will punish mistakes made, even small ones, quite often. I expect him to get ~15 in this game but I could see him getting the same effect Jose has had at times where he has to expend so much energy guarding Moses that he might not have the offensive impact he normally does. I'm less impressed on the other end. He still has great understanding of the game but his raw athletic disadvantage is a bigger deal on that end. Moses has the ability to elevate over Krutwig and seeing as Moses isn't the type to really seek out contact when going for a shot, I don't think the way Krutwig contests will throw him off much. Beyond that though, his athleticism weakness is more likely to show off in either inability to help or being late to recover if he does, as well as potentially on the boards.

This is why the NCAAT is so fun: Unfamiliarity. Unlike in conference where most of us can recite the roster of other ACC teams, and regurgitate their strengths and weaknesses, we're now headed into the unknown. More theoretical matchups and X's and O's. Teams in the NCAAT are most certainly good...they've proven it over the course of the season.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
It's very difficult to predict how this will go. Much easier for major conference teams where the quality and makeup of peers overlaps more significantly. Plus, we each play unusual brands of basketball. Both teams appear to be better than their seeding.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
This is good ****. Really good ****.

Micah Potter for Wisconsin is darn good, and he's pretty athletic. He's more of a stretch 4, but his post game is pretty good as well. Potter is a better outside shooter than Moses and a bit longer. I don't know how much Potter matched up against Kurtwig 1v1 earlier this year, but both "got theirs" that game.

I think if we study that game, there's a lot to be learned about how to play Kurtwig and Loyola.

EDIT:

You actually posted it earlier in the thread:

Potter and Krutwig actually matched up quite a bit. One thing I get from this is Krutwig knows how to wrong foot defenders and has REALLY good short space quickness to create spacing. Some of those post moves would make Reveno proud.

Last edited:

gt24

Jolly Good Fellow
100% agree.

I don't see Krutwig beating Moses 1v1 frequently. Perhaps a few times, sure. But to your point, he still gets buckets through their offense (as opposed to 1v1). On the other end of the floor, when we run princeton point series, Moses has ball at elbow/slot and faces up, no way that guy stays in front of Moses. So he gives space and tries to entice long 2pt jumpers. Moses can hit those, but, to your point, I'm hoping Moses attacks that sag and just elevates to the rim. Don't take the bait on the long 2s. I think that goes beyond Moses, too. Whole team can't get baited into long 2s.

Deleted member 2897

Disagree. GT scores at least 69 points.

If you know, you know...:)

We have won 3 games when scoring under 69. But all of our losses are when we score less than that - we're undefeated scoring more. I'm okay with winning 46-40. :ROFLMAO: Just survive and advance baby.

GT_EE78

Banned
Geez we're a 2.5 point underdog per CBS
here's the lines for friday games
here's saturday games and spreads