Louisville

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Did Jax just have an off game or is 1-10 from the field what he is? I hope this was just an off game.

against most good teams that has been what he is. That is worse than normal, but he simply hasn't performed with any consistency.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Did Jax just have an off game or is 1-10 from the field what he is? I hope this was just an off game.

It's what he is. I don't expect anything from him at this point. Today he didn't even bring his fire extinguisher to dig his hole with.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Could you imagine this team if Gregory was still coaching.

The horror ......

Man what a fun stretch when Okogie and sLammers pulled us to within 3. Good times. ..

Seriously though, if Stephens/Jackson ever show up we might win more of these.

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
The theme of the game and the year: "It is what it is." I enjoyed watching our comeback in the second half when we closed it to 3 points. We play pretty good defense and protect the rim well, but the only thing we had going on the offensive end was Big Ben and Okogie. I actually thought CJP made some great adjustments in-game. It was smart to get Gueye in there with Lammers, as Louisville was killing us on the boards, and I thought he gave some good minutes. And I thought the switch out of zone was helpful...even though man-to-man has not been our strength.

Q and TJ and Heath...we need more from them if we are going to have any chance against other ACC teams. Here's rooting for one of them to get hot in each of our remaining games so we can get a few more upsets.

Kudos to the students and crowd to come out and make some noise. It wasn't the Thunderdome, but it was at least noticeable from TV viewing.

Let's keep rooting on our Jackets, win or lose!

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Could you imagine this team if Gregory was still coaching.
"Coaching"

"Ok, we are going to play man the whole game even though Q can't guard anyone, and we aren't going to run anything on offense. At halftime we switch halfs and those will be our adjustments.Lets hope for the best gentlemen, we're playing with house money because I shouldn't have even gotten an interview to coach in this conference. LETS GO"

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
This was the first game I could watch from overseas Our talent deficit is enormous which is not on Pastner. Lammers is a stud, a great surprise, the rest of this team would struggle to start at the Division 2 level. That being said, I don't know if Pastner is the answer. His ingame adjustments today were lacking, but if he recruits, thats 90% of the battle. Meanwhile we lose another class of students as BB fans.

in my opinion bobleaveski had a plan. we couldnt go after a high profile coach because of the money. so he hired somebody who fit the tech image . who could recruit. and who had a high enough basketball iq that he could learn on the job.

cjp is learning how to coach and that is why bobleaveski was the real force in the hiring of the asst coaches imo.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
With a team that couldn't hit a shot we got to within 3 before the guys got gassed and then Blaminator got his 4th. This is not on JP.

If "one of the top 15 coaches in the country" were still here we would probably be 7-8 right now instead of 9-6. All these losses are on Gregory and horrific inability to recruit P5 players

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Everyone knows I'm not a CBG fan. I thought we let him go 2 yrs late.

However, I'm not a fan of discussing what CBG would do with this team. He wouldn't have this team. He wouldn't have JMoore or CPast's grad transfers. He would have his own grad transfers, probably Barry and noodles jr.

It would just be different.

I like CPast's style. His first year hasn't brought the talent, fr or grd, as cbg, but we'll see.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
It would be different in that since he can't recruit a cold out of HS he'd be filling the roster out with 5th year guys still.

Stephens and Heyward were never ACC level players. Jackson is a massive bust. The list goes on and on.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
A few comments. The basic difference in this game (other than the huge talent differential) is that one team has players they could count on to shoot, and the other didn't.

I agree with AE87 on CBG. This is not the team he would have coached. Realistically he would have won more games this year than Pastner is likely to because he likely would have had more talent due to GT's, but we still would have had no upside for the future.

i don't have a big issue with Q like some do. Right now he is the 3rd best player on this team. He didn't play well today, but he played hard and he is being asked to do way more than he really should be - but he tries. TJ bothers me more than Q because he has more talent, but simply doesn't know how to, or doesn't care enough to improve and be the best player he can be. it would not shock me if his minutes start to decrease alot next season as the staff decides to go with guys they recruit. Heath has never been an ACC level player. Period. He, like Q, also plays hard, but he is a somewhat limited player and remember he only got a scholly at USF because his dad was the coach.

What's obvious is this team has 2 ACC level players right now - Lammers and Okogie. That's it. Q you could argue is an ACC level role player - i'm not sure anyone else on this roster is even that.

The fact they kept this close for most of the game - especially with how it started, it s testament to their ability to keep playing hard. GT is a horrible offensive team, not because what they run is horrible, but because they simply don't have more than 2 players you can count on to score in a given game. They run some beautiful plays, but seldom finish - whether it be at the basket or from the field. But its a surprisingly good defensive team given its talents.

i was not a fan of the Pastner hire and whether he works long term is still to be determined, but no one should be disappointed with how he and his staff have coached so far this year. it is way better than i expected.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
A few comments. The basic difference in this game (other than the huge talent differential) is that one team has players they could count on to shoot, and the other didn't.

I agree with AE87 on CBG. This is not the team he would have coached. Realistically he would have won more games this year than Pastner is likely to because he likely would have had more talent due to GT's, but we still would have had no upside for the future.

i don't have a big issue with Q like some do. Right now he is the 3rd best player on this team. He didn't play well today, but he played hard and he is being asked to do way more than he really should be - but he tries. TJ bothers me more than Q because he has more talent, but simply doesn't know how to, or doesn't care enough to improve and be the best player he can be. it would not shock me if his minutes start to decrease alot next season as the staff decides to go with guys they recruit. Heath has never been an ACC level player. Period. He, like Q, also plays hard, but he is a somewhat limited player and remember he only got a scholly at USF because his dad was the coach.

What's obvious is this team has 2 ACC level players right now - Lammers and Okogie. That's it. Q you could argue is an ACC level role player - i'm not sure anyone else on this roster is even that.

The fact they kept this close for most of the game - especially with how it started, it s testament to their ability to keep playing hard. GT is a horrible offensive team, not because what they run is horrible, but because they simply don't have more than 2 players you can count on to score in a given game. They run some beautiful plays, but seldom finish - whether it be at the basket or from the field. But its a surprisingly good defensive team given its talents.

i was not a fan of the Pastner hire and whether he works long term is still to be determined, but no one should be disappointed with how he and his staff have coached so far this year. it is way better than i expected.

Well said.

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I am a bigger fan of Pastner now than when we hired him. We knew he can recruit but the guy can coach too. Plus he has a great staff. The work they have done with Ben is unreal. I really think if we can land MJ Walker this team will come together a lot faster. A lineup of Jose, Okogie, MJ, Haywood, Lammers with Moore, TJ, Mathews, and AG off the bench is pretty good and way more offensive weapons than this years team.

scotts

Jolly Good Fellow
I expected us to be 0-3 after the 1st three ACC games. To be sitting at 1-2 is better than anyone would have imagined.

Let's beat NCS on Th. We should have a better shot at winning that one.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

Agreed 100% especially the last paragraph. I feel exactly the same way.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
We can beat Clemson. They are better offensively than in years past but if we make it ugly we have a shot. Our perimeter D needs to shape up a bit but they don't have an answer for Blam Blam. Keep Blossomgame and .......crap.......the JuCO kid....from going completely off and we can squeak it out.