Louisville

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
A few comments. The basic difference in this game (other than the huge talent differential) is that one team has players they could count on to shoot, and the other didn't.

I agree with AE87 on CBG. This is not the team he would have coached. Realistically he would have won more games this year than Pastner is likely to because he likely would have had more talent due to GT's, but we still would have had no upside for the future.

i don't have a big issue with Q like some do. Right now he is the 3rd best player on this team. He didn't play well today, but he played hard and he is being asked to do way more than he really should be - but he tries. TJ bothers me more than Q because he has more talent, but simply doesn't know how to, or doesn't care enough to improve and be the best player he can be. it would not shock me if his minutes start to decrease alot next season as the staff decides to go with guys they recruit. Heath has never been an ACC level player. Period. He, like Q, also plays hard, but he is a somewhat limited player and remember he only got a scholly at USF because his dad was the coach.

What's obvious is this team has 2 ACC level players right now - Lammers and Okogie. That's it. Q you could argue is an ACC level role player - i'm not sure anyone else on this roster is even that.

The fact they kept this close for most of the game - especially with how it started, it s testament to their ability to keep playing hard. GT is a horrible offensive team, not because what they run is horrible, but because they simply don't have more than 2 players you can count on to score in a given game. They run some beautiful plays, but seldom finish - whether it be at the basket or from the field. But its a surprisingly good defensive team given its talents.

i was not a fan of the Pastner hire and whether he works long term is still to be determined, but no one should be disappointed with how he and his staff have coached so far this year. it is way better than i expected.

(y)

techgrad

Jolly Good Fellow
I am a bigger fan of Pastner now than when we hired him. We knew he can recruit but the guy can coach too. Plus he has a great staff. The work they have done with Ben is unreal. I really think if we can land MJ Walker this team will come together a lot faster. A lineup of Jose, Okogie, MJ, Haywood, Lammers with Moore, TJ, Mathews, and AG off the bench is pretty good and way more offensive weapons than this years team.

+1

MJ plus a big!

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
I am a bigger fan of Pastner now than when we hired him. We knew he can recruit but the guy can coach too. Plus he has a great staff. The work they have done with Ben is unreal. I really think if we can land MJ Walker this team will come together a lot faster. A lineup of Jose, Okogie, MJ, Haywood, Lammers with Moore, TJ, Mathews, and AG off the bench is pretty good and way more offensive weapons than this years team.

I wouldn't totally agree with the great staff comment. I think Rev has done an unbelievable job with Lammers, as you said, but I've been a little disappointed with Labarrie. My thought when bringing him in over a guy like Huff or Sharman was that he had more experience pounding the recruiting trail in the Atlanta area. I know it's early, and maybe I'm impatient, but missing out on Obiagu and especially Sexton hurts, not to mention the fact that both kids go out of state. Obviously time will tell on MJ, but if we don't land him that's three pretty big misses in GA.

I know it's a late start and a process blah blah. But Labarrie was brought in to pull these kids, and if we strike out with Khavon and other top GA players in 2018, I'm not sure where else to point the finger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't totally agree with the great staff comment. I think Rev has done an unbelievable job with Lammers, as you said, but I've been a little disappointed with Labarrie. My thought when bringing him in over a guy like Huff or Sharman was that he had more experience pounding the recruiting trail in the Atlanta area. I know it's early, and maybe I'm impatient, but missing out on Obiagu and especially Sexton hurts, not to mention the fact that both kids go out of state. Obviously time will tell on MJ, but if we don't land him that's three pretty big misses in GA.

I know it's a late start and a process blah blah. But Labarrie was brought in to pull these kids, and if we strike out with Khavon and other top GA players in 2018, I'm not sure where else to point the finger.

They were hired in what? Mid May? Those kids committed in November? To try to convince the kids in the 17 class who committed early that they should entrust their future to a new regime and a school that probably hadnt recruited them very hard up until that point is a tall order. Not to mention our recent history of failure and booooooring on court system. Oh and then there is the grades. THats a lot of selling to get done while guys like Carlton Young and Avery Johnson are sitting in the kids living room.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
They were hired in what? Mid May? Those kids committed in November? To try to convince the kids in the 17 class who committed early that they should entrust their future to a new regime and a school that probably hadnt recruited them very hard up until that point is a tall order. Not to mention our recent history of failure and booooooring on court system. Oh and then there is the grades. THats a lot of selling to get done while guys like Carlton Young and Avery Johnson are sitting in the kids living room.

I know it's tough - my comment was that I've been a little disappointed in Labarrie. I haven't given up on him and am not calling for his head (that comes after next years recruiting cycle if we come up empty). I'm just saying there are guys in our back yard (Labarrie's jurisdiction) that we've missed on.

Again, it's a difficult thing to do to turn a program around quickly, and it's an unenviable position. But it's not like it hasn't been done before. Bruce Pearl pulled in 5 guys that all committed after he started in his first year, one of whom is Danjel Purifoy.

I like Pastner and his staff (for the most part), but we need some things to go our way on the recruiting trail.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I know it's tough - my comment was that I've been a little disappointed in Labarrie. I haven't given up on him and am not calling for his head (that comes after next years recruiting cycle if we come up empty). I'm just saying there are guys in our back yard (Labarrie's jurisdiction) that we've missed on.

Again, it's a difficult thing to do to turn a program around quickly, and it's an unenviable position. But it's not like it hasn't been done before. Bruce Pearl pulled in 5 guys that all committed after he started in his first year, one of whom is Danjel Purifoy.

I like Pastner and his staff (for the most part), but we need some things to go our way on the recruiting trail.

We beat out 2 local programs for a tough as nails NYC PG & we cut off a lot of teams at the pass for a late-blooming 3 & D type player. We don't have quantity yet, but those are a couple of things that have gone our way.

We're very much in the hunt for MJ Walker and 2 behind the pay wall analysts think we're in the thick of things with FSU & Kansas there.

You can't really judge LaBarrie until after the 2019 class finishes up. We've got offers out to the entire GA Stars 16U team just about and he'll have the lead there. Also, as a general rule for everyone, cast aside judging recruiting based on the very top of GA's best getting away from us. I want Khavon Moore as much as anyone, but if we ended up with Landers Nolley, Will Richardson, & Trey Doomes from in-state and who were gonna get us buckets for 4 years, I'll gladly take that. Finally, don't assume that LaBarrie is only covering in-state. I don't know where else he has coverage, but this staff has had more of a team approach at times.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
If we're comparing our recruiting with Pearl, we have an issue. I doubt we will ever sink to the levels that pond scum calls home. Add to that the fact that he's recruiting at a school with no academic requirements and you've got a match made in heaven. remember, Auburn admits paying Cam Newton's father $250,000 in cash for one year of playing time. (Somehow the NCAA agreed that Cam knew nothing about it and was never punished. They kept their national title with a pay-for-play MVP and no one ever said a word.)

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
We beat out 2 local programs for a tough as nails NYC PG & we cut off a lot of teams at the pass for a late-blooming 3 & D type player. We don't have quantity yet, but those are a couple of things that have gone our way.

We're very much in the hunt for MJ Walker and 2 behind the pay wall analysts think we're in the thick of things with FSU & Kansas there.

You can't really judge LaBarrie until after the 2019 class finishes up. We've got offers out to the entire GA Stars 16U team just about and he'll have the lead there. Also, as a general rule for everyone, cast aside judging recruiting based on the very top of GA's best getting away from us. I want Khavon Moore as much as anyone, but if we ended up with Landers Nolley, Will Richardson, & Trey Doomes from in-state and who were gonna get us buckets for 4 years, I'll gladly take that. Finally, don't assume that LaBarrie is only covering in-state. I don't know where else he has coverage, but this staff has had more of a team approach at times.

All fair points. 2019 would be the last straw for me, but I can understand your rationale. I'm happy with Jose and CGB - please don't mistake my comments for that. It'll be interesting to see where MJ lands, no doubt will be a battle til the end. Sorry for the tangent/hijack.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
All fair points. 2019 would be the last straw for me, but I can understand your rationale. I'm happy with Jose and CGB - please don't mistake my comments for that. It'll be interesting to see where MJ lands, no doubt will be a battle til the end. Sorry for the tangent/hijack.

Let me clarify: 2018 is when it needs to get done in my opinion, with 2019 being the last straw

Jumpman

Ramblin' Wreck

You do realize that the only reason we even had a shot at Sexton was due to LaBarrie? Tech wasn't even in the picture before this staff. I'd take LaBarrie over Huff or White any day. White is a known cheater who was investigated and suspended for a year for cheating. He's also not doing that great of a job at Georgia State. Their guard play has gone to crap and he hasn't signed any of the in state players that many at Tech thought he had a sure shot of signing. It's weird that you would single out LaBarrie because a couple of kids decided to sign with schools that had been recruiting them for years. Especially when the previous staff wasn't signing multiple 5 star recruits or even being a serious contender. I've seen LaBarrie on social media talking about recruiting in Spain and France. If the top European players decide to go elsewhere, do we blame LaBarrie for that too?

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
You do realize that the only reason we even had a shot at Sexton was due to LaBarrie? Tech wasn't even in the picture before this staff. I'd take LaBarrie over Huff or White any day. White is a known cheater who was investigated and suspended for a year for cheating. He's also not doing that great of a job at Georgia State. Their guard play has gone to crap and he hasn't signed any of the in state players that many at Tech thought he had a sure shot of signing. It's weird that you would single out LaBarrie because a couple of kids decided to sign with schools that had been recruiting them for years. Especially when the previous staff wasn't signing multiple 5 star recruits or even being a serious contender. I've seen LaBarrie on social media talking about recruiting in Spain and France. If the top European players decide to go elsewhere, do we blame LaBarrie for that too?

Stoking the fire after its already out - nice. You must feel pretty strongly about this point, so I'll respond. Sharman was suspended 16 years ago.. Respectable programs have hired coaches more recently after worse offenses. And are you honestly predicting his recruiting success, or lack thereof, at Tech based on what he's done at Ga St in the same amount of time that Labarrie (who you're defending) has been at Tech? And the fact that the previous staff wasn't bringing in 5 star caliber players is the reason they weren't retained and Labarrie was brought in, so is your point that he's not as bad as Chad Dollar? Idk, I guess he's not, but we'll see? Not a super strong argument either way though.

Jumpman

Ramblin' Wreck
Stoking the fire after its already out - nice. You must feel pretty strongly about this point, so I'll respond. Sharman was suspended 16 years ago.. Respectable programs have hired coaches more recently after worse offenses. And are you honestly predicting his recruiting success, or lack thereof, at Tech based on what he's done at Ga St in the same amount of time that Labarrie (who you're defending) has been at Tech? And the fact that the previous staff wasn't bringing in 5 star caliber players is the reason they weren't retained and Labarrie was brought in, so is your point that he's not as bad as Chad Dollar? Idk, I guess he's not, but we'll see? Not a super strong argument either way though.

White continued to do the same thing up until last year. How do you think he continued to get all of these top players. It's pretty well known in the High School and AAU coaching circles. White is not well liked by many of the coaches and they wouldn't recommend any of their players signing with him. Many on the Tech boards figured that if White was hired that he would immediately sign all of these top players, he can't even get mediocre players to sign at State. LaBarrie has at least given us a chance with some of the top players in the state this year. Just imagine if the staff had the same amount of time in front of this year's class as these other schools. Things would probably be different. And as far as I know LaBarries doesn't just recruit in Atlanta. For that matter neither does the entire staff. Once again, I find it odd that you would single out one coach on the staff and find displeasure in him because some kids decided to go to another school when Tech wasn't even on their radar before this staff. There's no need to respond because I won't be responding to you. I can tell from your response that you just like to argue and try to belittle without actually making any valid points.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
DLaB was the connection to land us Justin Moore.

Reality is that it's going to take the 2017-2019 recruiting cycles to see how the coaches, including CJP, perform in aggregate. They'll also be judged on a lot more than just landing prospects. I think it's clear from results to date, style of play, & excellent effort, it's a group effort to get this type of performance out of the kids.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
White continued to do the same thing up until last year. How do you think he continued to get all of these top players. It's pretty well known in the High School and AAU coaching circles. White is not well liked by many of the coaches and they wouldn't recommend any of their players signing with him. Many on the Tech boards figured that if White was hired that he would immediately sign all of these top players, he can't even get mediocre players to sign at State. LaBarrie has at least given us a chance with some of the top players in the state this year. Just imagine if the staff had the same amount of time in front of this year's class as these other schools. Things would probably be different. And as far as I know LaBarries doesn't just recruit in Atlanta. For that matter neither does the entire staff. Once again, I find it odd that you would single out one coach on the staff and find displeasure in him because some kids decided to go to another school when Tech wasn't even on their radar before this staff. There's no need to respond because I won't be responding to you. I can tell from your response that you just like to argue and try to belittle without actually making any valid points.

Interesting comments regarding SharmanWhite. I remember wondering why it took him so long to get a college job with a such a sterling resume. Quite a few posters tried to intimate he was just being picky...then he ends up at GA State (not saying anything bad about State, just that a guy with White's resume is usually a high value target for colleges trying to tap into talent pipeline). Kinda boggled my mind that someone with that much success, and has access to all those recruits couldn't get an ACC or SEC job over the last 15 years.

Last edited: