Louisville Post Game

stech81

Helluva Engineer
This team is better than the last 4 years. Offense showed signs that this can be a very good team. Defense team can work hard and maybe get to be ok not good but ok. I was worried about our LB's maybe after a few games and playing together they will get better.
The coaching staff is fine but the problem was making adjustments. It was the first game lets not get upset and see if things we did wrong, we can get better.
What we got to do is learn from the mistakes. Give the players and coaching staff time. We were not going to win 12 games and we will not lose 12 games.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
I think too many of us have been scared by coach Collins, and hate the defeatist downers that we have on this board
Last night turned out bad but there are still plenty of positives.
Long season to go and I think this team can rebound.
I'm glad to see Key on the sidelines, grilling thacker about the tackling, no excuse for that or the collapse in the second half
No reason to write this season off yet, lots of football to play out, we have the right coach at least

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
Haynes King can be a great qb. Anyone on this board who thinks he cost us the game should continue posting in the volleyball forum. He can make every throw on the field and has great mobility. I look forward to watching him grow with these receivers
I thought King played good the kicking games and the turnover late in the game was a killer. I saw a much improved football team last night but there is still work that needs to be done. We were in position to get the win with 5 minutes remaining and we turn the ball over. Only thing we can do now is take this loss out on SC State and get something good going. It’s a loss and it stinks but we had a chance to get the win we just didn’t get it done, it happens. I’m proud of the way the team played just gotta clean up a few things.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
Long way to go. Need to recruit a lot of studs. I mean, a LOT of them.

Studs can block and tackle a lot better than average guys.

BTW, Louisville was a 15-point favorite before the game started, if I remember reading correctly. We lost by 5.
The closing line was 7.5

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I disagree. We were thoroughly outplayed in 3 out of 4 quarters. We abandoned everything on offense that was working in the 2nd quarter for some reason and the defense missed like 20 open field tackles giving louisville huge gains. We executed poorly on offense, defense, and special teams in pretty much every quarter outside the 2nd and the final drive
I have not read all the other posts yet, got home way too late, but this is a quick synopsis of what many of us at the game saw too.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Outside of garbage time and a few QB scrambles, did we have a single run go for more than 1 yard in the 2H?
Too many up the middle runs for 1 or 2 yards in the 3rd quarter was killing us. About went berserk up in the stands when we couldn't get her offensive line to create any holes. That third quarter was deadly.

bigrabbit

Jolly Good Fellow
Didn’t King make some kind of comment on tv at halftime about plays on the edge working and keeping that up?

I was watching while doing other things - but iirc we opened the 2nd half with a screen on the right edge that had worked in the first half but got stuffed. I thought, ok Louisville made adjustments. Did they take away edge plays and passes in the flats? There was a reason we kept trying inside runs (unsuccessfully), our coaches aren’t stupid. Was the problem that holes weren’t opening, or timing with our backs hitting holes, or both? Our OL looked competent but not as dominating as we hoped.

Given our inability to consistently make tackles, we would need the offense to keep humming in the 2H to secure the win. We’re missing Charlie Thomas and Ace Eley big time.

So lots of things to work on.

Our team strikes me as an average ACC team that can win some games. At least we look like we practiced - vs the nonsense we would have seen a couple years ago with the previous buffoon. My kid (student ) told me it was a good party, students had fun. Go Jackets.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

Whenever I hear a QB speak this way I have two simultaneous thoughts.

One is to remember the pitcher in Bull Durham who had great physical skills but didn’t understand the technicalities of the game and needed to rely on some one else to understand what was happening on the field.

The other thought is that the QB has been coached in “coach speak” and doesn’t want to give away anything to opposition research about what we are thinking and trying to do offensively.

King is a new quarterback and new player on a new team. I imagine he wants to be careful about how he comes across to his teammates too.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Too many up the middle runs for 1 or 2 yards in the 3rd quarter was killing us. About went berserk up in the stands when we couldn't get her offensive line to create any holes. That third quarter was deadly.
I could not watch game and wondered did UL change their defense or did we change our offense? Or did UL half time build a fire in their defense and we became complacent after that 28 point quarter. The 2nd half 8 minute drive followed by, IIRC, a 3 and out by us was a game changer.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I could not watch game and wondered did UL change their defense or did we change our offense? Or did UL half time build a fire in their defense and we became complacent after that 28 point quarter. The 2nd half 8 minute drive followed by, IIRC, a 3 and out by us was a game changer.
Key said it best. Out margin for error was small. UL made adjustments and we ran out of counter measures. Make a field goal and don’t fumble and we still might have pulled this one out. But overall we were almost out of gas. Louisville had a lot of weapons on offense and defense. We couldn’t hold them off forever.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Hungover thoughts this morning:

Louisville did not appear to have many fans at the game. I sat in a Louisville section the first half, and it was still 50% Tech fans. Switched to a Tech section 2nd half which clearly caused this loss, so I apologize for that. Tech section I moved to had some Louisville fans, but maybe only 10%. The other side of the field looked like it had no Louisville fans. Announce crowd was like 36k, and it felt like 5-8k Louisville and 28-30k Tech. Lots of empty seats all over the place which probably looked terrible on TV, third level was not covered like I think has been done in the past. Louisville fans around me were mostly pleasant the first half.

1st half slow start for Tech's offense, but once they got rolling it was enjoyable. I thought the D did a good job holding Louisville to a field goal after the interception, obviously would have preferred not to turn it over in field goal range for them though. 2nd half the offense was mostly bad, and I think the D wore down and made more and more mistakes. They played to the end and didn't give up.

If you had told me pregame that we would score 28 points in the 2nd quarter, I wouldn't have believed you. To then surround that with three almost scoreless quarters is kind of baffling. Can't play to not lose, which definitely felt like what we were doing the secons half. Very Gailey-esque.

I'm not 100% sold on King just yet. Overall he played well, threw some really good passes and ran well, but he had several dangerous/terrible throws, one of which almost ended up being another interception when it had no business being directed near the field of play. I don't think he necessarily shoulders all or most of the blame on the interception or fumble, that goes to the O line, but I think he deserves some of it and both of those were costly mistakes that resulted in 10 points for Louisville. I don't really get the feeling he can will us to victory like some of the other QBs we've had/have, but I'm sure he'll get more opportunities to show us.

Running backs were bad for the most part. Several times they pulled up instead of hitting the hole full speed, and it cost us. Made me miss the days of having a B-Back barrel into defenders for a consistent 3 yards. The running game play calling, particularly in the second half also felt terrible. Handoff up the middle for 1 yard, over and over. Really need to get better here.

Receivers struggled to get separation and dropped several good passes.

Defensively, nobody really stood out as a playmaker. The D line got no push all game, felt like they were waiting for Louisville's OL to hit them first. Plummer had all day to throw, and their runningbacks had large gaps to hit several times. Pretty disappointed with this group. The one time I remember someone made it into the backfield they completely whiffed on one of the slowest QBs we will probably face and let him escape. The secondary was okayish, but allowed several big plays with guys falling down or just being out of position. The TD they scored on Jaylon King was frustrating, he's been around a while and should be one of our better DBs, but he got beat easily. Tackling was terrible all game, every year I'm amazed at how the basics of wrapping up seem to be forgotten.

I will always be disappointed when we lose, particularly such a winnable game. But it was the first game of the season, against a real opponent, with a new staff and a lot of new players, and I think we saw some good signs. Need to clean up the mistakes, find some play makers, and get the lines playing better, and we'll win some football games. We get an easy game against SC State next week and then go on the road to Ole Miss, let's hope we can put together a good game by then and maybe steal a victory.

Last edited:

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Signs of life on offense just need to be consistent for all four quarters. Both ol and dl need improvement.

We have talent offensively. Lot of the game reminded me of CPJ dive calls keeping the d honest. Just wish the counter was more successful. Also that alley run by Cooley was awesome. Loved the TE blocking
I do think we are missing a big back for short yard situations. All our backs are listed under 200. Take one of the LB's that was a back in HS. We've got a lot at that position. At times we need to pound up in the line and from the chat it sounded like we were getting stuffed last night.
There should be big improvement next game and we.may see some personnel changes.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
The team came out flat in the second as the coaching staff went conservative in their play calling. While we gave away the game with the fumble, the missed chip shot FG, far too many missed blocks on offense and even more missed tackles on defense, I do not understand how a team that has lost so many games in the past few years can come out of the locker room like that. We are not good enough to coast in the second half like we did in the third and most of the fourth quarter. Whoever spoke to them needs to rethink their halftime communication strategy, because the team had no fire.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Hungover thoughts this morning:

Louisville did not appear to have many fans at the game. I sat in a Louisville section the first half, and it was still 50% Tech fans. Switched to a Tech section 2nd half which clearly caused this loss, so I apologize for that. Tech section I moved to had some Louisville fans, but maybe only 10%. The other side of the field looked like it had no Louisville fans. Announce crowd was like 36k, and it felt like 5-8k Louisville and 28-30k Tech. Lots of empty seats all over the place which probably looked terrible on TV, third level was not covered like I think has been done in the past. Louisville fans around me were mostly pleasant the first half.

1st half slow start for Tech's offense, but once they got rolling it was enjoyable. I thought the D did a good job holding Louisville to a field goal after the interception, obviously would have preferred not to turn it over in field goal range for them though. 2nd half the offense was mostly bad, and I think the D wore down and made more and more mistakes. They played to the end and didn't give up.

If you had told me pregame that we would score 28 points in the 2nd quarter, I wouldn't have believed you. To then surround that with three almost scoreless quarters is kind of baffling. Can't play to not lose, which definitely felt like what we were doing the secons half. Very Gailey-esque.

I'm not 100% sold on King just yet. Overall he played well, threw some really good passes and ran well, but he had several dangerous/terrible throws, one of which almost ended up being another interception when it had no business being directed near the field of play. I don't think he necessarily shoulders all or most of the blame on the interception or fumble, that goes to the O line, but I think he deserves some of it and both of those were costly mistakes that resulted in 10 points for Louisville. I don't really get the feeling he can will us to victory like some of the other QBs we've had/have, but I'm sure he'll get more opportunities to show us.

Running backs were bad for the most part. Several times they pulled up instead of hitting the hole full speed, and it cost us. Made me miss the days of having a B-Back barrel into defenders for a consistent 3 yards. The running game play calling, particularly in the second half also felt terrible. Handoff up the middle for 1 yard, over and over. Really need to get better here.

Receivers struggled to get separation and dropped several good passes.

Defensively, nobody really stood out as a playmaker. The D line got no push all game, felt like they were waiting for Louisville's OL to hit them first. Plummer had all day to throw, and their runningbacks had large gaps to hit several times. Pretty disappointed with this group. The one time I remember someone made it into the backfield they completely whiffed on one of the slowest QBs we will probably face and let him escape. The secondary was okayish, but allowed several big plays with guys falling down or just being out of position. The TD they scored on Jaylon King was frustrating, he's been around a while and should be one of our better DBs, but he got beat easily. Tackling was terrible all game, every year I'm amazed at how the basics of wrapping up seem to be forgotten.

I will always be disappointed when we lose, particularly such a winnable game. But it was the first game of the season, against a real opponent, with a new staff and a lot of new players, and I think we saw some good signs. Need to clean up the mistakes, find some play makers, and get the lines playing better, and we'll win some football games. We get an easy game against SC State next week and then go on the road to Ole Miss, let's hope we can put together a good game by then and maybe steal a victory.
Only caveat to this is that Louisville’s defensive front was a tough test for us. When they stuff you repeatedly it makes the play calling look bad. In my opinion it was not about “playing conservatively.” It was about struggling to find something we could do successfully and that wouldn’t result in more lost yards or a fumble. Their speed on the edge was formidable and after their half time adjustments there was nothing there for us.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Didn’t King make some kind of comment on tv at halftime about plays on the edge working and keeping that up?

I was watching while doing other things - but iirc we opened the 2nd half with a screen on the right edge that had worked in the first half but got stuffed. I thought, ok Louisville made adjustments. Did they take away edge plays and passes in the flats? There was a reason we kept trying inside runs (unsuccessfully), our coaches aren’t stupid. Was the problem that holes weren’t opening, or timing with our backs hitting holes, or both? Our OL looked competent but not as dominating as we hoped.

Given our inability to consistently make tackles, we would need the offense to keep humming in the 2H to secure the win. We’re missing Charlie Thomas and Ace Eley big time.

So lots of things to work on.

Our team strikes me as an average ACC team that can win some games. At least we look like we practiced - vs the nonsense we would have seen a couple years ago with the previous buffoon. My kid (student ) told me it was a good party, students had fun. Go Jackets.
What we are missing is a really good DC. If we end up in the bottom half of P5 ratings again this year, time for Thacker to go. Statistically he should have already been gone. We should win games when we score 40+ points.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Only caveat to this is that Louisville’s defensive front was a tough test for us. When they stuff you repeatedly it makes the play calling look bad. In my opinion it was not about “playing conservatively.” It was about struggling to find something we could do successfully and that wouldn’t result in more lost yards or a fumble. Their speed on the edge was formidable and after their half time adjustments there was nothing there for us.
Sounds like they controlled the middle most of the game and took away the edge in the second half. That puts it all on the QB and the D to win. 40+ points is enough to win with a good D.

Thwg777

Jolly Good Fellow
Reminded me a lot of 2017 against Tenny… looked good but we found ways to lose. It’s going to be tough to compete when whoever’s under center is getting crushed on the blindside.