Louisville Post Game

CEB

Helluva Engineer
It looked like to me Smith was slow hitting the hole. There wasn't too much there, but it just looked slow.
Agree... he is supposed to be out north / south guy and he looked hesitant. He was stopping, spinning, side stepping...
maybe Lville keyed the run early and gave him tougher looks, but I thought the other guys hit holes faster

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
This reminds me of the Tennessee game we lost a few years ago. We had it in our grasp but found a way to lose. That seems to be our modus operandi. This was a huge opportunity to change the perception of Georgia Tech football, but alas we just proved the talking heads right rather than shoving a crap sandwich down their throats. I am so disappointed. We have to learn how to win and not stand around waiting for something bad to happen. I hope Key will find a way to make that happen. I really think he is on a short leash and needs to win now. I don't think our President, Cabrera, will have much patience. He ran Stansbury and Collins off, first chance he got.

JacketFan137

Banned
It looked like to me Smith was slow hitting the hole. There wasn't too much there, but it just looked slow.
he really hasn’t shown much since his first year in the program unfortunately. he had a few lanes it appeared he missed. hope he can get right cause he seems like a good kid and a very hard working and loyal jacket

Jacket4Life

Jolly Good Fellow
Was at the game. For the most part I am really excited for this team. We are night and day better than we have been. Only thing I have to criticize is the play calling in the 2nd half. We got way to conservative.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Was at the game. For the most part I am really excited for this team. We are night and day better than we have been. Only thing I have to criticize is the play calling in the 2nd half. We got way to conservative.

Even with the lull in the 1st and 3rd quarters, this is probably the most competent offense we've had in 4 years. You can see that this offense can be a load for defenses to handle later in the year. We've got some nice weapons on offense...and King will be so much better as this offense gets more reps.

Play calling is an art. Let's remember that Faulkner hasn't called plays in years so he's also having to adjust with our players.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
I would love to know if Stewart has hit reliably from that distance in practice for the end-of-first-half FG attempt.
He badly missed one from that distance in the spring game.

Edit: sorry I thought you were referring to the short one he missed

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Before I read other posts, my initial thoughts are that it was a mistake to retain Thacker. I thought it was a bad decision before, and I have not been dissuaded after tonight.
And maybe a mistake to not retain Caralla? Our two best players got hurt, our guys were getting trucked left and right, and one defender was not bringing anyone from Louisville down.

QuickKick

Georgia Tech Fan
This reminds me of the Tennessee game we lost a few years ago. We had it in our grasp but found a way to lose. That seems to be our modus operandi. This was a huge opportunity to change the perception of Georgia Tech football, but alas we just proved the talking heads right rather than shoving a crap sandwich down their throats. I am so disappointed. We have to learn how to win and not stand around waiting for something bad to happen. I hope Key will find a way to make that happen. I really think he is on a short leash and needs to win now. I don't think our President, Cabrera, will have much patience. He ran Stansbury and Collins off, first chance he got.
Really dumb 2nd half. Instead of playing to win we played not to lose and boy did it show. Key should know better. No excuse.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Goodness knows I'm not a FB guru but I have watched my fair share of GT FB through the years & I like what I saw last night. When the day started I didn't expect to win & had several people ask me how I felt the game & season might go. I told my boss that I was upbeat about this upcoming season & thought we would give it a good showing for our opener. There is nothing about last night's game that changes my opinion. I saw a typical GT start where we sputtered in the 1st quarter & then gave it a lot of gas in the 2nd. We had a sucky 3rd quarter that seemed to go on forever. The 4th quarter showed me a team that hadn't given up & found a way to ALMOST bring home the win. I haven't seen that team in a few years & I look forward to seeing more of this team as the season progresses.

Like someone said in an earlier post, this game reminds me of the opener against TN in 2014...

Watching on TV I was very impressed with the turnout & noise from the GT fans. Good showing.

Go Jackets Sting 'em!

Eli

Helluva Engineer
The good news, we have a decent qb. Not great, but can make the throws you expect out of a power five qb. Bad news, we are really going to miss Keion White. We don’t have a pass rusher that can win with any consistency. Key went really conservative last year and ran a ton when we had leads… thought it was an interim trying to not lose games but he may just be an ultra conservative coach.
Haynes King can be a great qb. Anyone on this board who thinks he cost us the game should continue posting in the volleyball forum. He can make every throw on the field and has great mobility. I look forward to watching him grow with these receivers