Louisville Post Game

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
I feel like that was a call you only make in a dome.
I don’t think a Hail Mary has any better chance and with the dome conditions, I’m good with that FG attempt.
Probably a lower chance but a fair bit higher upside.

Like, if the kick is <30%, I want to go for the knockout blow even if it’s in the 0-10% range.

Tundeballer

Jolly Good Fellow
The good news, we have a decent qb. Not great, but can make the throws you expect out of a power five qb. Bad news, we are really going to miss Keion White. We don’t have a pass rusher that can win with any consistency. Key went really conservative last year and ran a ton when we had leads… thought it was an interim trying to not lose games but he may just be an ultra conservative coach.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Gotta score in a half to win a game.
After watching it twice, my reaction is the same. We are not that good, the tackling is very poor and the line play on both sides of the ball was disappointing. I see now why the coaches have faith in King. He is dangerous given time and is mobile enough to hurt defenses. The blindside fumble was the difference and Louisville just had better players especially on the defensive line. They got pressure and we did not. I think both teams need a lot of work to even think about a bowl game. Would not be surprised if both teams are close to .500 at the end of the year and may even have losing records.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Clueless people don’t understand failed execution. We had the game won but costly mistakes lead to points for the other team every time. Pretty lucky. Louisville will finish 5-7. Tech will be 8-4. Dumb *** one off
Only thing I disagree with is the Lville record. They have a much easier schedule than Tech. They will be an 8 win twam, which is why closing this one out would’ve been a HUGE deal.
This won’t be a bad loss, but it should’ve been a big win.

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck
I will say crowd was fantastic in the 1st half. The defense really fed off the standing ovations from the crowd in the 2nd quarter every time they took the field down in that corner between Sections 103-107. Unfortunately those stopped at halftime and our defense/crowd both came out sleepy.
THIS I was wondering why we didn't keep the noise up and that showed our fan base to a core

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Only thing I disagree with is the Lville record. They have a much easier schedule than Tech. They will be an 8 win twam, which is why closing this one out would’ve been a HUGE deal.
This won’t be a bad loss, but it should’ve been a big win.
They do have a much easier schedule but honestly I don't think they are that good but we will see.

Jacket0323

Jolly Good Fellow
Few quick things:

1. Seemed like we took our foot off the pedal in the 3rd quarter after having one of the most explosive 2nd quarters in the last 4 years.
2. Cooley should have gotten more carries.
3. Defensive tackling was atrocious. Absolutely atrocious. We actually went backwards from where we ended last season.
What happened to DSmith???

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Before I read other posts, my initial thoughts are that it was a mistake to retain Thacker. I thought it was a bad decision before, and I have not been dissuaded after tonight.

For a new OC and a new QB, I thought the offense did alright. Not consistent enough yet, but better than we have been. Considering how infrequently we score over 30 in the past few years, I’ll take tonight’s performance.

The players played until the end, and looked like a football team. I expect us to surprise some folks this year.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Louisville has some athletes. Felt through the whole game like they were more physical, bigger, more athletic. We neutralized their advantage at times through good execution and keeping penalties to a minimum. We needed to execute flawlessly but that didn’t happen. Game could have gone either way.

Key looked broken hearted after the game. I think he thought we would win.

If we had played Tennessee Martin in our first game we could have worked on some things and still gotten a confidence boosting win.

The team will get better.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Watching at work, I was yelling to go for the throat and pass into the endzone at the end of the first half. The field goal attempt, while close, set it in my mind that we were not an aggressive team.
Lots of improvement from last year. If king doesn't fumble, I feel we win and all the conversations are 180° from where they are now.
Got to get it out of our system and punish SC St next Saturday. See yall there!
Go Jackets & THWg!
The FG attempt at the end of the half was damn near good. It would have been good from 50 yards. Then how does he miss a 30 yard kick badly. Must drive the coach crazy.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
My question is did anyone actually think our defense would be good after losing White, Thomas and Ace? They were by far the 3 best players on defense.

The defense really lack talent in the front 7. Any QB will tear a defense apart if he has all day to throw. Plumber really wasn’t very good tonight. That’s the scary part. A good AB will torch our defense.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
I hate these losses vs conference teams then next week we get to play SC State. Just an empty (what should be) win. Ugh.

King2b

Jolly Good Fellow
Signs of life on offense just need to be consistent for all four quarters. Both ol and dl need improvement.

We have talent offensively. Lot of the game reminded me of CPJ dive calls keeping the d honest. Just wish the counter was more successful. Also that alley run by Cooley was awesome. Loved the TE blocking