Louisville Post Game

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
Man, for 1 quarter buster looked like a genius, for the other 3, we looked horrendous. The runs up the A gap over and over for 1 yard or running into the back of our OL was painful to watch. OL/DL hasn’t changed too much since the last 3 years. Not getting pressure on DL and not driving anyone off the ball on the OL.

slugboy

Staff member
I watched a different game than some of you

Good things:
  • We improved a ton from last year. Our offense is actually good
  • We had some good players go out because of injuries, and we had enough depth to stay in the game
  • We have QBs that can throw
  • We held them to FGs in the red zone
Bad things
  • We went conservative in the second half, when we needed to get a TD and put the game away
  • Louisville kicked FGs and we couldn’t
  • Louisville has a disruptive front 6, and we missed way too many blocks.
The bolded part is really important. We needed to get some points in the third. That gave them confidence and tired us out. We were too conservative last year, and we better not do that this year.

We need to close games out, but this offense is much better than what we saw last year. It’s not close. We need to get pressure on defense.

What we need to see now is whether Louisville is really good or not—how tough a test was this?

IMG_0308.jpeg

MidtownJacket

Staff member
1) I am disheartened to see this thread start and have activity before the final whistle. That’s poor form.

2) The team didn’t quit and that’s a really good sign that times are achanging under CBK - that final drive to score was pretty. Yes, it was also maddening because it felt like we had been doing it at will with the edge plays in the 2nd Q and then abandoned it the whole 2nd half for a “must run up the middle to show the nation we can” without the result backing up the choice.

3) I’m heartened to have seen a new look on Offense - a few drops which hurt, but on the balance the ball moved better in the 2nd Q than we have seen in years. We need to focus film study this week on it and hope to replicate it across the whole game in week 3.

4) I’m thankful for the schedule having a soft spot in Week 2. We need a tune up/get right/reset game.

5) generally the D played well, but we had some costly slips/busted coverage moments. Hope we clean that up. The LB and CB spots have some work to do.

6) In Q1 I was worried about the OL, in Q2 I was ecstatic with them; when we played the second half I fell back to somewhere in the middle.

7) I am disappointed with the L. I think we had a good chance to win and unfortunately Louisville found a way to take it from us. That doesn’t minimize what we did, are, and can be.

Chin up Tech Nation. We have a chance for victory bourbon next week. Until then support the process, be patient and let’s all make plans to celebrate when our arrival is complete.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Very hopeful for this offense.
Jamal Haynes was a pleasant surprise and will be a big weapon out of the backfield.
King made some great throws, I hope the coaches trust him to throw it more, but that may be on the protection more than his arm. He double clutched a few and could have tucked sooner and made bigger gains, but I think as he gets more comfortable, he will have us moving. The fumble was a killer, but with time, his clock will get there. Just slide sooner kid, don’t get killed for a yard. Took some brutal, borderline personal foul hits for no reason.

Defense- I went into the season worried about the linebackers, and leave the game worried about our corners. I think we played soft trying to not get beat deep, but our tackling made that strategy moot,
Did not get home on a sack, but got our hands on him a couple times. That kid is a big QB so hopefully it’s on his strength vs our lack of DL. We will have to blitz more often, even if it means getting beat over the top.

ST- the first KR was just getting blown up, the second run out was dumb football. A few punts too close for comfort but none blocked. The missed FG changed the entire game, and put us in a bad spot. Still very possible that they drive it down and score and get two, but we have to make 35ish yard FG if we want to be a good team.

About where I thought we would be tbh. The magical second quarter is hopefully a preview of how we can look when we are clicking. Just keep getting better.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Watching at work, I was yelling to go for the throat and pass into the endzone at the end of the first half. The field goal attempt, while close, set it in my mind that we were not an aggressive team.
Lots of improvement from last year. If king doesn't fumble, I feel we win and all the conversations are 180° from where they are now.
Got to get it out of our system and punish SC St next Saturday. See yall there!
Go Jackets & THWg!

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Kiss any Charlotte aspirations goodbye on September 1st once again.

Has any program in FBS thrown away more points in the red zone than Georgia Tech over the last half decade? Between the missed chipshot field goals and failed 4th down conversions (because we don't trust our kicker to make a chipshot). So sick of throwing away those points.

GTOXAN2K11

Georgia Tech Fan
Outside of garbage time and a few QB scrambles, did we have a single run go for more than 1 yard in the 2H?
Couple got broken for a whole 2 yards. Very conservative play calling in 2nd half.

Hard to overcome a long drive on defense to start 3Q, then quick offensive drive for nothing, then another sustained drive for Louisville.

3Q and bad 2nd half play calling. Also poor tackling.

Feel better about team though. Collins wouldn’t have even attempted onside kick.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
I would love to know if Stewart has hit reliably from that distance in practice for the end-of-first-half FG attempt.

I didn’t like letting off the gas at the time vs trying to really drive a stake in them especially not without a track record of long kicks. Would’ve loved to go vertical or bust out something tricky.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I thought we played pretty well except the 2nd half defense. The blind side hit/fumble on King was the turning point. Otherwise we win the game.
I think the missed FG on the drive we needed to stop the bleeding was the end... but splitting hairs.

We didn’t do much right in the second half. I was worried in the second quarter that things came a little too easily. I thought we’d take our foot off the gas.

This is a teachable moment and growth opportunity. We can be the team we saw in the 2nd quarter. I am sure we are focused right now on not being the team we were in the second half.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I would love to know if Stewart has hit reliably from that distance in practice for the end-of-first-half FG attempt.

I didn’t like letting off the gas at the time vs trying to really drive a stake in them especially not without a track record of long kicks. Would’ve loved to go vertical or bust out something tricky.
I feel like that was a call you only make in a dome.
I don’t think a Hail Mary has any better chance and with the dome conditions, I’m good with that FG attempt.