Louisville at GT

• Highlight

Jackets Host Louisville Saturday

PG Jose Alvarado (groin) is one of three Tech players sidelined for Saturday’s match-up vs. Louisville

Georgia Tech returns home on Saturday afternoon for the first time in ten days for a showdown with one of the most surprising teams in the country, the Louisville Cardinals. The game tips at 4:00 pm and will be broadcast on ACCNE (Fox Sports South or watchESPN).

Coming into the year many, including myself, didn’t expect much from Louisville in Chris Mack’s inaugural season. Now halfway through the tilt, those misgivings seem to have been misplaced. While former five star recruit V.J. King has not developed into his “potential”, Louisville has been fortunate to see some of its other recruits grow up quickly and benefit from experienced grad transfers.

As mentioned, Louisville is led by former Xavier head coach Chris Mack. So far the Cardinals are 12-5, rank 22nd in Kenpom and own wins over Vermont, Michigan State, Seton Hall, Lipscomb and UNC in Chapel Hill in historic fashion.

Mack is well known for his successful time at Xavier where he is the all time winningest coach at 215 notches on the good side of the column. In nine seasons in Cincinnati, he led the Musketeers to eight tournament appearances and advanced to the sweet 16 or better five times, including the 2013-14 Final Four. Like his Xavier teams, Louisville will play up-tempo (top 15), they will get to the line (9th in free throws made) and they have lit up the scoreboard to the tune of 85 ppg in league play.

Like so many of his Xavier teams, Mack’s Louisville Cardinals feature a big, high scoring wing this year in sophomore Jordan Nwora. Nwora is averaging 18.1 points (5th in the league), 8.1 rebounds (6th in the league) and is also off a career game against Boston College in which he poured in 32 points. He has a “bull in the china shop” type game. While it isn’t always pretty, so far this season it has been very effective.

Other big time contributors are 6’5″ swing man Dwayne Sutton and former Southern point guard Christen Cunningham.  Sutton is Mr. Steady and may be the most deadly player on the roster outside of Nwora. Over his last 8 games he is averaging 12.8 points, 8 rebounds and 2.9 assists. Certainly not numbers that are going to blow you away, but when a play needs to be made, he’s more than likely going to be the one that makes it. Cunningham, a grad transfer, has been one of the few players in the country who’s been successful “transferring up”. While players like Joe Cremo and Matt Mooney have underwhelmed in power 6 play, Cunningham has become a leader for an ACC squad and has even played better in conference play, averaging 13.3 points, 5.8 assists and 3.3 rebounds through four games.

Kwhan Fore is another grad transfer who recently joined the starting lineup. The former Richmond Spider is an athletic guard who doesn’t score a ton but is one of the better defenders in the ACC. He would have likely matched against Jose Alvarado in this game and instead may be assigned to give Mike Devoe fits.

Former UConn big man Steven Enoch has come into his own this year after two disappointing seasons in Storrs. He is averaging 9 points and 5 boards off of the bench.

Malik Williams, a former five star recruit, has also come along lately. Over the course of his career (49 games) he averaged 5 points and 3.4 rebounds, but in ACC play this season he is averaging 10.3 points and 6 rebounds. He is getting better every game.

Then there is Ryan McMahon who will drill triples (37.4%) all day long if you forget about him. Darius Perry and King can also hurt you if they decide to play on any particular day.

Rattling all that off I can’t help but think: “Why did I predict these guys to finish 12th in the league this season?”

So, as you may have gathered, they have size, shooting, scoring, defense and coaching. They just beat North Carolina worse than anyone has in Chapel Hill since 2002.

The most interesting thing here is that Kenpom only favors the Cardinals by 2 while Haslametrics also favors them by a deuce. Clearly, the computers are starting to buy into the Georgia Tech defense. The one thing that Louisville doesn’t do particularly well is turn people over. They rank 299th in the country in opponents turnover percentage.

Unfortunately I don’t think this a great match-up for the Jackets, though sometimes Pastner pulls things out at home. Louisville is going to play man-to-man, which GT struggled against at Clemson, but the Cardinels won’t be as tenacious or get away with assault in McCamish. Louisville played a bit of zone against Boston College the other night and quickly went back to man.

I disagree with the metrics on this one. I just don’t know if we have the fire power the keep up. Tech is also a bit dinged up at the moment. If we keep it to single digits I would be really impressed.

Last edited:

tbglover

Ramblin' Wreck
Unfortunately expect this to be the case with the FSU game where the game is sold out cause the opposition has a big fan presence at the game.

GT_EE78

Banned
this is embarrassing for GT, am gonna skip second half to clear my head, then watch Duke/Va to try to remember what college basketball is supposed to look like.

GRGT96

Georgia Tech Fan
I would love to have a heart to heart conversation off the record with Pastner and hear how he thinks he can fix this. Losing your PG is hard, but these guys on the floor look completely lost and overwhelmed, This was a chance for Devoe to shine...and he looks lost and unwilling to take charge.

bos

Helluva Engineer
This team does not have ACC type talent. Shouldn't be this embarassing with just one starter out. Wow.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Ugly game, but kind of what I expected. I mean, name me 1 player who has played significant minutes for a full year of college basketball who played tonight. The only guys we have that can lay claim to this are Alston and AD who were both out tonight. We are building towards next year.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
1 starter being out shouldn't make us .... that.

Therein lies the problem for once we are "old".

But hey, no need to pile on. We were likely going to lose so who cares if it was by 1 or by 100. Only counts 1 in the L column.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I was really hoping Devoe and Haywood would take the challenge and step up today. Between the 2 of them they took 11 shots and scored 10 points. That isn't going to cut it. Devoe really needs to look for his shot and be a heck of a lot more aggressive. His D is more than adequate but he has to get his head right on O.

Overall Louisville is just tougher, stronger and a hell of lot more aggressive than we are. We looked like an AAU team playing up in age. We were outrebounded by 10 and it seemed like we were pushed off of any spot we wanted to keep.

As said above, really tough game but losing Jose shouldn't make it this bad. Lot of work to do.

slugboy

Staff member
1 starter being out shouldn't make us .... that.

Therein lies the problem for once we are "old".

But hey, no need to pile on. We were likely going to lose so who cares if it was by 1 or by 100. Only counts 1 in the L column.

AD and Alston are also out. One or the other is usually a starter, if not both.
Alston has been our best outside scorer, but Haywood has been growing into that role.
Anyway, we’re down 3 of our top 6 players, if not 3 of our top 5. Not that I’m justifying the last two games, but the losses are heavier than one player.
We could really use someone in addition to Jose who can thrive at point. Also, missing Alston means we’re even more dependent on slashing to the basket, and therefore more predictable and easier to defend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I was really hoping Devoe and Haywood would take the challenge and step up today. Between the 2 of them they took 11 shots and scored 10 points. That isn't going to cut it. Devoe really needs to look for his shot and be a heck of a lot more aggressive. His D is more than adequate but he has to get his head right on O.

Overall Louisville is just tougher, stronger and a hell of lot more aggressive than we are. We looked like an AAU team playing up in age. We were outrebounded by 10 and it seemed like we were pushed off of any spot we wanted to keep.

As said above, really tough game but losing Jose shouldn't make it this bad. Lot of work to do.
I don't really blame Devoe and Haywood for taking 11 shots and scoring 10 points. Have you seen the looks and opportunities they are given/making for themselves? From another perspective, you could just be glad they didn't take 20 shots and score 12 points. Devoe is certainly more guilty than any other member of our team in making the extra pass at times, but my point is that we don't really need them firing up contested 18 footers just so we can make a moral victory of "well at least they shot 20 field goals a piece today."

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Louisville beat UNC at UNC by 20+ so I am not surprised they whipped our a-- without José, Gueye, and Alston. Devoe is either not adjusting to the ACC yet or is not the scorer we were hoping for. Moore looked pretty good to me and needs more playing time.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
After the start I would have greatly preferred they take 20 shots - whatever the outcome. They are the 2 guys that have to provide points - percentage be damned quite honestly. What you and I both are saying is they cannot create their own shots which is a huge issue for them to be legit ACC scorers. I have in the past said CJP needs a couple of plays in his pocket he can call to force feed a shot or two to Devoe in particular - but I think we would both agree they need help to "get off". :cool:

Strategically, the problem with being OK those 2 only took 11 shots is we don't have anyone else that is going to score on the perimeter. They have to go after it with a scorers mentality - not just a worry about their percentage.