Louisville at GT

• Highlight

Jackets Host Louisville Saturday

PG Jose Alvarado (groin) is one of three Tech players sidelined for Saturday’s match-up vs. Louisville

Georgia Tech returns home on Saturday afternoon for the first time in ten days for a showdown with one of the most surprising teams in the country, the Louisville Cardinals. The game tips at 4:00 pm and will be broadcast on ACCNE (Fox Sports South or watchESPN).

Coming into the year many, including myself, didn’t expect much from Louisville in Chris Mack’s inaugural season. Now halfway through the tilt, those misgivings seem to have been misplaced. While former five star recruit V.J. King has not developed into his “potential”, Louisville has been fortunate to see some of its other recruits grow up quickly and benefit from experienced grad transfers.

As mentioned, Louisville is led by former Xavier head coach Chris Mack. So far the Cardinals are 12-5, rank 22nd in Kenpom and own wins over Vermont, Michigan State, Seton Hall, Lipscomb and UNC in Chapel Hill in historic fashion.

Mack is well known for his successful time at Xavier where he is the all time winningest coach at 215 notches on the good side of the column. In nine seasons in Cincinnati, he led the Musketeers to eight tournament appearances and advanced to the sweet 16 or better five times, including the 2013-14 Final Four. Like his Xavier teams, Louisville will play up-tempo (top 15), they will get to the line (9th in free throws made) and they have lit up the scoreboard to the tune of 85 ppg in league play.

Like so many of his Xavier teams, Mack’s Louisville Cardinals feature a big, high scoring wing this year in sophomore Jordan Nwora. Nwora is averaging 18.1 points (5th in the league), 8.1 rebounds (6th in the league) and is also off a career game against Boston College in which he poured in 32 points. He has a “bull in the china shop” type game. While it isn’t always pretty, so far this season it has been very effective.

Other big time contributors are 6’5″ swing man Dwayne Sutton and former Southern point guard Christen Cunningham.  Sutton is Mr. Steady and may be the most deadly player on the roster outside of Nwora. Over his last 8 games he is averaging 12.8 points, 8 rebounds and 2.9 assists. Certainly not numbers that are going to blow you away, but when a play needs to be made, he’s more than likely going to be the one that makes it. Cunningham, a grad transfer, has been one of the few players in the country who’s been successful “transferring up”. While players like Joe Cremo and Matt Mooney have underwhelmed in power 6 play, Cunningham has become a leader for an ACC squad and has even played better in conference play, averaging 13.3 points, 5.8 assists and 3.3 rebounds through four games.

Kwhan Fore is another grad transfer who recently joined the starting lineup. The former Richmond Spider is an athletic guard who doesn’t score a ton but is one of the better defenders in the ACC. He would have likely matched against Jose Alvarado in this game and instead may be assigned to give Mike Devoe fits.

Former UConn big man Steven Enoch has come into his own this year after two disappointing seasons in Storrs. He is averaging 9 points and 5 boards off of the bench.

Malik Williams, a former five star recruit, has also come along lately. Over the course of his career (49 games) he averaged 5 points and 3.4 rebounds, but in ACC play this season he is averaging 10.3 points and 6 rebounds. He is getting better every game.

Then there is Ryan McMahon who will drill triples (37.4%) all day long if you forget about him. Darius Perry and King can also hurt you if they decide to play on any particular day.

Rattling all that off I can’t help but think: “Why did I predict these guys to finish 12th in the league this season?”

So, as you may have gathered, they have size, shooting, scoring, defense and coaching. They just beat North Carolina worse than anyone has in Chapel Hill since 2002.

The most interesting thing here is that Kenpom only favors the Cardinals by 2 while Haslametrics also favors them by a deuce. Clearly, the computers are starting to buy into the Georgia Tech defense. The one thing that Louisville doesn’t do particularly well is turn people over. They rank 299th in the country in opponents turnover percentage.

Unfortunately I don’t think this a great match-up for the Jackets, though sometimes Pastner pulls things out at home. Louisville is going to play man-to-man, which GT struggled against at Clemson, but the Cardinels won’t be as tenacious or get away with assault in McCamish. Louisville played a bit of zone against Boston College the other night and quickly went back to man.

I disagree with the metrics on this one. I just don’t know if we have the fire power the keep up. Tech is also a bit dinged up at the moment. If we keep it to single digits I would be really impressed.

Last edited:

Jazzchaz

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm curious about a lineup of Banks with Ogbonda, Devoe, Moore, and Haywood. What do you think? At some point in the game, Phillips will have to bring the ball up the floor. He's the guy that really has to step up. It will be interesting to see if Haywood finally takes charge.

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm curious about a lineup of Banks with Ogbonda, Devoe, Moore, and Haywood. What do you think? At some point in the game, Phillips will have to bring the ball up the floor. He's the guy that really has to step up. It will be interesting to see if Haywood finally takes charge.

I don't think there is enough ball handling with that group. May need to substitute Phillips for Moore. Who knows, we may have a Malichi Rice appearance if the guards get in foul trouble.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
No Jose
No Win

Devoe is going to have to step up huge for us to have any shot - he will be the primary ball handler and we need 18 pts/5 dimes from him.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
Im not sure about vess & banks together. I think Devoe, Phillips, Moore, Banks, & CGB mostly. I would hope to see ves in a good bit to spell Banks unless we need both defensively. Moses & Cole off the bench.

Doesn't sound promising with Jose out. Is Tech bb cursed?

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
Pastner needs to figure out a couple of lineups that can generate points. I don't think we can run 4 out unless Cole is the stretch 4. So when Cole isn't in the game we should stick to 3 out, 2 in. Let Wright play some low post since he can't make anything outside of 12 feet. He has some decent moves down there.

Banks is okay in the high post. He doesn't shoot from up there and has some passing ability. He can set some screens also to try to get the outside guys to free up. We don't have anyone who can create off of the dribble so screens and cuts are about all we can do.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Please, no Moses on the perimeter.

I would like to see some 2 big line-ups; Banks/Wright or Banks/Obganda.

I don't expect CGB (why do we call him that again?) to step up and lead the team. That's not to say he can't have a big game; it's just that if he does it will probably be off getting hot shooting 3's and maybe also getting a few points from the free throw line. I think he is basically a spot up shooter, and at this point I don't expect to see him taking over a game creating off the dribble. That being said, if he goes off for 20 points, I don't care how he gets them.

Devoe as the primary ball handler is not a problem. He has already been playing this roll for a while. Jose has typically been deferring to Devoe to bring the ball up the court for a while now. And frankly, Devoe is the best ball handler on the team. Where he has room to step up, aside from improving his 3 point percentage, is penetrating and scoring off the dribble. He can get into the lane easily, but so far he is not a strong finisher around the rim. I don't think he has the athleticism to play and finish above the rim. If he could develop a good runner or floater from 8-10 feet, he could be deadly, and wouldn't be as limited by his lack of "ups" at the rim.

I think Phillips has a lot to offer that he has not been able to show for whatever reason. Unlike the other guards on the team, he does have above the rim athleticism. He dunks with authority in warm-ups. I would love to see him get some time in this game and step up big time. Probably won't happen, but I think he has it in him.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
New Article Posted
Jackets Host Louisville Saturday

PG Jose Alvarado (groin) is one of three Tech players sidelined for Saturday’s match-up vs. Louisville Georgia Tech returns home on Saturday afternoon for the first time in ten days for a showdown with one of the most surprising teams in the country, the Louisville Cardinals. The game tips at 4:00 pm and will be broadcast on ACCNE (Fox Sports South or watchESPN). Coming into the year many, including myself, didn’t expect much from Louisville in Chris Mack’s inaugural season. ...

Click here to read more ...
Last edited:

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It is games/situations like this where guys come of age. There’s no better time for someone like Devoe or Khalid to bust out and have a huge game.

We’re really going to need a big game from Big James and some smothering defense. It wouldn’t hurt for the team to F around and shoot 40+% from deep either.

The line is only -3.5 with us missing two of our primary offensive options and a key reserve...what would it have been if we were 100%

Jazzchaz

Jolly Good Fellow
Whoops, didn’t realize Alvarado was out....
He had to lean
I don't think there is enough ball handling with that group. May need to substitute Phillips for Moore. Who knows, we may have a Malichi Rice appearance if the guards get in foul trouble.
That's way I brought this up for discussion. Haywood played point when Alvarado went down last year. Per minutes played, total rebounds are about equal(Phillips has no offensive), Phillips has more turnovers, Haywood has a lot more assists and steals. Phillips picks up more(IMO) unnecessary fouls.

Jazzchaz

Jolly Good Fellow
It might be wishful thinking on my part, but for a while it looked like we had something with Banks and Gueye playing together against Syracuse.....so I was hoping perhaps Ogbonda could fill the role of Gueye with both on the floor. Wright and Cole are always wild cards.....except Wright doing anything outside 15 feet is not a wild card at all!

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Without Alvarado’s leadership in the 1-3-1 I am really concerned about Sutton in that short corner. I was actually surprised his numbers were that low, he is a heck of a player. I think he is about to have a big day