Louisville - ACC Weekend #2

THWG

Helluva Engineer
As thrilled as I am to win again today and be 5-1, am I the only person who is seriously concerned about how we pitched this weekend? We gave up 11, 6 and 9 runs! Our offense saved us, but we all know that in baseball, good pitching always beats good hitting (over the course of a season).

I wasn't impressed with our pitching and I was seriously not impressed with Louisville's staff. Their staff ERA is up to 4.36 after this weekend....
I'm not overly concerned. Archer was fantastic and I'm willing to bet that Hurter doesn't have another start like that the rest of the year. Also, Crawford pitched better than his final line today and has been solid in all 3 starts. We don't have anyone who is a shutdown reliever, but we do have 5 guys that I trust to get outs when we need them and that's all that matters.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I'm not overly concerned. Archer was fantastic and I'm willing to bet that Hurter doesn't have another start like that the rest of the year. Also, Crawford pitched better than his final line today and has been solid in all 3 starts. We don't have anyone who is a shutdown reliever, but we do have 5 guys that I trust to get outs when we need them and that's all that matters.
Agree... plus how you manage pitchers & how you approach hitters with a large lead is different. Once we took a 2 run lead in 3rd today... Louisville never got closer than that.

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
As thrilled as I am to win again today and be 5-1, am I the only person who is seriously concerned about how we pitched this weekend? We gave up 11, 6 and 9 runs! Our offense saved us, but we all know that in baseball, good pitching always beats good hitting (over the course of a season).

I wasn't impressed with our pitching and I was seriously not impressed with Louisville's staff. Their staff ERA is up to 4.36 after this weekend....
I think to a certain extent, when you're up by as many as we were (especially Saturday) you're likely to leave a pitcher in a bit longer. Let him take his lumps, scratch some outs, and save the pen. It starts to ding the stat line a bit.

CDH would have had a quicker hook were it a one run game.

Deleted member 2897

Plus a top 5 team should score several runs against you.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
For all you rankophiles, #7 by D1 https://d1baseball.com/rankings/d1baseball-top-25-yellow-jackets-make-their-move/

L"Ville to #10. Miami #8.

Just win.

I realized why I was tired after yesterday's heavy weight fight; L'Ville threw 184 pitches in 8 innings and we threw 163 in nine innings (96 strikes = 59%).

This deserves a longer answer. But I am concerned about our pitching too. But we need to look at individuals since some did well and some didn't. More later in week when I get a chance to pull stats together.

Bottom line is that I trust DBo to make these guys better.

Shameless shilling here, check out https://my.ifoliocorp.com/GeorgiaTechBaseball.html to support the team. Matt Lanier (404-385-4407) at GTAA is very helpful.

Last edited:

randerto

Jolly Good Fellow

Not too much concern for reasons others pointed out (ie game/pitcher mgmt). My primary concerns were Maxwell and Bartnicki not being as "clean" as they would have liked in game three. They got 'er done which all that matters for now but would like to see Maxwell get better command of his offspeed pitch (he'll be lights-out if he does). He's entertaining to watch the power though eh! They will both benefit from more mound time as the season evolves as they haven't pitched much this past week.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Not too much concern for reasons others pointed out (ie game/pitcher mgmt). My primary concerns were Maxwell and Bartnicki not being as "clean" as they would have liked in game three. They got 'er done which all that matters for now but would like to see Maxwell get better command of his offspeed pitch (he'll be lights-out if he does). He's entertaining to watch the power though eh! They will both benefit from more mound time as the season evolves as they haven't pitched much this past week.
I do agree that our #2 and #3 starters pitched well....Louisville did hit them a bit, but both really pitched (as opposed to just threw) and worked their way through the game. Hurter at #1 disappointed and I really REALLY hope that was an anomaly.

Mostly though, my concerns were with the bullpen. Down the road, I expect we'll have to win some games 4-3, and will need a lock-down efforts out of the 'pen. We need a couple of guys we can count on out there to throw up zeros.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
He was upset and talking s*** every time he came to the dugout. Head case...
I know two books that were written just for a young man like that...no, not Mein Kampf silly, Dale Carnegie's "How to Win Friends and Influence People" or "I'm OK, You're OK" by psychologist Thomas Harris which is about transactional analysis but for him we can shorten the analysis to... he's a head case.
He was upset and talking s*** every time he came to the dugout. Head case...