Louisville - ACC Weekend #2

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Ok.. here comes Louisville. They are 6-2... having lost to some lessor teams. This will be their first ACC series as their schedule will be 12 straight conference weekends the rest of the way.

Not making any predictions after what we've seen so far this year. We followed up a nearly perfect weekend on the road at NCST by laying one of the largest eggs I've seen this team produce in quite a long time last night v Ga State. Head scratcher.

One of the great things about baseball is there is usually a 'next game' that comes quickly. This series is an BIG opportunity to put an outstanding start together to conference play. If you look at the standings right now... things are very much upside down. So... IF you think the preseason prognosticating was mostly accurate, Ga Tech is in a great spot. Of the top 4 predicted finishers by D1 in the Coastal, Ga Tech is 3-0 and the other 3 are all 1-2. So... already a 2 game advantage over those teams.

GO JACKETS!!!

Deleted member 2897

Ok.. here comes Louisville. They are 6-2... having lost to some lessor teams. This will be their first ACC series as their schedule will be 12 straight conference weekends the rest of the way.

Not making any predictions after what we've seen so far this year. We followed up a nearly perfect weekend on the road at NCST by laying one of the largest eggs I've seen this team produce in quite a long time last night v Ga State. Head scratcher.

One of the great things about baseball is there is usually a 'next game' that comes quickly. This series is an BIG opportunity to put an outstanding start together to conference play. If you look at the standings right now... things are very much upside down. So... IF you think the preseason prognosticating was mostly accurate, Ga Tech is in a great spot. Of the top 4 predicted finishers by D1 in the Coastal, Ga Tech is 3-0 and the other 3 are all 1-2. So... already a 2 game advantage over those teams.

GO JACKETS!!!

This will be one of several series where we (on this board) probably walk in saying 2-1 is the goal. Its just hard to sweep anybody. We're 2-2 against lesser competition so far this year. Hopefully yesterday was a wake up call where you have to bring the energy every game. Georgia State was fired up and on point. We all looked like we needed Low-T medicine.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'll guarantee that we win between 0 and 3 games. Still in shock from yesterday even though I've flushed it (still working on numbing the renegade brain cells with alcohol) and won't look at stats. But as you say, at least there is a short period till the next game.

At least it looks like great weather the entire weekend.

Any word on whether DBo will be back tomorrow? I heard on the broadcast he wasn't there last night. And that makes sense since the pitchers weren't checking their wrist sheets that I noticed.

D1 should give a prediction later today or tomorrow and I'll pass on if others don't. But they have no clue either.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@D1 4 of 9 pick us to win the series. https://d1baseball.com/top-stories/d1baseball-staff-pickem-week-three-3/

Also in chat, Aaron Fitt said this about us - but he picked L'Ville this weekend. Maybe since he looked at the Ga State debacle.
1614950474418.png

Finally, Tres' catch over the fence came in second in D1's top 10 last week. https://d1baseball.com/video/d1baseballs-top-10-plays-week-2/

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
UL board says theyre pitching Kirian, Elliott, and Smith this weekend. Apparently one of their weekend guys (Albanese) has been out for covid-related reasons. And theyre not thrilled about their rotation. Kind of telling how spoiled they have been with their staffs that they are griping about guys with the following stat lines (granted they've played nobody so far).

- Kirian: 1-0, 0.00 ERA, 5.0 IP, 3H, 2BB, 4K
- Elliott: 1-0, 0.00 ERA, 8.0 IP, 3H, 3BB, 10K
- Smith: 2-0, 2.00 ERA, 9.0 IP, 6H, 5BB, 8K

GT1988

Jolly Good Fellow
Down 0 - 5 in top of 2nd with two outs, bases loaded. 2 batters hit by pitch in a row and 4 or 5 walks. Yikes.

Edit: Make that 0 - 6 with a runner walked in.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Disaster on the mound. The pitching bug of wildness is just killing us. I thought this would be over with the ballyhooed new pitching coach.
Nope....this week, same old GT pitching!!!

yuck

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
But at least there is no need to watch the rest of the game...

Nope. I'm done too.

Remember Charlie Brown and Lucy? No reason to talk about where we should be ranked this week. That's why I always say just win and that will take care of things.

Our pitching will get a lot better under DBo. L'Ville got a lot of breaks as well as a very good plate approach. Us, not so much at the plate. 1 hit in 3 innings won't get it done.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
That 2nd inning play epitomized the game. L'Ville makes a baserunning mistake and we get the guy in a rundown but he smacks (probably unintentionally) Wilhite in the face. Runner safe on second, no outs. Wilhite is lost indefinitely. L'Ville goes on to score 5 in the inning. There was a SO after the pickoff so it maybe if ..........

Regardless, L'Ville was totally dominant. Pitching better, hitting better (11 LOB & 13 runs) and fielding. Hall and Holland with errors.

We need to win today to regain some semblance of dignity. We have a young team and they have to find their identity. How much grit does our team have? We mounted a futile attack in the late innings but didn't give up. Hit into a DP with bases loaded. Oh well.

We have lots of talent. But Miami arguably has more and is 3-4 after getting beat by the team we swept last weekend.

So it's baseball.