Loudspeaker Volume at Bobby Dodd

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
The music volume at Bobby Dodd is so loud as to actually hurt your ears. Even with my hearing loss at my age the volume is off the charts. The announcers and band guy get in on the loudness too. Maybe the
emptyness of the stadium is part of the issue. I am in the north stands with a lot of empty seats. Some of the ground antics during the commercials also gives us a blast of noise which is very irratating. I won't even complain about the music if they will just turn down the volume some.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
I thought so too, but I do believe there's isn't a "volume" knob so to speak, but rather a "gameday" volume. More folks in the stadium absorb more sound waves making the same volume harder to hear.

roedeo

Jolly Good Fellow
Bro, sorry for your situation.

If you’ve been around for any time, wait till the athens school shows up at the last game. They have a massive band who basically plays nonstop, so in response the tech band plays nonstop. Add to the large crowd of red and it will be orders of magnitude louder. Bring your plugs.

I’ve been to games in athens, a few tech wins 👍, and there are fixed loudspeakers on stands in front of each section, piped loud band music nonstop. Obnoxious. I look forward to when we reciprocate and add them to the SE corner of the stands.

AKABuzz

Georgia Tech Fan
We are in UE stands, close to the visitors section. I agree that the volume of the speakers seemed too loud, except when it mattered. The announcements about the weather were garbled. When we went to the concourse of the UE, we couldn’t hear much less understand the weather and game restart plan. There doesn’t appear to be any speakers in the concourse or restrooms, where some were waiting out the storm.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
It's possible that the volume is set for the music/announcers to be heard over 50,000 screaming fans. When we don’t have 50,000 screaming fans, it's going to sound very loud. Also, to your point about emptiness, the volume will be significantly louder without the bodies of 50,000 fans to absorb much of it. Not to mention the lack of bodies means the sound will be reflecting off hard surfaces making it louder. Two solutions – lower the volume, or get more fans in the seats.

AKABuzz

Georgia Tech Fan
We are in UE stands, close to the visitors section. I agree that the volume of the speakers seemed too loud, except when it mattered. The announcements about the weather were garbled. When we went to the concourse of the UE, we couldn’t hear much less understand the weather and game restart plan. There doesn’t appear to be any speakers in the concourse or restrooms, where some were waiting out the storm.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
1694472900430.gif

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
It's possible that the volume is set for the music/announcers to be heard over 50,000 screaming fans. When we don’t have 50,000 screaming fans, it's going to sound very loud. Also, to your point about emptiness, the volume will be significantly louder without the bodies of 50,000 fans to absorb much of it. Not to mention the lack of bodies means the sound will be reflecting off hard surfaces making it louder. Two solutions – lower the volume, or get more fans in the seats.
Or turn the canned stuff off and crank up the band.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I was uneasily reminded of the last time I heard the speakers this loud at Tech. It was a "feature" of B*** L****'s time at the Flats. Let's just hope that it goes the way of the "Juice Box".

Soon.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
It wasn't just that it was loud, the EQ was also very bad. No low frequencies, don't know about upper frequencies, but the mid levels were extremely loud.

I don't know if it is a physical problem with the speakers, EQ settings on the equipment, or both. You would think that an engineering school in the middle of an entertainment city could manage to make a sound system sound good.

inknerd

Georgia Tech Fan
Are we really just running gameday with no soundcheck? Surely in a school full of hyper technical people we can find someone who understands audio compression and limiting. Lemme get some free tickets and access to the board.

T-Bone Burdell

Georgia Tech Fan
It wasn't just that it was loud, the EQ was also very bad. No low frequencies, don't know about upper frequencies, but the mid levels were extremely loud.

I don't know if it is a physical problem with the speakers, EQ settings on the equipment, or both. You would think that an engineering school in the middle of an entertainment city could manage to make a sound system sound good.

Exactly. I do think it was also too loud in general, but a big problem was the speakers are very "spikey" for lack of a better term.

If they're going to attempt those volumes, then they need a better sound system. It would actually be more tolerable at the same volume.

DaDodd

Jolly Good Fellow
Exactly. I do think it was also too loud in general, but a big problem was the speakers are very "spikey" for lack of a better term.

If they're going to attempt those volumes, then they need a better sound system. It would actually be more tolerable at the same volume.
Agreed. Its actually quite embarrassing that an institute of technology has such a poor stadium sound system, and a total A/V system at that. We should have the best sound and video system in the country. Heck we have a whole department for it. Sound Science and Engineering (SSE) https://cacp.gatech.edu/SSE

Why can we not get this right. Over the years we have had microphone issues, speaker issues, video board issues, led light issues show issues. Issues that no other FBS program has had to the extent that we have had. I think the people running the stadium production must be students are not very competent. That would explain the Vanessa Carlton incident during the UVA game a couple of years ago. It's like they are not engaged with the game and feed off the energy of the stadium. About 10 to 15 years ago they did a decent job. The music should pump up the players and the fans during the game if the band is not playing. The band should be the main music source and the music should have an intimidating tone, especially when Tech's defense is on the field. 3rd down F tuning should stay forever.

And don't get me started on the Tech's awful new short sleeved band uniforms they got a few years back. They look like cheap DCI band uniforms when Tech isn't a DCI band. The old band uniforms were traditional and looked great.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Agreed. Its actually quite embarrassing that an institute of technology has such a poor stadium sound system, and a total A/V system at that. We should have the best sound and video system in the country. Heck we have a whole department for it. Sound Science and Engineering (SSE) https://cacp.gatech.edu/SSE

Why can we not get this right. Over the years we have had microphone issues, speaker issues, video board issues, led light issues show issues. Issues that no other FBS program has had to the extent that we have had. I think the people running the stadium production must be students are not very competent. That would explain the Vanessa Carlton incident during the UVA game a couple of years ago. It's like they are not engaged with the game and feed off the energy of the stadium. About 10 to 15 years ago they did a decent job. The music should pump up the players and the fans during the game if the band is not playing. The band should be the main music source and the music should have an intimidating tone, especially when Tech's defense is on the field. 3rd down F tuning should stay forever.

And don't get me started on the Tech's awful new short sleeved band uniforms they got a few years back. They look like cheap DCI band uniforms when Tech isn't a DCI band. The old band uniforms were traditional and looked great.
Mention of GT’s technical resources in this area got me thinking. Back in the 1970s (I think), Tech got Physics Prof. Patronis involved to improve the sound system at games. He was well respected within the industry and consulted with a number of well-known sound reinforcement brands. If I’m remembering correctly, he developed a time-delay apparatus to improve the intelligibility of the PA at Bobby Dodd; it was written up in the Alumni magazine at the time. https://www.soundandcommunications....e-t-patronis-jr-mentor-to-the-audio-industry/

We have some history with notable professors in this industry, including Dr. Marshall Leach (RIP). So y’all are correct in that there really is no excuse to have issues with the sound system. However, I suspect that the problem is really quite simple, and it’s unlikely that we need an engineering solution. What’s more likely is that the PA is being delegated to someone incompetent, or at a minimum insensitive to what their audience needs. I’m going to send an email to Batt, and see if I get a response on this topic. I encourage anyone who has had unpleasant experiences with the sound to do the same.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Why can we not get this right. Over the years we have had microphone issues, speaker issues, video board issues, led light issues show issues. Issues that no other FBS program has had to the extent that we have had.
How would you know that?

CEB

Helluva Engineer
How would you know that?
It’s all about the feels man!
This is an emotional response that I think is becoming all too common.

Its bad = it bothers me and it should stop immediately because NOBODY else has to deal with it, why should I?

Its good = sure its nice, but its not a big deal and EVERYONE else has the same, if not better, experience.

Not picking on you @DaDodd… it has almost become a figure of speech it is so common. My wife does it all the time too… but I’ve learned not to point it out to her so I will pick on you instead.:D