Loudspeaker Volume at Bobby Dodd

eetech

Jolly Good Fellow
About a decade ago when the AV system was upgraded, I distinctly remember that the first few games the sound was also uncomfortably loud. However, they adjusted it and it was great the rest of the season.

However, now, not only does it seem to be back the uncomfortable loudness of those early days, it also sounds worse. It could be because of the lack of bodies in the stands or maybe because something in the PA system is wearing down over the past several years but there is clearly something off.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
They updated the system back in 2021. It can't go bad that quick.
Speakers can get busted. EQ settings can get messed up. Speaker timing and coordination can get messed up. Cables can be unplugged. Electronic components can fail. Electronic components can have their settings incorrectly adjusted. Failed electronic components can be replaced with default settings.

You should be correct that the entire system can't be worthless after 2 years. However, there could be individual components that go bad and have a large impact on the sound if not replaced or re-adjusted correctly. The sound last Saturday was pitiful.

I don't really know, but my guess would be that the only thing I could hear was between 800Hz and 3kHz. I didn't hear the detail of the upper frequencies, but that is hard to say for certain. I am certain that I didn't hear anything below about 220Hz. There was zero bass sound coming from the speakers. I think I said this before: If the sound is properly set up, much louder volumes are still not unpleasant. If the EQ of the system is set properly, and the timing among the speakers is set properly, an even louder sound level will not be as piercing as the way it was last week.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
As a ST holder, yesterday I got another one of those “tell us how your experience was, but we’re never going to do anything about it “ surveys and I mentioned how the volume was uncomfortably loud. Perhaps if enough people called the ticket office and complained something might be done.
I have made the same comment on each survey I complete about the game experience. The decimal level is ridiculously high. When you can plug your ears and still easily hear it without any difficulty, the volume is just flat out way to loud.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I know my Apple Watch was sending me alerts that the decibel level was over 90 decibels…
I should have used the decibel reading app on my phone. I am not surprised it was over 90 decibels. And that was not crowd noise, screaming and yelling, that's just purely from the speaker system.

GTG768B

Jolly Good Fellow
To piggyback on the occasional periods of just playing nothing idea, we used to have yellow!... jackets! cheers that would start up in such pauses. We haven't had one of those start organically in ages (and the stupid canned ones led by the video board don't count).

If we are going to play music, we should make sure it doesn't sound like crap. There were several times during the SC State game when the songs sounded like they skipped and restarted. I was actually curious if the athletic association had the dude who DJ'd the helluva block party guest DJ for the PA for the game. They also started songs before the band had finished playing several times. It really gives the impression that we don't have our **** together for the game day experience.