Looks Like Everything Worked Out

Techster

Helluva Engineer
GT is headed to the ACCCG under JeT, and possibly an Orange Bowl birth.

Vad Lee and JMU are headed to the FCS playoffs as one of the hottest teams on that level, and he's breaking records left and right for them.

http://footballscoop.com/news/fcs-playoff-brackets-announced-2/

Vad is getting rave reviews for his first year at JMU and is a Walter Payton finalist http://www.thetimesnews.com/sports/elon-sports/lee-makes-final-task-tougher-for-elon-1.404603 ), and JeT's importance is being compared to Jameis Winston's importance to FSU.

Win-Win all around.

Animal02

Banned
unless he transfers to duke....
Since he has already used his "one time tranfer" he would have to graduate to do that...and even then there are restrictions

"The graduate transfer waiver is now typically used by athletes who have previous transferred once before and so cannot use the one-time transfer exception (even as a graduate student).
A letter from the previous school saying it does not object to the student-athlete being eligible;
Documentation that the student-athlete has been accepted into a specific graduate degree program;
Documentation about whether that degree program is offered by the previous school;
A student-athlete statement including the reasons for the transfer; and
A statement from the previous institution about the student-athlete’s status on the team.
Generally the heart of the waiver is the three middle bullets. The NCAA wants to see that the student-athlete transferred in order to continue his or her academic career by pursuing a graduate degree not offered at the previous school."

http://www.athleticscholarships.net/ncaa-transfer-exceptions.htm

Nixon_Corral

Georgia Tech Fan
Not gonna pretend I wasn't a little upset that Vad left us, but I'm glad it's working out for everybody. When I first heard, I thought he was just a quitter, but he seems like a good guy that really knew this wasn't the place for him. Congrats to Vad on his success, and of course, congrats to JT on stepping up and taking us places!

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
Not gonna pretend I wasn't a little upset that Vad left us, but I'm glad it's working out for everybody. When I first heard, I thought he was just a quitter, but he seems like a good guy that really knew this wasn't the place for him. Congrats to Vad on his success, and of course, congrats to JT on stepping up and taking us places!
Really? I was ready to permanently bench Vad halfway through 2013.

johncu

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm happy for him. Seemed like a legitimately good guy who just realized that the system wasn't the best option for him, nor was he the best option for the system (puns intended). As long as he doesn't go to Duke, I'll wish him well.

Since he has already used his "one time tranfer" he would have to graduate to do that...and even then there are restrictions

"The graduate transfer waiver is now typically used by athletes who have previous transferred once before and so cannot use the one-time transfer exception (even as a graduate student).
A letter from the previous school saying it does not object to the student-athlete being eligible;
Documentation that the student-athlete has been accepted into a specific graduate degree program;
Documentation about whether that degree program is offered by the previous school;
A student-athlete statement including the reasons for the transfer; and
A statement from the previous institution about the student-athlete’s status on the team.
Generally the heart of the waiver is the three middle bullets. The NCAA wants to see that the student-athlete transferred in order to continue his or her academic career by pursuing a graduate degree not offered at the previous school."

http://www.athleticscholarships.net/ncaa-transfer-exceptions.htm

Does that apply since he transferred down to a lower division? Can he not now transfer back up to division 1? Just asking.

Animal02

Banned
Does that apply since he transferred down to a lower division? Can he not now transfer back up to division 1? Just asking.
No.....you are allowed one transfer.....that you do not have to sit out a year.

The one-time transfer exception is the most commonly used exception for transfers from one four-year college to another, especially if the transfer involves two colleges in NCAA Division I or II.

• If transferring to a Division I school, the athlete must play a sport other than football, men’s or women’s basketball, or baseball. The exception is that an athlete can transfers to a Football Championship Subdivision (FCS or I-AA) school and use this exception provided he or she has at least two seasons of competition remaining. In Division II, any sport may use the one-time transfer exception.
  • The athlete must not have previously transferred from another four-year school.
  • At the time of the transfer, the athlete would have been academically eligible at the previous school; and
  • If transferring from an NCAA or NAIA school, the athlete’s previous school states in writing that they have no objection to the athlete using the one-time transfer exception.

While the one-time transfer exception is the most commonly used, it is technically the last resort. If a student-athlete can find another transfer exception to use, it is generally better since they have fewer requirements and sometime make the transfer not count if the student-athlete needs to transfer again.

No.....you are allowed one transfer.....that you do not have to sit out a year.

The one-time transfer exception is the most commonly used exception for transfers from one four-year college to another, especially if the transfer involves two colleges in NCAA Division I or II.

• If transferring to a Division I school, the athlete must play a sport other than football, men’s or women’s basketball, or baseball. The exception is that an athlete can transfers to a Football Championship Subdivision (FCS or I-AA) school and use this exception provided he or she has at least two seasons of competition remaining. In Division II, any sport may use the one-time transfer exception.
  • The athlete must not have previously transferred from another four-year school.
  • At the time of the transfer, the athlete would have been academically eligible at the previous school; and
  • If transferring from an NCAA or NAIA school, the athlete’s previous school states in writing that they have no objection to the athlete using the one-time transfer exception.

While the one-time transfer exception is the most commonly used, it is technically the last resort. If a student-athlete can find another transfer exception to use, it is generally better since they have fewer requirements and sometime make the transfer not count if the student-athlete needs to transfer again.
Are Junior Colleges different then? Whitehead transferred from NC State to GMC, and now he's transferred to Tech. The only reason he had to sit out this year was because of not completing his required courses.

Animal02

Banned
Are Junior Colleges different then? Whitehead transferred from NC State to GMC, and now he's transferred to Tech. The only reason he had to sit out this year was because of not completing his required courses.

For a 4-2-4 transfer.......for a "qualifier" (qualified being determined by the eligibility from NCAA)

- Complete an average of 12-semester or 12-quarter transferable-degree credit hours for each term of full-time attendance?**
- Earn a GPA of 2.000 in those transferable credit hours?
- Graduate from the two-year school AND have one-calendar year elapse since you left your previous four-year school?

If Yes to all:
-You can practice.
-You can receive athletically related financial aid.
-You can play right away during the first year after you transfer.*+

If No to any:
-You can practice.
-You can practice.
-You cannot play until you complete one full academic year of residence.*

For a "non qualifier"

-Complete an average of 12-semester or 12-quarter transferable-degree credit hours for each term of full-time attendance?**
-Earn a GPA of 2.000 in those transferable credit hours?
-Graduate from the two-year school AND have one-calendar year elapse since you left your previous four-year school?

If Yes to all:
-You can practice.
If No to any:
-You can practice if you have completed one academic year in all your colleges combined.
-You can receive athletically related financial aid if you completed one academic term at the two-year school.
-You cannot play until you complete one full academic year of residence.*

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
OK. That makes sense, I guess. Although a junior college degree is not the same as a degree from a 4-year.
He did not graduate from GMC with any degree. When he left NC State he had to sit out 2 years before he could go to an ACC team. He sat out a year at GMC and tried to take an enormous load to attempt to get his associates degree in one calendar year. It was "possible" to do that but he couldn't quite get it done. If he had then he would have graduated with a degree and been immedialelty eligible to play at Tech. But since he did not complete that degree he has to finish his 2-years sitting out before transferring to an ACC school this year at Tech.

CobbTech

Jolly Good Fellow
Good for him. Vad seems like a good guy. He was more interested in doing his thing than winning at GT and that is fine. He is a great FCS player. It worked out for him and we now have a much better QB. The OP is right. Win for everyone involved.

He did not graduate from GMC with any degree. When he left NC State he had to sit out 2 years before he could go to an ACC team. He sat out a year at GMC and tried to take an enormous load to attempt to get his associates degree in one calendar year. It was "possible" to do that but he couldn't quite get it done. If he had then he would have graduated with a degree and been immedialelty eligible to play at Tech. But since he did not complete that degree he has to finish his 2-years sitting out before transferring to an ACC school this year at Tech.
Thanks. That pretty much clears it up for me.