Looking into Tech's FB Future (FTRS)

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I don't know the guy who wrote the article but his credibility went out the window with me when he listed Brian Bohannon as a potential top candidate to replace Paul Johnson. There will never be a former Georgia Bulldawg hired to be the head coach at Georgia Tech. Ted Roof is the next in line unless Johnson decides to Coach another 10 years. I know a lot of you won't like that but that is the most likely scenario.

Go Jackets!
Surely we can generate some excitement on defense in the coming year. If so this is going to be a great ride, with a chance to be good for a long time.

1939hotmagic

Jolly Good Fellow
Since we're all spitballing here, here are a couple of other guys who could be a potential HC whenever CPJ steps down: Ivin Jasper, current OC at Navy, longtime CPJ staffer beforehand; more than a few folks have wondered why some struggling FBS program hasn't taken Jasper as a HC. If some such program does in the next few years, and Jasper makes a poor program competitive while he cuts his teeth as a HC, he would be a worthy candidate to take over after the CPJ era. And here's another overlooked choice: Brent Thompson, current HC at The Citadel. He's not of the CPJ coaching tree, but -- he was a successful OC at Lenoir-Rhyne, and then at The Citadel for two seasons before being bumped up to HC for the 2016 season, a season in which the Bulldogs went 10-2. They run an option-heavy, QB-under-center offense, and occasionally do so running out of a T-bone formation -- T formation backfield, but with WRs instead of TEs (akin to Tech).

Re Jasper: http://www.capitalgazette.com/sport...-jasper-navy-offense-1130-20161129-story.html

Re Thompson: http://citadelsports.com/staff.aspx?staff=5

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
IF that were to happen then the first thing to do would be to fire the AD that abdicated their responsibility.

Next, hiring a HC based on what O system they run is insane. Their are several other factors more important. One of the most important being D - where championships and programs are built.

Another big mistake most schools make is hiring someone because they, perhaps decades before, were associated with the school. Sadly we have done this at least 5 times.

And college football is, every year, dominated by the "latest & greatest." There is no way on earth to tell, even 2 years from now, who that person might be.

If hiring a HC based on what O system he runs is insane, then why did so many teams pass on Paul Johnson and the TO given his record at Navy and GSU? My point was that if CPJ wins an ACC and even comes close on a National Championship with the TO, then the fan base is going to puke on any coach that tries to install a different offense. Any halfway intelligent AD better keep that in mind when making a hiring decision.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Just to throw in my .02 on future GT coaches...

Someone on CPJ's staff years ago told me that Jeff Monken was the best "next HC" on the staff at that time. It was years before he got the HC job at GSU. He did a great job there, and put his own stamp on the CPJ spread offense. He would be great.

My other scenario would be Willie Fritz, if we go with someone outside the CPJ tree. He took a flexbone roster and maintained a dominating run game with incredible success in his short time at GSU. He didn't run the under center 3O, but it was a smooth transition and fun to watch.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Just to throw in my .02 on future GT coaches...

Someone on CPJ's staff years ago told me that Jeff Monken was the best "next HC" on the staff at that time. It was years before he got the HC job at GSU. He did a great job there, and put his own stamp on the CPJ spread offense. He would be great.

My other scenario would be Willie Fritz, if we go with someone outside the CPJ tree. He took a flexbone roster and maintained a dominating run game with incredible success in his short time at GSU. He didn't run the under center 3O, but it was a smooth transition and fun to watch.

Fritz is only 2 years younger than PJ

I don't know the guy who wrote the article but his credibility went out the window with me when he listed Brian Bohannon as a potential top candidate to replace Paul Johnson. There will never be a former Georgia Bulldawg hired to be the head coach at Georgia Tech. Ted Roof is the next in line unless Johnson decides to Coach another 10 years. I know a lot of you won't like that but that is the most likely scenario.

Go Jackets!
Frankly, I would rather have a former mutt as HC than Ted Roof, even if he does finally build a decent defense for us. I just don't think he's HC material.

Yomanser

Recruiting Insider
Retired Staff
I think it's utter nonsense to pigeonhole yourself into only choosing from candidates that run a particular style offense or come from a particular head coaching tree. When the time comes that CPJ is no longer the football coach for Georgia Tech, I hope that we look at all options and choose the best head coaching candidate available regardless of what offense he runs or where he comes from