Looking into Tech's FB Future (FTRS)

Cam

Helluva Engineer
I am acting on the assumption that Todd Stansbury is our AD when CPJ retires. The question really comes down to whether he would choose a non-flexbone option coach to take over. It will be interesting to see which coaches are available in 4 years; Tom Herman was only an OC at OSU 4 years ago. Would hiring a fired Gus Malzahn (for cheap) be a good move for us? Going for Scott Frost if he rises at UCF? Both options are guys who have similar offenses, but a little bit more en vogue. What about picking up Charlie Strong given how his culture would likely fit well with ours (though he'd be 59)? I would personally be happy with taking Monken if he shows continued improvement. If CPJ wins the ACC once or wins the Coastal twice over the next 4 seasons (and at least 2 for 4 against uga), I'd say we'd definitely go for a disciple as at least the OC (but likely HC).

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
I am acting on the assumption that Todd Stansbury is our AD when CPJ retires. The question really comes down to whether he would choose a non-flexbone option coach to take over. It will be interesting to see which coaches are available in 4 years; Tom Herman was only an OC at OSU 4 years ago. Would hiring a fired Gus Malzahn (for cheap) be a good move for us? Going for Scott Frost if he rises at UCF? Both options are guys who have similar offenses, but a little bit more en vogue. What about picking up Charlie Strong given how his culture would likely fit well with ours (though he'd be 59)? I would personally be happy with taking Monken if he shows continued improvement. If CPJ wins the ACC once or wins the Coastal twice over the next 4 seasons (and at least 2 for 4 against uga), I'd say we'd definitely go for a disciple as at least the OC (but likely HC).
Scott Frost will not be available by the time we are hiring another coach unless Johnson gets fired this season. And if he does well he probably bolts for Nebraska next time that job is open.

Media-types seem to think Geoff Collins would be someone interested in the GT job if he does well at Temple, and the timing is a bit more manageable for the "graceful exit" CPJ timeline.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
I think the last few years have proven that if you're good enough to win the ACC, you are good enough to win it all. If CPJ wins one of those, maybe even comes close, we won't be changing offenses when he leaves. In that case, the AD at that time should have enough sense to let CPJ hand pick his successor from among his disciples. That leaves Roof out of contention unless the reason we won the NC was because our defense became like a roof falling on you.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
This guy must be good. He goes six years and at least five recruiting classes out and predicts the offense, HC, OC, DC, uniforms, records, ACC championships and before I forget, Johnson's retirement. And on the 7th day ...

alagold

Helluva Engineer
In predicting at least one conference title--we are going to have improve GREATLY our DL and pass rush capability .We very well may but if not ,we can only go so far.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Honestly, a lot can happen in 5 years, including coaches we haven't heard of yet, ala the Malzahn/Herman route.

Although I love our set, I wouldn't be opposed to going to a different offensive system.With the way teams are getting smaller to counteract the spread, I sometimes wonder if an I set wouldn't score a bunch. Just maul your way down the field.

I would also throw in Goose as a possibility.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
From the article: "Looking at this list, personally, I would be fine with any of these options except for Ted Roof. Roof, while he does have head coaching experience and is a Tech alum, would not be a good option for head coach in my opinion. He would be 56 or 57 at the time of accepting the job, which is already pretty old for a coach.

Looking at the likeliness of everyone else, I feel like the GTAA would want Ken Niumatalolo or Jeff Monken as the top options, given their track records as head coaches. Both of these guys will still be relatively young, yet experienced head coaches by the time Paul Johnson’s contract runs out.ut
"

It's pretty obvious that the author has a CTR bias since Roof will be "pretty old" but Niumatalolo will be "relatively young" in 2020. Roof is only two years older than Niumatalolo.

Other than that, it was an interesting article.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
From the article: "Looking at this list, personally, I would be fine with any of these options except for Ted Roof. Roof, while he does have head coaching experience and is a Tech alum, would not be a good option for head coach in my opinion. He would be 56 or 57 at the time of accepting the job, which is already pretty old for a coach.

Looking at the likeliness of everyone else, I feel like the GTAA would want Ken Niumatalolo or Jeff Monken as the top options, given their track records as head coaches. Both of these guys will still be relatively young, yet experienced head coaches by the time Paul Johnson’s contract runs out.ut
"

It's pretty obvious that the author has a CTR bias since Roof will be "pretty old" but Niumatalolo will be "relatively young" in 2020. Roof is only two years older than Niumatalolo.

Other than that, it was an interesting article.
When the writer of the piece uses a word, it means just what he chooses it to mean, nothing more nor less. Good catch.

But if I had to guess on any coaching change, assuming it would be voluntary, my guess would be that Johnson would time it to best help the guy he wants following him, meaning mostly contract. (So his choice would not sign a five-year extension or such and take himself out.) I could see him going early, on time, or later. Dean Smith set the template for that at UNC with Guthridge. By the time he quit it was too late to search, so Guthridge was moved up. Turned out well, though, since he went to two straight Final Fours, I think. But for the foreseeable future I want to see what Johnson can do with this talent.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I think the last few years have proven that if you're good enough to win the ACC, you are good enough to win it all. If CPJ wins one of those, maybe even comes close, we won't be changing offenses when he leaves. In that case, the AD at that time should have enough sense to let CPJ hand pick his successor from among his disciples. That leaves Roof out of contention unless the reason we won the NC was because our defense became like a roof falling on you.

IF that were to happen then the first thing to do would be to fire the AD that abdicated their responsibility.

Next, hiring a HC based on what O system they run is insane. Their are several other factors more important. One of the most important being D - where championships and programs are built.

Another big mistake most schools make is hiring someone because they, perhaps decades before, were associated with the school. Sadly we have done this at least 5 times.

And college football is, every year, dominated by the "latest & greatest." There is no way on earth to tell, even 2 years from now, who that person might be.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I don't know the guy who wrote the article but his credibility went out the window with me when he listed Brian Bohannon as a potential top candidate to replace Paul Johnson. There will never be a former Georgia Bulldawg hired to be the head coach at Georgia Tech. Ted Roof is the next in line unless Johnson decides to Coach another 10 years. I know a lot of you won't like that but that is the most likely scenario.

Go Jackets!

Sideways

Helluva Engineer

Amazing. Even in a discussion about futuristic coaching changes and recruiting the ever present issue of uniforms comes up. I appreciate the author's insights and willingness to go out on a limb. The one thing I do not wish to see is Coach Johnson hanging on like Bobby Bowden and Joe Paterno did to the ultimate detriment (to some extent) of their legendary coaching reputation. One of the hardest things to do is to know when it is time to walk away. I kind of think that Paul will have a better grasp of this than many coaches whose egos get the better of common sense.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
IF that were to happen then the first thing to do would be to fire the AD that abdicated their responsibility.

Next, hiring a HC based on what O system they run is insane. Their are several other factors more important. One of the most important being D - where championships and programs are built.

Another big mistake most schools make is hiring someone because they, perhaps decades before, were associated with the school. Sadly we have done this at least 5 times.

And college football is, every year, dominated by the "latest & greatest." There is no way on earth to tell, even 2 years from now, who that person might be.

Nothing is sacred in college football anymore. Today's dynasty is a scandal away from becoming tomorrow's laughingstock. It can change on you just that fast.