looking ahead B Back

charles

Jolly Good Fellow
Leggett is still a Question mark because he has yet to play a snap yet, Assuming he pans out to be a good player what kind of depth do we have at that position and do we have any size back there, Remember the B back is where it starts , we need to reload every year with duo of Day's and Laskey to be succesful

Yoda

Helluva Engineer
We need a player at that position that has some wiggle too. They don't have to be Dwyer top end, but need to be fast enough to maintain that lead after a great wiggle/juke on an LB.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
'14 Bbacks have already surpassed the '09 Bbacks headlined by Dwyer and the '14 guys still have a game to play. So much for having to have a homerun hitter at the position. I know our OL is better now, but the '09 group had a) Nesbitt, b) Bay Bay and c) newness to offset that advantage.

My main point is that it doesn't matter how you get your Bback yardage as long as you get it. Game breaker at the position or hosses up front, take your pick. The latter seems to work even better and it's a whole lot easier to recruit.

beernutts

Georgia Tech Fan
'14 Bbacks have already surpassed the '09 Bbacks headlined by Dwyer and the '14 guys still have a game to play. So much for having to have a homerun hitter at the position. I know our OL is better now, but the '09 group had a) Nesbitt, b) Bay Bay and c) newness to offset that advantage.

My main point is that it doesn't matter how you get your Bback yardage as long as you get it. Game breaker at the position or hosses up front, take your pick. The latter seems to work even better and it's a whole lot easier to recruit.

Ummm. how about both? Game Breakers and Hosses, what's wrong with that?

I would've loved to have seen more than 1 long TD from the BBack spot, which is really all we got this year (from Days, against NC State). That probably wins us 1 more game this year, at least.

Ramblin Wrecker

Jolly Good Fellow
Without looking anything up, I think the 2011 B-Backs were the "worst" CPJ has ever had: young David Sims, young Synjin Days? (don't remember if he was A or B that year) and Preston Lyons. I feel much better about the boys we have lined up next year than I would about that group and they weren't awful IIRC. Like DCS said, we just need some good production and sound fundamentals. I don't think anyone would say they don't want game breakers back there, but as our QB and A-backs become more dangerous, there is less of an onus on the B-Back to carry the load.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

I would've loved to have seen more than 1 long TD from the BBack spot, which is really all we got this year (from Days, against NC State). That probably wins us 1 more game this year, at least.
I'd love to have both. Maybe Leggett or MLD or Quaide will be that guy, who knows.

Look at it this way, how many of you would have been thrilled at the beginning of the season if I told you our Bbacks were gonna not only surpass Dwyer and Co, but shatter them.

Leggett is still a Question mark because he has yet to play a snap yet, Assuming he pans out to be a good player what kind of depth do we have at that position and do we have any size back there, Remember the B back is where it starts , we need to reload every year with duo of Day's and Laskey to be succesful
Who would have thought in August, Days and Laskey would become the benchmarks at the position. :)

I'd love to have both. Maybe Leggett or MLD or Quaide will be that guy, who knows.

Look at it this way, how many of you would have been thrilled at the beginning of the season if I told you our Bbacks were gonna not only surpass Dwyer and Co, but shatter them.
Who will be the bridge until those youngsters are ready? Is Leggett enough so that MLD and Weimerskirchenberry can red-shirt?

Mary, Mother of God, we won ten games, have a chance at 11. More? May I please have more?

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Well … me, actually. I had Laskey pencilled in to at least equal Dwyer's yardage and I think he would have done that or close to it if he hadn't gotten hurt. As it is, the new two-headed monster at BB has surpassed even my expectations; we'll end up missing those guys. A lot. No more "It's third and Laskey!"

Oth, a rumor circulated here that the team thinks Leggett is every bit as good as Custis and many here thought he would be the universal solvent at BB this year. I expect that we'll have some trouble replacing the Big Two, but I also think we'll see good production from the position. Leggett has a decent turn of speed on him.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Leggett has had a year in the program and will have spring and fall camps to get ready.
Quaide will have a spring and fall camp to get ready.
And we do not need to leave out Braswell the W/O from Pius X and Bryan (6'5 235) who is being carried on the roster as a BB.
And there has been discussion of moving Marcus Allen back to BB.
These are the guys in the house.

MLD? Has not even signed as of yet. We will just need to wait and see.

I am optimistic on the position next season due to the OL which I believe will be a dominant part of the team.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Here is hoping ZL and SD pad their lead come Wednesday night! I still see this as a position of concern because we need quality depth. A twisted ankle can happen at any time. I have no doubt Leggett is as good as advertised, but we need somebody behind him who can get it done. I like our recruits film, but you just never know until they show up. Counting on true freshmen never makes me comfortable.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Mary, Mother of God, we won ten games, have a chance at 11. More? May I please have more?
Always want more! What is amazing to me is how thin the W-L record can be. There are probably less than a dozen plays that could have had us undefeated and in the play offs or under .500. I hate the criminoles but their win streak is amazing because they probably could say the same thing about their year.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
I totally disagree with anyone who argues that ZL and SD were better than Dwyer. Listen, I love both ZL and SD. They have both given all they have for the program, exceeded my expectations, and got every ounce out of their athletic gifts, especially this season as a tandem. That said, Dwyer was a whole nother level, and it is not even arguable to me after watching them all play. ZL and SD have been at worst extremely solid to at best very good. But Dwyer was great. In evaluating those guys, you have to realize that, not only is this O line light years better than the one Dwyer played under, but JT is also much better at making the right read vs defenses. There was a reason Dwyer was not just first named team all-ACC, but ACC player of the year 2008! The guy was something special. It was unbelievable how many long touchdown runs he had at Tech:

This year, ZL and SD combined for 1541 rushing yards (5.2 yds/carry) and 82 receiving yards (9.1 yds/catch).
In 2008, Dwyer had 1395 rushing yards by himself (7.0 yds/carry) and 209 receiving yards (26.1 yds/catch!). Dwyer and Lucas Cox combined for 1595 yds rushing yards.
In 2009, even with a huge target on his back, he again rushed for 1395 by himself (5.9 yds/carry). He and Preston Lyons combined for 1534.

The biggest difference though was that Dwyer could blow a drive open on any play. He had something like 15 plays of over 20 yards from scrimmage in 2008. I am not sure our B-backs had 3 of those combined this year.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
Dwyer was the perfect RB for any school or system (especially the 2008 version). He was big enough to run over LBs and was still fast enough to outrun DBs. I think people forget how much of a special talent he was, especially at a place like Tech.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I totally disagree with anyone who argues that ZL and SD were better than Dwyer. Listen, I love both ZL and SD. They have both given all they have for the program, exceeded my expectations, and got every ounce out of their athletic gifts, especially this season as a tandem. That said, Dwyer was a whole nother level, and it is not even arguable to me after watching them all play. ZL and SD have been at worst extremely solid to at best very good. But Dwyer was great. In evaluating those guys, you have to realize that, not only is this O line light years better than the one Dwyer played under, but JT is also much better at making the right read vs defenses. There was a reason Dwyer was not just first named team all-ACC, but ACC player of the year 2008! The guy was something special. It was unbelievable how many long touchdown runs he had at Tech:

This year, ZL and SD combined for 1541 rushing yards (5.2 yds/carry) and 82 receiving yards (9.1 yds/catch).
In 2008, Dwyer had 1395 rushing yards by himself (7.0 yds/carry) and 209 receiving yards (26.1 yds/catch!). Dwyer and Lucas Cox combined for 1595 yds rushing yards.
In 2009, even with a huge target on his back, he again rushed for 1395 by himself (5.9 yds/carry). He and Preston Lyons combined for 1534.

The biggest difference though was that Dwyer could blow a drive open on any play. He had something like 15 plays of over 20 yards from scrimmage in 2008. I am not sure our B-backs had 3 of those combined this year.

Nice strawman. I didn't say ZL or SD was better than Dwyer, reread my post. Runners don't run in a vacuum. The Bbacks this year have outproduced the Bbacks in '09 and with less athletic gifts and going against defenses way better prepared to stop what we do. That's a tribute to the system and a credit to our OL, qb and entire offensive efficiency.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Nice strawman. I didn't say ZL or SD was better than Dwyer, reread my post. Runners don't run in a vacuum. The Bbacks this year have outproduced the Bbacks in '09 and with less athletic gifts and going against defenses way better prepared to stop what we do. That's a tribute to the system and a credit to our OL, qb and entire offensive efficiency.

Strawman? Sorry if I took your comments that the "'14 Bbacks have already surpassed the '09 Bbacks headlined by Dwyer," and "So much for having to have a homerun hitter at the position," to mean that you thought this year's group was as good or better than Dwyer's group :meh:

That said, I still do not agree with your statement that "The Bbacks this year have outproduced the Bbacks in '09." This year's group has put up 1541 rushing yards in 13 games, but needed 297 carries for an average of (5.2 yds/carry). In '09, Dwyer and Lyons put up 1534 rushing yards, but on only 265 carries in 14 games, for 5.8 yds/carry average. The '09 b-backs also had a much higher number of big plays. Heck, Lyon's 30 yard run was longer than any run ZL had this season.

As you say, "runners don't run in a vacuum." Given that we now have a much better offensive line and a better option QB than we did in '09, I would say that the '09 b-backs definitely out performed this year's b-backs. I agree with you though that the fact that it is even close is "a tribute to the system and a credit to our OL, qb and entire offensive efficiency."

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Strawman? Sorry if I took your comments that the "'14 Bbacks have already surpassed the '09 Bbacks headlined by Dwyer," and "So much for having to have a homerun hitter at the position," to mean that you thought this year's group was as good or better than Dwyer's group :meh:

That said, I still do not agree with your statement that "The Bbacks this year have outproduced the Bbacks in '09." This year's group has put up 1541 rushing yards in 13 games, but needed 297 carries for an average of (5.2 yds/carry). In '09, Dwyer and Lyons put up 1534 rushing yards, but on only 265 carries in 14 games, for 5.8 yds/carry average. The '09 b-backs also had a much higher number of big plays. Heck, Lyon's 30 yard run was longer than any run ZL had this season.

As you say, "runners don't run in a vacuum." Given that we now have a much better offensive line and a better option QB than we did in '09, I would say that the '09 b-backs definitely out performed this year's b-backs. I agree with you though that the fact that it is even close is "a tribute to the system and a credit to our OL, qb and entire offensive efficiency."

'14 ypg = 118.5
'09 ypg = 109.6

More yards per game = more production in my book.

The '09 Bbacks had the luxury of clueless defenses having to key on Nesbitt on the midline keeper, AA on the pitch and Bay Bay on jump balls and smoke routes. The '14 Bbacks had the luxury of a better OL. It's a wash.

Again, I'm not saying any of our current Bbacks are better pure runners than Dwyer. All I'm saying is that we don't need "another Dwyer" to be as equally productive. This year is living proof of that.

That said, I'd absolute love another Dwyer to go with JT and this OL.