Linebaker Situation

slugboy

Staff member
Last edited:

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Yep,LB is a MAJOR question mark.Most guys don't just "fit in " to the Def instantly on transfer. ex-Eley was ok last yr but his 1st yr was less than amazing.. It looks like our 2 starters will likely be transfers as our home talent is much less experienced at best. Also-Ironically the transfer starters may be are Srs ? and so we may have to repeat again the process

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Yep,LB is a MAJOR question mark.Most guys don't just "fit in " to the Def instantly on transfer. ex-Eley was ok last yr but his 1st yr was less than amazing.. It looks like our 2 starters will likely be transfers as our home talent is much less experienced at best. Also-Ironically the transfer starters may be are Srs ? and so we may have to repeat again the process
I think Tatum has a good chance to start. He’s been first guy off the bench last season. He could be ready to take a step

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
He's not saying that Bryant made the tackle. Bryant took on the TE to force the RB outside so the tackle could be made.
Thanks for the clarification. Has Bryant been moved to an inside LB or is he a safety cross trained to play a nickel type roll in certain situations or do we know?

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
This would be a lot less of a question if TFG (and collaborators) hadn't chased off Knight. He would be starting and, with his athletic abilities, he should have been a good replacement for Thomas. But … maybe he still wanted a shot at QB. If Paul had stayed, who knows?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
This would be a lot less of a question if TFG (and collaborators) hadn't chased off Knight. He would be starting and, with his athletic abilities, he should have been a good replacement for Thomas. But … maybe he still wanted a shot at QB. If Paul had stayed, who knows?
Wonder where Knight is?

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I’ve read some strange assessments of our LB unit from last year in this thread. Mainly that Eley was “ok last year and that Charlie Thomas was “only a good player.” We are talking about two guys that made All ACC teams (2nd team AP). If that’s “just ok” then I’m not sure we are going to be good per those expectations at LB for a while. Moreover, Charlie Thomas was a one man wrecking crew for us. He would put up an entire game’s worth of stats in two quarters and shift a game’s momentum all by himself. I wish we had him one more year.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*

What did you see that makes you think Knight would starting?

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Based on what? Feels?
He has a good deal of playing experience. He's fast. He weighs 247. That's 247. If you have any further questions, look at his roster bio from last year.

Mind, I don't know if he would have started at Tech if he had
stayed. Oth, he would have played a good deal, either starting or not. With the current situation, that would be a relief for the position.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I think the NFL just gave their final assessments on Thomas and Eley.

Go Jackets!
Charlie Thomas signed with the Browns as UDFA.

More fundamentally, so that’s the defining factor? Drafted to the league you’re good, undrafted and you’re just ok or bad? No scale of really bad, bad, serviceable, good, really good, great? I think we’ve only had like 220 players drafted, so we haven’t had too many good ones over time.

There are plenty of great college players that aren’t built for the NFL, but I’d be willing to bet Charlie sticks around the league for a little while. His football instincts are incredible. And by most measures Charlie was a very good college player.