Linebaker Situation

Lil G

Jolly Good Fellow
I’m 25, so maybe the comparison pool isn’t big enough for this to mean much. But Charlie Thomas is the best Georgia tech linebacker I’ve ever seen. His nose for the ball made his absence from the field day and night.
He isn’t the biggest or fastest but the man is exactly where he needs to be every single time. I think it’s a testament to the combine being a poor way to measure talent. The Browns got an absolute steal and I think we’ll be seeing him on Sundays once they figure out how he makes plays.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I’m 25, so maybe the comparison pool isn’t big enough for this to mean much. But Charlie Thomas is the best Georgia tech linebacker I’ve ever seen. His nose for the ball made his absence from the field day and night.
He isn’t the biggest or fastest but the man is exactly where he needs to be every single time. I think it’s a testament to the combine being a poor way to measure talent. The Browns got an absolute steal and I think we’ll be seeing him on Sundays once they figure out how he makes plays.
As an older guy I would say that he is certainly NOT in the conversation as best ever but his senior year he made a case as someone who will be remembered for a very long time as a difference maker and as a football player who played "much bigger" than he actually was in the vein of Julian Burnette or Sedric Griffin. He is an impact player who will be sorely missed.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Agreed!
He may also be an NFL steal, and I hope for his sake that he is, but I don't understand the fascination some have with rewriting COLLEGE performance based on NFL draft day. Anyone who thinks his time here is in any way diminished by his draft position (or lack thereof) is peddling an agenda or focused on the wrong stuff.

I want everyone at GT to be successful after GT, but mostly I want them to be successful while they're here at GT. He was a great player for GT and to say anything less is to rewrite history. Would we look back favorably on the last 4 years if we had a half dozen guys and a first rounder in the draft? I sure as heck wouldn't. so why in the world would we diminish GT success because of what NFL scouts and GMs do after the fact? Weird way of looking at the world of college sports if you as me!

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
As an older guy I would say that he is certainly NOT in the conversation as best ever but his senior year he made a case as someone who will be remembered for a very long time as a difference maker and as a football player who played "much bigger" than he actually was in the vein of Julian Burnette or Sedric Griffin. He is an impact player who will be sorely missed.

I'm with you. Swilling & Brooking pop out as the two of the best I remember, but Thomas is definitely in that group if players in the Julian Burnette/Sedric Griffin mold. Quayshawn Nealy also played bigger than his size as well.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I'm with you. Swilling & Brooking pop out as the two of the best I remember, but Thomas is definitely in that group if players in the Julian Burnette/Sedric Griffin mold. Quayshawn Nealy also played bigger than his size as well.
Add Lucious (sp?) to the Swilling/Brooking duo for the Mt. Rushmore of GT linebackers (that I saw in person). We have had many, many more who were outstanding but I am going with these three at the top of the heap.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
Add Lucious (sp?) to the Swilling/Brooking duo for the Mt. Rushmore of GT linebackers (that I saw in person). We have had many, many more who were outstanding but I am going with these three at the top of the heap.
Probably because I was at Tech when he was playing but Phillip Wheeler is a name that leaps to mind when I think of great GT linebackers. Top 10 for GT career sacks, had 4 INT's in '05, drafted in the third round. Baller.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Daryl Smith, Key Fox, Philip Wheeler, Gerris Wilkinson, Nick Rogers, Gary Guyton all in a short window. From that group, Charlie can hang with all but Smith, probably. They all brought something different to the game. Charlie's got all the tools. It's going to depend on his ability to read and react. He's a heat-seeking missile when he plays fast.

You want best...Sanford, Swilling, Brooking. From a different era: Morris, Baughan, Matthews Sr.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
My favorite pair were Keyaron Fox and Daryl Smith. Fox, at least in my eyes, had a better college career but Smith was more of an impact player at the pro level.
Brooking and Rogers made another impressive pair. And one guy who needs a shout out when discussing great LB's on the Flats was Ted Roof. He could be another face on the Mt. Rushmore. Nothing was especially impressive about him other than his play. But you knew when he was on the field and when he was not. Just a tough, hard nosed football player.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Brooking and Rogers made another impressive pair. And one guy who needs a shout out when discussing great LB's on the Flats was Ted Roof. He could be another face on the Mt. Rushmore. Nothing was especially impressive about him other than his play. But you knew when he was on the field and when he was not. Just a tough, hard nosed football player.

Agree with this as well as @forensicbuzz reply to my post above. I don't remember much GT football prior to the early 80's so some of these other names are before my time.

alagold

Helluva Engineer

CT jumped off the tape for his tackling ability when I saw his hi school film yrs ago.Getting there is one thing (which Charlie did) but dropping the guy quickly is a lost art almost.Lots of "wrassling" these days.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Heart and desire.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
But what does any of this conversation have to do with the "Line Baker" situation? I want to learn about the cupcakes and other things we are gonna gnosh on during the season. :D Sorry I couldn't help myself after reading the typo in the thread title.

You can't bake an LB without opening a can of whoop ***

JacketFan137

Banned
He has a good deal of playing experience. He's fast. He weighs 247. That's 247. If you have any further questions, look at his roster bio from last year.

Mind, I don't know if he would have started at Tech if he had
stayed. Oth, he would have played a good deal, either starting or not. With the current situation, that would be a relief for the position.
i feel like we’re doing the thing everyone did with graham and yates where we pretend like they’re much better players than they really were. when in reality they probably just aren’t great players

knight was definitely a good athlete and probably would have been better on a non collins team, but i’m not sure i would feel good about our linebackers if he was the one starting.