Linebaker Situation

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Most probably LB is the big question mark going into the season. I got very little LB info from the Spring Game
Transfers- White and Oliver and Dean
Experience coming back- Tatum
Players in the system w/o much playing time- Meiguez and Efford and Buffkin and Peyton
Freshmen- Heflin and Cruz and Ashley

Any insights as to how these guys stack up? Or who stood out in the Spring? White was injured and should be in top three with Oliver and Tatum? Meuguez and Efford? Heflin and...? Any info on Dean?

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I like u am concerned about LB and would be interested in knowing who are the likely starters. Appeared to me Oliver is likely one of them but you seem to know more than me.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Most probably LB is the big question mark going into the season. I got very little LB info from the Spring Game
Transfers- White and Oliver and Dean
Experience coming back- Tatum
Players in the system w/o much playing time- Meiguez and Efford and Buffkin and Peyton
Freshmen- Heflin and Cruz and Ashley

Any insights as to how these guys stack up? Or who stood out in the Spring? White was injured and should be in top three with Oliver and Tatum? Meuguez and Efford? Heflin and...? Any info on Dean?
When Efford signed I thought that was a very good thing. Had good size and came from a good program. Has he been injured or just can't get on the field

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Wouldn’t really be going out on a limb here to say that we are taking a step back at LB. We basically had two of the best guys in the conference last year (despite the all ACC voting). It will be a success if we are just serviceable in this department.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
When Efford signed I thought that was a very good thing. Had good size and came from a good program. Has he been injured or just can't get on the field
He must have some sort of injury. He was not in pads at the spring game. He was standing on the sidelines in a jersey talking it up with some of the other players.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
He must have some sort of injury. He was not in pads at the spring game. He was standing on the sidelines in a jersey talking it up with some of the other players.
Several players did not participate in the Spring Game but good news is I saw no casts or boots. The walking wounded seemed to be walking. Really sorry for Blackburn.

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
He was one of the post practice interviews this spring, which makes me think he’s in the mix. Ware and Oliver probably have the most snaps/starts, then it’s probably Dean and Tatum, then it’s probably Meiguez and Efford. Barring another transfer in/out or a breakout freshman, I think that’ll be our depth. I think we’ll be ok.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
He was one of the post practice interviews this spring, which makes me think he’s in the mix. Ware and Oliver probably have the most snaps/starts, then it’s probably Dean and Tatum, then it’s probably Meiguez and Efford. Barring another transfer in/out or a breakout freshman, I think that’ll be our depth. I think we’ll be ok.
Hope u are right, but i am worried that the aggressive defense was really dependent on C thomas's ability to get thru blockers and make solo tackles which prevented big gains.

In Thacker w hope.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
How long do you bake a line in the oven?
As long as it takes...

1682268271662.png

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer

I like your stack of LBs. Dean may not be on campus yet so there is not much to judge there, but Tatum will be in top 3 or 4. As a freshman Heflin got some praise in the game but he is likely a year away. I believe you got Meuguez and Efford about right. i am hoping that White/Oliver/Tatum can do the job with some backups but still time for things to change.

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
I like your stack of LBs. Dean may not be on campus yet so there is not much to judge there, but Tatum will be in top 3 or 4. As a freshman Heflin got some praise in the game but he is likely a year away. I believe you got Meuguez and Efford about right. i am hoping that White/Oliver/Tatum can do the job with some backups but still time for things to change.
Andre WHITE…my bad I had Andre Ware on my mind haha.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think Charlie Thomas was our best player on defense last year. He played above his natural God-given abilities and led by example. Even with that, he really was only a good player. Ace was similar and played solid for the most part. Other than those two we really did not have a lot to show. Tatum played some but really did not distinguish himself in most games. It looks like Efford and Miguez are not going to be all-stars so we have to hope Heflin and Cruz can bring some spice to the mix. Oliver looks the part and I am not sure what White can add.

I'm hoping hard that out of the 7 or 8 guys we have lined up to play that we can find 2 or 3 that can knock the living hell out of somebody.

Go Jackets!

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I think Charlie Thomas was our best player on defense last year. He played above his natural God-given abilities and led by example. Even with that, he really was only a good player. Ace was similar and played solid for the most part. Other than those two we really did not have a lot to show. Tatum played some but really did not distinguish himself in most games. It looks like Efford and Miguez are not going to be all-stars so we have to hope Heflin and Cruz can bring some spice to the mix. Oliver looks the part and I am not sure what White can add.

I'm hoping hard that out of the 7 or 8 guys we have lined up to play that we can find 2 or 3 that can knock the living hell out of somebody.

Go Jackets!
Hopefully the very experienced coaching at the LB position will make a positive difference combined with what looks like an improved, more experienced DT group. I agree that we need a big time playmaker to emerge at LB. Because of the coaching and the 3 pickups in the portal (so far) I am not as concerned as I was at season end. LBs, unlike OTs, can play earlier if they have the natural ability..

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Hopefully the very experienced coaching at the LB position will make a positive difference combined with what looks like an improved, more experienced DT group. I agree that we need a big time playmaker to emerge at LB. Because of the coaching and the 3 pickups in the portal (so far) I am not as concerned as I was at season end. LBs, unlike OTs, can play earlier if they have the natural ability..
Not arguing, just seeking clarification. OL have the longest incubation period of any position. Comparing how long a linebacker takes to develop compared to OL doesn’t tell me much.

LB might be the most important defensive position in the modern game. You can get by with a serviceable DL if you have a couple of stud LBs. I’m not sure the reverse is true.

Good LB coaching will be important as you said. But how long these guys will take to develop and what their ceilings are is an unanswered question.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
White, Oliver & Tatum appear to be pen in as the starters with Meiguez & Sirad Bryant. If we get the same effort out of our DL as we did last yr then LB will be fine
Agree.Sirad is a safety unless something has changed in the last few days. Maybe you meant Efford?