Linebackers

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Of course PJ Davis and Marcordes and probably Lewis can bring the pass rush but who among the LBs are good coverage players, if any? I would expect Noble. Any others?

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
Opposing QB's aren't going to have much time to set up to pass this Fall so I'm thinking our LB's will be responsible for more Zone Coverage, Blitzes, and slobber-knocking anyone who actually who tries to stretch in passing situations. ;)

MtownJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Not PJ Davis. He got burned often. But considering that was his biggest thing to improve we will see what they have done with him since last season.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Davis has struggled in this area. This is where the lack of length usually shows up for LBs. Currently, we don't have anybody like Brandon Watts. Well, anybody I have seen yet that is.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Davis has struggled in this area. This is where the lack of length usually shows up for LBs. Currently, we don't have anybody like Brandon Watts. Well, anybody I have seen yet that is.

I was hoping Lewis would be that player but his not being on the depth chart is an indication that maybe he is not yet ready? I will be looking for some LB play with good pass coverage but fear this is a shortcoming with this group. Maybe superior run stopping will compensate somewhat.

chrsw003

Jolly Good Fellow
Ya im in the boat that was dissapointed not to see Lewis on the depth chart. A Lewis, Davis, Vic trio sounds pretty good to me. But I aint the coach

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
I'm thinking Noble will be the best.Marcordes is awful in coverage and PJ isn't great, they both can rush the passer tho. I hope coverage won't be a problem b/c the QB will be on the ground.

wishbone

Georgia Tech Fan
Not PJ Davis. He got burned often. But considering that was his biggest thing to improve we will see what they have done with him since last season.
Two years ago our leading tackler was not a linebacker. Last year it was. Finally.
Cogitate. Relax.
PJ is a beast. He has a team of hurt with him.
BTW Marcordes is a QB converted to LB. He beat out significant talent. Coverage noodled .
Its gonna be a fun year!

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Not terribly concerned here unless there are injuries. D-line is going to make 'backers' jobs much easier this year (barring rampant DL injury).

I like Macordes and feel when healthy in the second half of the year he played well. The experience will help him this year. PJ Davis is terrific in pursuit and is everywhere. Experience and focus playing more within the scheme should help him this year. Dominique Noble can hit and cover and I have confidence in him backing up PJ. We less frequently play 3 backers, but when we do the guys there will be capable run stoppers.

Having an experienced secondary and a good run stopping strong safety in Demond Smith will also help out the backers.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
My prediction, although it is a negative one, is that our LB's will continue to struggle mightily in this area. We just don't have the length/speed combination necessary to stop the short pass attack. With that said, CTR will get very creative, and I am optimistic he will minimize the pain in this area.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
I'm thinking Noble will be the best.Marcordes is awful in coverage and PJ isn't great, they both can rush the passer tho. I hope coverage won't be a problem b/c the QB will be on the ground.

PJ is great. Not great in coverage, because of his short and stocky size, but he plays at 110%, he's a good run stopper, very good tackler, and good at getting to the QB when asked to do so.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
We are playing a nickel base defense for a reason. I think we are hoping some of your new recruits grow into lbs in the future. Would be nice to have more help in covering TEs and to drop back lbs into coverage with confidence (e.g. Tampa 2) so we make it much harder for QBs to read what's coming. With an improved line, we'd amp up our sacks and ints.