Linebacker play

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
Like Jerry said, we could be 5-1 with a few breaks going our way. We got all the breaks in 14 and haven't had much since cept for FSU.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I think we have some talent at Linebacker. PJ is a warrior and a tackle machine. Brant is getting better with experience, Terrell has shown some ability, Victor has stepped in and played well and Curry is going to be really good with time. Alford is a good player as well. I think we have played some very good offensive teams so far, Clemson, Miami and Pittsburgh are all very talented on that side of the ball. We just need to get the offense and defense working together. It seems like when one sputters the other one does too. They need to pick each other up more. I see the potential and really feel like we will get there we just need some success and confidence to build on. We could have won the Miami and the Pittsburgh games with just a few more plays on both sides of the ball.

Go Jackets!
not to be rude, but our definition of talented must be way different. Brant looked better last year, so I don't see how he's getting better, curry is undersized and it has shown (I do like how well he tackles), Alford hasn't done much, I think Vic has the chance to be good, and yes PJ is good but not great. I do agree we could have won either game, but I just don't see how D getting better unless some things change.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think some help is on the way at DT from the recruits this year too. Young master Hanson looks like the kind of character we need on D and I bet Roof gets him. I also think Swilling will get some time at LB next year, provided he doesn't come in and light things up at BB. I'm pretty sure he'll get a shot at both.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
That throw-back pass to a 300 lb OL was a perfect example of how ill-prepared our def is.Most times we are set and almost inert in our movement but apparently the Pitt coaches saw where are so "unused to" a chance to get the QB that this screen pass would send every DEf player into a crazed pursuit state and out of position.Watch PJ take off like a jet as well as Freeman who really lost perspective and left the backside wide open.
I wish we pursued as well as this on "normal" plays.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
That throw-back pass to a 300 lb OL was a perfect example of how ill-prepared our def is.Most times we are set and almost inert in our movement but apparently the Pitt coaches saw where are so "unused to" a chance to get the QB that this screen pass would send every DEf player into a crazed pursuit state and out of position.Watch PJ take off like a jet as well as Freeman who really lost perspective and left the backside wide open.
I wish we pursued as well as this on "normal" plays.

My first thoughts on that play were how slow we were. Dude had a caravan but none of them had to block anything (except the 1 Austin twin) cause we never caught up to any of them. Yeah, I get it, they had a head start ..... but they were all OL!!! :mad:

alagold

Helluva Engineer
My first thoughts on that play were how slow we were. Dude had a caravan but none of them had to block anything (except the 1 Austin twin) cause we never caught up to any of them. Yeah, I get it, they had a head start ..... but they were all OL!!! :mad:
yep, amazing that we are mostly in a "set" defense with little movement out of set position but on this play--rabid overpursuing chaos!

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
When I flipped the game up from my laptop to the tv screen, my girlfriend immediately, without thinking, said "wow, they are much bigger than the jackets."

the D is more or less a position-level too small at every level. e.g. Pat Gamble is DE sized, Keshun is OLB sized, our CBs are nickels and one of our WLBs is a safety (curry). the interior is small, and the exterior is smaller. it doesn't hold for the whole two-deep, but it's indicative of the challenges these guys as well as their coaches and coordinators face. as boomer said, no defensive scheme works if their OL controls your DL. more blitzing just means more unjustifiable (send more blocked guys?) risk.

that said, i really get a perverse joy out of watching this team fight. they do have a ton of heart, which is to say they play to the whistle, through the 4th quarter and often put themselves in good positions (e.g. dropped INT last game, Pat Gamble in the right spot but flat footed on the jet sweep).

it's tough to watch sometimes but i don't think it's right to put it all on scheme.