Linebacker play

Deltajacket

Georgia Tech Fan
What is going on with our LBs? Roof is said to be coaching this group and they seem to be regressing. Mitchell is having an awful year and PJ isn't doing much. Alford hasn't done much. Vic and Tre have gotten some snaps but no real meaningful playing time yet. Any of our former players on here have a guess what is going on?

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
No responses to this thread because there is no Linebacker play. It has been atrocious. Guys out of position, Guys blitzing from 8-10 yards off the line, guys not getting off blocks, terrible tackling and pursuit angles. On top of this we bench some guys for a mistake and play "friends" more. I am done with Roof. Give me an aggressive DC. Who cares if they score on a big play. I'd rather get the O back on the field quick versus them sitting for 5-8 mins watching D give up a TD anyways.

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
I felt like Brant was going to be a stud coming off last year. WTH happened? Why isn't Victor seeing the field? Only guy playing is Curry and he is very undersized.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
I've been fairly impressed with Terrell Lewis - seems to flash some when he plays. Vic finally looked pretty decent today in relief of PJ Davis. Not sure what's up with Brant, but it's like he's not even there - very little positive impact in the game.

Deltajacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Our LB blitzes just look so vanilla. No imagination, no twist, no disguise, no timing. It looks like peewee ball. When we don't blitz I see slow reaction and inability to get off blocks. I wondered how much of all that is caused by the poor DL play in front of them? Mitchell has definitely regressed from last year and shows zero blitz ability. Vic showed a few flashes today.

Our LB blitzes just look so vanilla. No imagination, no twist, no disguise, no timing. It looks like peewee ball. When we don't blitz I see slow reaction and inability to get off blocks. I wondered how much of all that is caused by the poor DL play in front of them? Mitchell has definitely regressed from last year and shows zero blitz ability. Vic showed a few flashes today.
Seems like others besides LB's have regressed too. What's happened with Keshun and AJ?

Seems like others besides LB's have regressed too. What's happened with Keshun and AJ?
Good question, AJ is supposed to be a stud. At least he was in HS. I would love to see Roof succeed because he is a Tech man through and through, but he is making it hard to keep supporting the effort. I know the loss of three DL was a major set back, but he's had time to heal those wounds. Like to see a little Tenuta come out of him with his blitz packages.

UgagSucks

Jolly Good Fellow
We are seeing virtually zero effective LB play this year. Who are our playmakers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Hoping PJD is good to go next week. Not b ecasue I think we'll need him to win, but because I hope the injury isn't too bad.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
One of the things I see at our LB spot is lack of athleticism and speed. Our guys are so stiff in coverage, and have a hard time staying with RBs/TEs/and even QBs.

We use to have guys at LB that could run with anyone and were good at playing in space. GT was kind of a LB U for a bit. The guys we have right now look lost in space. We've got a lot of "hard nose" types that are built to play the run, but just aren't as good defending the pass. The game is different now. Teams look to spread you out, then you have to deal with mobile QBs on top of that. The pass is becoming what the run was. Can't have "2 Down" LBs littering the LB corps.