"Life Lessons from Calvin Johnson's Dad"

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I have never met the Johnsons. Regardless, their son is probably my favorite athlete (in any sport) that I have followed for my entire sports loving life. Not only an amazing, physically gifted football player, he stands nearly alone as a beacon of light in a world that has gone absolutely sideways in terms of sportsmanship and personal integrity. I love the fact that he has a meaningful life outside the game, but perhaps most of all, I love how Calvin gets excited after making plays in a football game while maintaining a truly humble exterior, that in no way, seeks extra attention. I can remember an interview in the stands during CJ's TECH days, where the senior CJ expressed a message towards his son through the sideline reporter " to whom much is given, much will be expected". To me, that says it all. For the most part, that message is completely missing in much of the professional sports arena. We are so unapologetically all about ourselves in today's society that it sickens me. I can't tell you how glad I am that one of our own carries the torch that leads us through the darkness.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Brilliant line in there that needs to be told and retold to recruits and their parents: “Calvin plays football,” his father said firmly. “If that’s all he wanted to do with his life, he wouldn’t have gone to Georgia Tech.” At Tech it is expected that you use the game, at most other places, where higher education goes on for only non-athletes, the game uses you.

Calvin Johnson played football. But playing (anything) does not make ones' life a success.

My uncle worked with CJ Sr. and he can attest to this article's veracity in its portrayal of Calvin's father, and of the family in general.