Life after Paul Johnson.... hypothetical question

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Personally hope that we go back to pro style or west coast

Well, ok, IF we remove recruiting restrictions. Bear Bryant changed from the pro set to the wishbone in the late 1960s. I saw a TV show where he was asked why he did it. As best as I could interpret from that Arkansas drawl he was impressed by two things: First the quarterback does not have to be a Joe Namath or Snake Stabler for the offense to be effective. The quarterback has fewer reads and less pressure. Secondly, in a pro set it seemed to him that the blocking has to be almost perfect while in the triple option if one or two guys make great blocks or a defender takes a false step its Katie bar the door. There were other things but the Bear liked the idea of having smaller and quicker linemen coupled with backs like Tony Nathan and Major Oglive who only needed a step and a crack.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
All depends on how CPJ leaves. If the team's performance declines and he is fired, absolutely no way in the world Tech would hire another option coach. If, on the other hand, he has a few more successful seasons and decides to retire, I think we would hire the best coach we could get, not excluding or biased towards the option scheme in particular.

Personally, I love the offense and would be happy to see it run in the future. That said, I also enjoyed watching the O'Leary teams...and the Ross teams...etc.

When you are winning everybody enjoys watching the team :) (except for the haters and the opposition...)

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Was anyone else bored by all the pass plays in the national championship game? I sure was. That 4th down winning play could have been a b-back dive. Heehee.
In an interview with Renfro, the reporter said Deshaun was telling the coach during the time out they should run the ball.

I will say, given their lack of ability to go under center, a pass play was probably the correct call for them (I still remember the FSU game a few years ago where they were in shot gun at the goal line and snapped the ball over the qb's head).

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Don't think the boosters would let it happen. We have the best Coach in the Game for our scheme. When he leaves we will likely transition to something else. I'm pretty sure I saw something were boosters were upset that he beat UGA because that might extend his stay.

Who are these boosters? Where can I find them l? And do they have their last will and testaments in order?

Or were you just referring to the nobodies over at the notrealfan site that shall not be named?

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
I would rather Tech be known as a triple option team then be known as the team that couldn't score a touch down against Wake Forest with Calvin Johnson and Tashard Choice.

Can't like this post enough. Glad you brought that game up. We finally sniffed success and then pissed it away. Let's not forget how frustrating those days could be. We are much improved with the TO in my opinion.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
GT does not run the wishbone! Pepper Rodgers ran the wishbone

All the argument over what to call the offense just proves CPJ's originality, or at least his ability to draw from a number of distinct offensive schemes to build his own system. He is candid about this actually. Hence, I prefer to just call it a "spread option" like he does. I gather that some resist following his lead because they don't like putting that term "spread" front and center, either because they hate or love the standard college spread offenses.

Regardless of who Tech hires next, hopefully a decade or more away, I'm kind of surprised more students of the game don't recognize the brilliant innovation CPJ has made with this offense. The flexibilty it brings far surpasses any innovation in going hurry up etc. I think it's the biggest innovation since the wishbone was conceived. Kinda fitting as it is an adaptation of the bone.

18in32

Georgia Tech Fan
Amazingly, I know of these boosters myself. A good friend who was a player for Dodd in the SEC days says many of his former teammates and similarly-aged friends were not terribly thrilled by the UGA win because they knew it meant CPJ would be around longer. He and I agree that this is madness. However much you don't like the coach... you have to hate UGA more.

Personally I don't think this animosity has much, if anything, to do with CPJ's offense. It has everything to do with the streak of mediocrity we endured from 2010-2013, combined with CPJ's sometimes-*****ly behavior. He doesn't suffer fools gladly, and we all like that about him... until he thinks you're the fool. Then it's not so nice. Success like Saban's allows a coach to act however he wants. Losing to Kansas and Middle Tenn and the like? Not so much.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Amazingly, I know of these boosters myself. A good friend who was a player for Dodd in the SEC days says many of his former teammates and similarly-aged friends were not terribly thrilled by the UGA win because they knew it meant CPJ would be around longer. He and I agree that this is madness. However much you don't like the coach... you have to hate UGA more.

Personally I don't think this animosity has much, if anything, to do with CPJ's offense. It has everything to do with the streak of mediocrity we endured from 2010-2013, combined with CPJ's sometimes-*****ly behavior. He doesn't suffer fools gladly, and we all like that about him... until he thinks you're the fool. Then it's not so nice. Success like Saban's allows a coach to act however he wants. Losing to Kansas and Middle Tenn and the like? Not so much.

There's so much I want to say but I won't denigrate former SAs. Suffice to say I disagree with them, they played in a time when the quality of SA at Tech were as good as there was in SE and the rise of the factory schools had just begun. Dodd had little to deal with in bringing in SAs compared with PJ. As far as the 2010-2013 no one was thrilled but 21-19 wasn't firing# to me or another one else I know.

Yomanser

Recruiting Insider
Retired Staff
Has it hurt Oregon or any other spread school? I like the unique qualifier and the longer Tech runs it and is successful it becomes less and less an issue imo. Post above asking why others don't tun it that addressed some very good points but it's always taken a while for an unconventional offense to be adopted. Let PJ and Tech win a NC and I would shocked not to see it adopted more. With Coach Bohannon and other young coaches at lesser division schools having success with the offense I can it being brought along as they rising through the coaching levels.
What is Oregon's unique qualifier? They don't run an offense that the national media continues to spin a false narrative on; if anything, the national media loves it and promotes it. Even then, Oregon just hired a run-first, pro-style Harbaugh disciple as their coach after firing the Chip Kelly spread disciple that went 4-8 (so if you count a losing record as hurting the school, yes, it did hurt Oregon). They don't limit themselves only to what worked in the past, and it should absolutely be the same for Tech. Insisting on hiring another option coach is just short-sighted and stubborn, neither of which will work off in the long run without a lot of luck. The option used to be widely run, especially in the 80s and 90s, but it's not run as much anymore and the style has shifted to the pass-heavy hurry up offenses. I personally love watching the option; but it doesn't appeal to recruits, sorry to say. Our offense is one of the many reasons Tech doesn't land the top recruits (sure, it might not be the biggest reason, but it's absolutely a factor). But besides that point, the reason we should move on is because there is no point in limiting yourself. It only hurts you if you limit yourself and say "This is what it has to be and it can't change", and I'm afraid with another option coach after CPJ our fans will fall into that dangerous mentality. Whatever works, works, whether it's the option, hurry up, or air raid, and we shouldn't limit ourselves when there are already so many factors against us. That's just shooting yourself in the foot

MacDaddy2

Jolly Good Fellow
I really hope they stay with this style of offense... if they can't get the guy from Navy, Monkey from Army is a great choice, Calhoun from Air Force is a great choice, and Bob Davie from New Mexico is a great choice. They led the NCAA in rushing this year and he has pulled that program from the ashes.

Bob Davie is not a great choice. The list, for a spread option coach is impressive but Bob Davie, nope.....