Life after Paul Johnson.... hypothetical question

lastoption

Georgia Tech Fan
The only time I recall anything resembling wishbone would be if the a-backs do the fake motion on 4th and short to try to draw them offsides (which never works) and then instead of calling time out they actually run a play. I think I have seen that a few times and it is very close to wishbone if not true wishbone alignment I think.

You know, I know it's not based on the wishbone, but it's a case of convergent evolution, and the end result is close enough that it doesn't bother me when people call it the wishbone.

It functions essentially as a souped up wishbone, I'm willing to ignore the genotype and let people go with the phenotype.
What too many people don't realize is that the triple option is only one part of Johnson's offense. In fact, in the number of plays run, I believe the triple option is only used 30% of the time, perhaps less. Not being a football guru myself, I frankly can't tell the difference most of the time. Pepper ran a strict wishbone offense his first few years on the flats, and the lineup for that offense was obvious even to non gurus like myself. I don't know how actually to describe Johnson's offense; all I know for sure is that the QB lines up under center on every play, and everything else evolves from that. AND I LIKE IT !!!

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
What too many people don't realize is that the triple option is only one part of Johnson's offense. In fact, in the number of plays run, I believe the triple option is only used 30% of the time, perhaps less. Not being a football guru myself, I frankly can't tell the difference most of the time. Pepper ran a strict wishbone offense his first few years on the flats, and the lineup for that offense was obvious even to non gurus like myself. I don't know how actually to describe Johnson's offense; all I know for sure is that the QB lines up under center on every play, and everything else evolves from that. AND I LIKE IT !!!
OK, we don't line up the halfbacks in the backfield and most of the Time we run two splits so call it what you want. They used to call it the wingbone then Hammbone etc but it's basically the Wishbone. The schemes are mostly the same as I ran in the 80s. The trap and trap option came from the I formation. The counter Trey came from one back and I etc but the basics are Whishbone.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
All depends on how CPJ leaves. If the team's performance declines and he is fired, absolutely no way in the world Tech would hire another option coach. If, on the other hand, he has a few more successful seasons and decides to retire, I think we would hire the best coach we could get, not excluding or biased towards the option scheme in particular.

Personally, I love the offense and would be happy to see it run in the future. That said, I also enjoyed watching the O'Leary teams...and the Ross teams...etc.

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
Right now we're in a unclear spot on the timeline... Even though Paul Johnson is the longest tenured coach at Georgia Tech since Bobby Dodd left in 1967, the fan-base still has not quite bought-into the CPJ system...yet. That could change in a few years, but there's still far too much difference of opinion for everyone to get behind staying the course under a similar coach.

I'm as ardent a CPJ supporter as anyone and hate to increase the pressure, but I think it would take another couple of ACCCG appearances and a title for GT Nation to become fully convinced we're running The Perfect Option at Georgia Tech. Also continuing the trend of beating Georgia at least 1/3 of the time goes a long way THWG! We need those carrots (while avoiding back-to-back bad seasons) to elevate Paul Johnson from this "awkward embrace" to full-one coach-love. For good measure, it sure would be nice if the AD would regularly endorse our coach and brag about how our Option offense overcomes GT's inherent disadvantages, but anyway...

Life after Johnson? At the moment we're at a crossroads. A few good seasons away from full-on support, but I fear we could easily head down the same self-destructive path as our foolish friends in Athens as well.

Last edited:

Boss Ross

Jolly Good Fellow
There was a time that running the Wishbone was a sure way to get fired. That was when everyone ran the Wishbone. In my opinion if you have lesser athletes than your best opponents you try to run a system that few others do. That's why I think the Wishbone is perfect for us and Paul Johnson is perfect for us. If half the teams in the ACC start running it then change maybe. If not I love it.

Personally I love to watch it.
GT does not run the wishbone! Pepper Rodgers ran the wishbone

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
All the argument over what to call the offense just proves CPJ's originality, or at least his ability to draw from a number of distinct offensive schemes to build his own system. He is candid about this actually. Hence, I prefer to just call it a "spread option" like he does. I gather that some resist following his lead because they don't like putting that term "spread" front and center, either because they hate or love the standard college spread offenses.

All depends on how CPJ leaves. If the team's performance declines and he is fired, absolutely no way in the world Tech would hire another option coach. If, on the other hand, he has a few more successful seasons and decides to retire, I think we would hire the best coach we could get, not excluding or biased towards the option scheme in particular.

Personally, I love the offense and would be happy to see it run in the future. That said, I also enjoyed watching the O'Leary teams...and the Ross teams...etc.
Lots of option plays on the O'Leary and Ross teams

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
I really hope they stay with this style of offense... if they can't get the guy from Navy, Monkey from Army is a great choice, Calhoun from Air Force is a great choice, and Bob Davie from New Mexico is a great choice. They led the NCAA in rushing this year and he has pulled that program from the ashes.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I really hope they stay with this style of offense... if they can't get the guy from Navy, Monkey from Army is a great choice, Calhoun from Air Force is a great choice, and Bob Davie from New Mexico is a great choice. They led the NCAA in rushing this year and he has pulled that program from the ashes.
Bob "quarterback duck" Davie.