Life after Paul Johnson.... hypothetical question

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Has Paul Johnson established a tradition at Georgia Tech where they will want to play this brand of football? Or would they be willing to change gears and go with a spread offense found at most schools in the country?

For example, if CPJ said he was going to hire, would Ken Niumatalolo from Navy, Jeff Monken from Army, Bob Davie from New Mexico, or Troy Calhoun from Air Force be candidates to replace CPJ? Or does the option only live with Georgia Tech as long as CPJ is here coaching it?

ASURAMS07

Jolly Good Fellow
I have been wondering this exact same thing myself for awhile now. I guess the question would boil down to who the AD is at the time CPJ decides to leave or retire.

ramblinvak

Ramblin' Wreck
Based on Todd's early comments, it seems like he is a big fan of the brand of football we are playing. If CPJ hangs it up in the next few seasons and GT shows the level of success we have had the last few seasons, I think TS would keep the TO humming on the flats

Coachbraun72

Georgia Tech Fan
Army ran the wish bone from 1984-1997 with some success. So much so, that Navy hired a coach that ran it (CPJ). Then when a new AD came to West Point he hired a young offensive Genius to run the cutting edge O of the day. After a steady decline, Army finally hit a bottom, manifested by a humiliating losing streak to Navy and continued failure against Air Force. This trend was reversed this year in no small part to hiring Monken and again embracing the Spread Option.

I would caution any AD hiring after CPJ to heed the lessons of History and stay with the CPJ tree and this offense.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Don't think the boosters would let it happen. We have the best Coach in the Game for our scheme. When he leaves we will likely transition to something else. I'm pretty sure I saw something were boosters were upset that he beat UGA because that might extend his stay.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Don't think the boosters would let it happen. We have the best Coach in the Game for our scheme. When he leaves we will likely transition to something else. I'm pretty sure I saw something were boosters were upset that he beat UGA because that might extend his stay.

Any booster that was upset as a result of Tech beating GA needs to have their fandom revoked! What a bunch of bulls**t!!!!!!!!!!

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
Army ran the wish bone from 1984-1997 with some success. So much so, that Navy hired a coach that ran it (CPJ). Then when a new AD came to West Point he hired a young offensive Genius to run the cutting edge O of the day. After a steady decline, Army finally hit a bottom, manifested by a humiliating losing streak to Navy and continued failure against Air Force. This trend was reversed this year in no small part to hiring Monken and again embracing the Spread Option.

I would caution any AD hiring after CPJ to heed the lessons of History and stay with the CPJ tree and this offense.
Troy Calhoun of Air Force would be a nice hire for GT when CPJ retires and he runs an offense similar to Georgia Tech's.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Too many variables. .

Hire a HC based almost entirely on the O he runs? Hope not.

I think MikeJackets is pretty much spot on.

Can you imagine the interview if, for conversation sake, a guy like Bill O'B was available - "now you are going to run the TO, right?"

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Has Paul Johnson established a tradition at Georgia Tech where they will want to play this brand of football? Or would they be willing to change gears and go with a spread offense found at most schools in the country?

For example, if CPJ said he was going to hire, would Ken Niumatalolo from Navy, Jeff Monken from Army, Bob Davie from New Mexico, or Troy Calhoun from Air Force be candidates to replace CPJ? Or does the option only live with Georgia Tech as long as CPJ is here coaching it?

Unless we completely change our academic requirements (doubt this happens), I hope we stay with what we run.

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
Too many variables. .

Hire a HC based almost entirely on the O he runs? Hope not.

I think MikeJackets is pretty much spot on.

Can you imagine the interview if, for conversation sake, a guy like Bill O'B was available - "now you are going to run the TO, right?"
I would back that as long of the potential GT head coach hadn't been an assistant at UGAG.;):p

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
There was a time that running the Wishbone was a sure way to get fired. That was when everyone ran the Wishbone. In my opinion if you have lesser athletes than your best opponents you try to run a system that few others do. That's why I think the Wishbone is perfect for us and Paul Johnson is perfect for us. If half the teams in the ACC start running it then change maybe. If not I love it.

Personally I love to watch it.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
The boosters that probably know nothing about football except when's on the surface. I see so many people complain about what we run and as I start talking to them I realize they know hardly anything if anything at all about football in depth.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Niumatalolo is NOT leaving Navy. It's just not happening. If he didn't leave for BYU, he's not leaving for GT.
Jasper is much more realistic than Ken N.

There was a time that running the Wishbone was a sure way to get fired. That was when everyone ran the Wishbone. In my opinion if you have lesser athletes than your best opponents you try to run a system that few others do. That's why I think the Wishbone is perfect for us and Paul Johnson is perfect for us. If half the teams in the ACC start running it then change maybe. If not I love it.

Personally I love to watch it.
Except Tech doesn't run the wishbone. In fact, I don't even think it's in Johnson stable of plays. The triple option is somewhat similar, and possibly the same in overall effect, but it's not a wishbone.

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
Except Tech doesn't run the wishbone. In fact, I don't even think it's in Johnson stable of plays. The triple option is somewhat similar, and possibly the same in overall effect, but it's not a wishbone.
To me Georgia Tech's offense is similar to the Veer run in Houston from the 1960s-1980s and at UGAG in the 1970s also at South Carolina from 1983-1986.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
You know, I know it's not based on the wishbone, but it's a case of convergent evolution, and the end result is close enough that it doesn't bother me when people call it the wishbone.

It functions essentially as a souped up wishbone, I'm willing to ignore the genotype and let people go with the phenotype.