Let's talk U(sic)GAg

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
I am proposing to remove a lineman and add a LB, and use a safety for run support.
I am trying to understand, so please bear with me:
Ok so if our base D is 4-3-4 that would become 3-4-4, correct?
And our nickel package is 4-2-5, so that would become 3-3-5, correct?
4 players to defend the pass, and 7 for the run. Their runs are power based where they pull guards and tackles, so a DE will be out of the play by default. The LB and Safety will even out the playside numbers.
I don't know. I still think I'd rather have the beef on the line. I still have nightmares of the game where they ran every play up the middle for like 7-8 a pop.

TheTaxJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Only thing that scares me about UGA is their offense. Our defense is going to have to play their best of the year.

I agree with the poster above that said their defense is about like UVA or VT. Not nearly a Clemson D. Miami comes to mind too. Miami's D is just as athletic as UGA's, they just had a stupid alignment.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
According to footballoutsiders F/+ ranking, U[sic]Ga is comparable to d'oh U.
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/fplus

I agree with their DFEI stat and think VPI and CU are hands down the best D's we've faced (top 5). I also agree that the Duke and UVA D's come in the next tier (top 15). U[sic]Ga fits in with Miami (top 25). USCe beat georgie by 3 by forcing 2 punts and 2missed FGs, still allowing what amounted to 3.4 pts/drive. USCe won by only punting twice and fumbling once, scoring 5 TDs and a FG in 10 drives, 3.8 ppd.

In some ways that game was like our game against Miami. We scored 4 pts/drive, 4 TDs in 7 drives, against Miami. I think this game against georgie shapes up really well for us. Their D is good but not stifling good like some we've played against. Their O is very good, but it seems that our D is really good when we've regained the power of surprise.

Imo, it's not enough to win this year. We must pwn them.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
Our linebackers and safeties are gonna have to come ready to gang tackle, all game long. We did better against Clemson, but from what ive seen the rest of the year, in regards to our tackling.. were going.to need to gang tackle Chubb. I like the idea of running a 3-4-4 so we can have more speed on the field thats not being.negated by their O-line. If we can force some TOs in this game, It will go a long ways to us winning. I havent seen many playmakers from UGAs defense... But they are at home and for UGA that seems to make a huge difference. But Pruitt hasnt faced alot of option teams with our abilities... So I hope we have a distinct advantage in this dept. Im hoping that we make a few big plays on both sides of the ball and get our team fired up. UGAg is ripe for the taking this year... and our Yellow Jackets will happily oblige!! Go Jackets!!! THWG

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The only time all year I think we might be better off taking the ball first. If we can sustain an opening TD drive and put Bobo behind the 8-ball, he seems to have the tendency to unnecessarily get away from the power run game.

I'd still rather win the second half than the first half. Our coaches make good adjustments at half time so we are better in the second half.

Plus, remember 2008?

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I'd still rather win the second half than the first half. Our coaches make good adjustments at half time so we are better in the second half.

Plus, remember 2008?

Yep. I love getting it to start the second half for that very fact. And that's why I'm glad I don't make those decisions! Nothing like getting a stop first with this offense, because you basically just need that one score advantage!

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
They lined up Floyd on the outside, and it really gave Auburn fits. The perimeter blocking of Auburn scheme is like ours, where they run quick passes where we run the rocket toss. UGA really controlled the perimeter and made most of Auburn's yards come up the middle or Marshall trying to go over the top through the air.

The main difference I see, is if they try the same against us, Auburn perimeter blocking was usually handled by WR's, while we have guys like Charles Perkings and Dennis Andrews who are much bigger and more physical.

I could even see a backfield of Days and Laskey, with Days at A-back to add even more beef. If we can control the perimeter I think our Offense will move the ball consistently against their D.

I am praying that the Defense we have had over the past couple of games shows up against their O. Their RB's scare the beejus out of me and I am hoping for a couple of turnovers.

GT_Inta-neer

Georgia Tech Fan
This could be a game from 1904. Before the advent of the forward pass. I don't think we can stop their running game, I don't think they will fully stop our running game. They might actually end the game with fewer pass attempts than we do. I am much more worried about our D vs. their O than the other way around we will get our points, but can we stop them at all?

thwgjacket

They lined up Floyd on the outside, and it really gave Auburn fits. The perimeter blocking of Auburn scheme is like ours, where they run quick passes where we run the rocket toss. UGA really controlled the perimeter and made most of Auburn's yards come up the middle or Marshall trying to go over the top through the air.

The main difference I see, is if they try the same against us, Auburn perimeter blocking was usually handled by WR's, while we have guys like Charles Perkings and Dennis Andrews who are much bigger and more physical.

I could even see a backfield of Days and Laskey, with Days at A-back to add even more beef. If we can control the perimeter I think our Offense will move the ball consistently against their D.

I am praying that the Defense we have had over the past couple of games shows up against their O. Their RB's scare the beejus out of me and I am hoping for a couple of turnovers.
I really like Laskey but, in my mind, Saturday proved that Days should be at BB more often than not. I'm all for rotating though, fresh legs out of the BB spot are great to have late in a game.

stevo0718

Georgia Tech Fan
I agree with vamos, I think Chubb may be a better every down back. He seems more durable, a load and has high end speed (not Girlie speed though).

I do think dwags may feel over confident in their option defense from the Auburn game. Auburns run plays aren't as quick hitting, and they run all their plays from the gun. We're on the line and the d has to make much faster reactions to the ball. Fingers crossed on this though they've got affletes.

I think one thing that will help us is that this is a noon game. I just watched the quick replay of the dwag game from last weekend and that place was bumpin like it rarely is. I'm happy it isn't being played later in the day.

I think we've got a shot, I don't feel like we will be out of any game we play this season. I hoping for a gutsy defensive effort, I see more 3 and outs than turnovers by the d. I just think if we win it will be that sort of game. Dwags are high in the TO margin this year bc they run so much and very rarely fumble. I don't see that trend changing. It may be a long day, but I like our d much better against a pro style O than the new fangled stuff.

Go Jackets, to hell with georgia.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I don't know. I still think I'd rather have the beef on the line. I still have nightmares of the game where they ran every play up the middle for like 7-8 a pop.

That game still troubles me when I try to forecast this game. That wasn't a very good Uga team iirc. But they just lined up and beat us like stepchildren basically by handing the ball to the I back every play. I think our D could have been in their huddle and still not stopped them.When you know it's coming and can't stop it, it's demoralizing and the worst kind of beating there is. Plus, and this is just an opinion, it reduces the chance of getting a turnover as the O seems to be more relaxed when they don't have to scratch and claw for every yard and first down.

I haven't seen Uga play this year. They used to have very effective TE's that were always a concern. Do they throw much to the TE this year?

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
That game still troubles me when I try to forecast this game. That wasn't a very good Uga team iirc. But they just lined up and beat us like stepchildren basically by handing the ball to the I back every play. I think our D could have been in their huddle and still not stopped them.When you know it's coming and can't stop it, it's demoralizing and the worst kind of beating there is. Plus, and this is just an opinion, it reduces the chance of getting a turnover as the O seems to be more relaxed when they don't have to scratch and claw for every yard and first down.

I haven't seen Uga play this year. They used to have very effective TE's that were always a concern. Do they throw much to the TE this year?

They threw to the TEs a fair amount earlier in the year. Less now that they have some of their better receivers back. They will play action off the run and throw to the TE like we do our ABs

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I am trying to understand, so please bear with me:
Ok so if our base D is 4-3-4 that would become 3-4-4, correct?
And our nickel package is 4-2-5, so that would become 3-3-5, correct?

Correct. By the numbers you would think their O line is out of this world, and it is good, but there runs are really about numbers. I think @stylee pointed this out earlier. They will line up with a 3 WR look, so if you leave one uncovered to have numbers to stop the run they check to the pass. If you do cover the WR with an OLB or nickel back (4-3 or 4-2-5), they pull the back side guard and/or tackle to the play side and block your 3 playside defenders with 5. They get the numbers advantage to one side and open a big lane. If you start cheating to one side they go play action and beat you with a pass. Florida played a good bit of man coverage to stop the run, but they have a good bit of speed and size on their D. We will probably play some man free as well, but they may beat you deep for a big play. A busted tackle will also be a big run. Plug the middle, and get numbers to the edge to contain the run would be my strategy. They will get some YPP, but make them walk it down the field and execute each play for 3-4 yards. I am not sure they are disciplined enough to do that. If they get a penalty and get behind in down and distance then you can play some coverage.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Correct. By the numbers you would think their O line is out of this world, and it is good, but there runs are really about numbers. I think @stylee pointed this out earlier. They will line up with a 3 WR look, so if you leave one uncovered to have numbers to stop the run they check to the pass. If you do cover the WR with an OLB or nickel back (4-3 or 4-2-5), they pull the back side guard and/or tackle to the play side and block your 3 playside defenders with 5. They get the numbers advantage to one side and open a big lane. If you start cheating to one side they go play action and beat you with a pass. Florida played a good bit of man coverage to stop the run, but they have a good bit of speed and size on their D. We will probably play some man free as well, but they may beat you deep for a big play. A busted tackle will also be a big run. Plug the middle, and get numbers to the edge to contain the run would be my strategy. They will get some YPP, but make them walk it down the field and execute each play for 3-4 yards. I am not sure they are disciplined enough to do that. If they get a penalty and get behind in down and distance then you can play some coverage.

Hopefully we can set them up off of some of these clear tendencies of theirs, like fake that we are covering the 3rd WR with a LB, but then at the snap blitz him at the run and roll a safety over to cover the WR etc